How we learned it in school

Coffee talk.
MICHHAWK

Re: How we learned it in school

Post by MICHHAWK »

the teachers unions are the biggest villians of the last 25 months.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:12 am the teachers unions are the biggest villians of the last 25 months.
Tell that to Ukrainians you dumb fuck
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:12 am the teachers unions are the biggest villians of the last 25 months.
Yeah, I too have been paralyzed by fear of what horrific things they will impose upon us all
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

per NatGeo:

…the southernmost manifestation of what we now recognize as a widespread prehistoric artistic tradition [in North America]…

1,000 yr. old cave painting/carving discovered in Alabama
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

that's awesome
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Subverting Climate Science in the Classroom

...Over the past two years school board meetings around the country have erupted into shout fests over face masks, reading lists and whether to ban education about structural racism in classrooms. In Texas, a quieter political agenda played out during the lightly attended process to set science education standards—guidelines for what students should learn in each subject and grade level. For the first time, the state board considered requiring that students learn something about human-caused climate change. That requirement came under tense dispute between industry representatives interested in encouraging positive goodwill about fossil fuels and education advocates who think students should learn the science underlying the climate crisis unfolding around them.
In 2020 two major education advocacy groups—the National Center for Science Education and the Texas Freedom Network—hired experts to grade the science standards of all 50 states and Washington, D.C., based on how they covered the climate crisis. Thirty states and D.C. made As or Bs. Texas was one of six states that made an F. But because Texas is one of the largest textbook purchasers in the nation—and because its elected 15-member State Board of Education has a history of applying a conservative political lens to those textbooks—publishers pay close attention to Texas standards as they create materials they then sell to schools across America. As a former science textbook editor once told me, “I never heard anyone explicitly say, ‘We can't talk about environmentalism because of Texas.’ But we all kind of knew. Everybody kind of knows.” In this way, the proceedings in an Austin boardroom influence what millions of children nationwide are taught.
And yet, as I learned when I watched 40 hours of live and archived board hearings, reviewed scores of public records and interviewed 15 people involved in the standard-setting process, members of the fossil-fuel industry participated in each stage of the Texas science standards adoption process, working to influence what children learn in the industry's favor. Texas education officials convened teams of volunteers to rewrite the existing standards, and industry members volunteered for those writing teams and shaped the language around energy and climate. Industry members rallied to testify each time proposals to revise standards got a public hearing. When the board considered the rewritten standards for final approval, the industry appealed to members to advance their favored amendments, ensuring that the seemingly local drama in Austin will have outsized consequences...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... classroom/
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

those who don’t learn from history…
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think it's appropriate to teach in school at that age but gtfo with trying to tell me what to teach my kid at home unless i'm telling him/her something awful like how to start fires in class, covid isn't real or that more guns saves lives.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:16 pm https://www.today.com/today/amp/rcna78180

smh
I was 9 when we went to Dachau. I will never forget any of it -- especially the smells.

I will also never be able to express my gratitude to my parents for taking me. Easily one of the most important experiences of my childhood.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I got exposed to that stuff at around 4 years old. My parents worked and preschool wasn't full-day so I would spend my afternoon at my grandparents house.

They were Holocaust survivors. My Grandfather never talked about it, but my Grandmother did.

I have had recurring nightmares since that age of Nazis coming to get me. I'm not sure if that indicates I was too young for that or not. I don't think my horror as a child was a bad thing.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:49 pm
KUTradition wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:16 pm https://www.today.com/today/amp/rcna78180

smh
I was 9 when we went to Dachau. I will never forget any of it -- especially the smells.

I will also never be able to express my gratitude to my parents for taking me. Easily one of the most important experiences of my childhood.
i can only imagine

i was maybe 12 or 13 when i visited one of the Japanese-American camps in wyoming, but having already known about the Holocaust i couldn’t help but imagine it as one of those
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think we discussed here, but there was a Japanese American camp in my current town. It was apparently pretty chill tho, more of a summer camp vibe than a concentration camp. They were treated well and had a band and arts and crafts and everything. The locals at the time complained the folks at the camp were fed even better meals than the locals got.

But as for the Holocaust and stuff, that’s why I try to take concerns seriously about…nm.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

smh
Obviously that Ima was grooming her daughter so she'd be susceptible as an adult to CRT.

They never stop.

Proper save by the principal!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:02 pm

smh

i can only imagine

i was maybe 12 or 13 when i visited one of the Japanese-American camps in wyoming, but having already known about the Holocaust i couldn’t help but imagine it as one of those
That same trip, we also went to Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, watched a Soviet military parade in Prague, and had a (presumed) KGB bellhop at our Prague hotel. So...an all-around lesson in totalitarian nuttery.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02082-x

not all that surprising, given that cannibalism in modern humans has only recently (a couple generations) stopped
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:24 pm
KUTradition wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:02 pm

i can only imagine

That same trip, we also went to Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, watched a Soviet military parade in Prague, and had a (presumed) KGB bellhop at our Prague hotel. So...an all-around lesson in totalitarian nuttery.
Last week, my son had a sports thing outside of Philadelphia. We had some downtime and visited Independence Hall (which I'd been to before), as well as the Eastern State Penitentiary (our first modern prison) and Valley Forge.

Independence Hall is very cool, but for some reason (likely because of the remoteness and detuned touristy-ness) the "wow it happened right here" thing was a lot stronger at Valley Forge. Particularly in the cottage Washington rented as his quarters - at the risk of pithiness, it was very awesome to be "in the room where it happened" in terms of Washington, with assistance from Hamilton, Lafayette, Laurens, etc., plotting out how to survive the winter and grow a coalition force into the United States Army.