Lance Leipold

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Lance Leipold

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

This presser is good. He doesn’t fluff much of anything. Few words. Very direct.

I like him.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

He just said he was more interested in the job AFTER Long got fired.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

I like that he had people reach out to him and tell him he's the right fit for this job. Also glad he confirmed the rumors that he had reached out to both Mason and Mangino as he was going through the interview process.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I get Mangino and Mason vibes from him. Hard working. No Bull shit. No flashing a championship ring. Some kids won’t like it but I guarantee more will. It is about time this program had tough, smart and disciplined football players.

In the words of CnB...I wonder how Monken would have done?
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:30 am I get Mangino and Mason vibes from him. Hard working. No Bull shit. No flashing a championship ring. Some kids won’t like it but I guarantee more will. It is about time this program had tough, smart and disciplined football players.

What I keep coming back to when thinking about Leipold is we finally got humble and hired a Snyder-type.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:32 am
holidaysmore wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:30 am I get Mangino and Mason vibes from him. Hard working. No Bull shit. No flashing a championship ring. Some kids won’t like it but I guarantee more will. It is about time this program had tough, smart and disciplined football players.

What I keep coming back to when thinking about Leipold is we finally got humble and hired a Snyder-type.
I think I heard him described the other day as a grinder. Now he won't be as crazy as Snyder was like when he told an assistant who left the facility for a quick lunch and a convenience store drink "I'll fire you if you leave the facility when we have everything you need here" But he's got that mindset. He's going to do what he can to outwork you.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Sounds like at least Grimes and Elliot are out. Probably DeBord as well.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Think that's why the OL from Texas decommitted. Because Grimes got the news.

Eliot is an easy out. He wants to bring his own coordinators, and that's fine.

DeBord shouldn't be here another week, honestly. I am on record as saying he's not as bad as many think, but he won't be as good or as young as Leipold's guy is.

UnholyLivingDead

Take it for what you will, but Grimes, Elliott, and the S&C guy have all removed references to KU from the bios on their Twitter pages.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Interesting finding: Borland, Leipold's longtime DC, coached football and softball at Baker in the 90's.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:43 am Take it for what you will, but Grimes, Elliott, and the S&C guy have all removed references to KU from the bios on their Twitter pages.
Eliot has him at Kentucky as pic. He gone. lol

The strength guy kind of stinks because I think he was good and players were used to him and his stuff but man coaches are stubborn and want their guys.

UnholyLivingDead

DeBord seems to confirm his status on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/BrendanDzw/status/1 ... 0191263745
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

2 of the previous 4 OC hires never coached a game at Kansas.

Woof.

Had a feeling a lot of this was coming because Leipold said today he had a lot of tough conversations yesterday. Good talks but some tough conversations.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

We can thank Long and his nepotism for that million or so down the drain. What a comical bit of errors this AD has been through all in the name of football.
Holidaysmore - 2005
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:21 am We can thank Long and his nepotism for that million or so down the drain. What a comical bit of errors this AD has been through all in the name of football.
The money for Debord sucks. He can buy a nice boat with the money he just got.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Seemingly paying about $1M between the 2 coordinators to let them go. I know Leipold's buyout seemed to be about a $1M as well. Maybe a little less than that.

Expensive transition, but worth it if it all works out.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Albeit to different worlds and completely off topic I'm sure the academic side of the house is just peachy with the laize faire mentally the athletic department takes to paying off coaches and assistants while tenured professors and academic programs are getting cut down or are on the chopping block.

DeBord and Elliot were never going to make the transition. DeBord sealed his fate on Saturday and even though it was short I thought Elliot did the best he could with the tools he was given. Elliot will get another job some where else and DeBord can thank his old buddy, Long for that nice, new shiny boat he was able to get from KU for five months of work.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Long and Miles's behavior forced their hands to take small buyouts, so this is actually one of the easiest and cheapest transitions we've had over the last decade plus.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

Press conference was good. After hearing it, I think a lot of his staff will come from Buffalo. Hopefully, their buyouts are not crazy.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

And all things considered the BEST case scenario any of us could have realistically asked for.
Holidaysmore - 2005