Lance Leipold

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Lance Leipold

Post by pdub »

Chargers gonna press hard for Harbaugh which makes sense.

Jayhawk fans gonna have a nerve wracking early offseason.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:10 pm Right.
He’s already worshiped here and could go 0-12 next season and we wouldn’t bat an eye giving him another shot the following. And the peak storyline is just a greater gap: from basement dweller to national contender? Give him a statue next to Bills and a suggestion box to boot.

But $$$$ for all the best recruits you want and a clearer path at a natty.
Is it a clearer path for a natty though? I’m not sure I’d agree with that. At least not unless the long-term realignment outcome preserves major conferences outside the Big Ten and SEC, but hard-codes half of the playoff spots to those leagues. Something weird like that.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sounds like Leipold will be back in Lawrence next year.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:21 pm Sounds like Leipold will be back in Lawrence next year.
Maybe you’ve seen something I haven’t, but I think the headlines are misleading. Turning down UW doesn’t mean here next year, with Michigan about to open.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Leipold posted this an hour ago.

"The guys come back to campus tomorrow. Can’t wait to get back to work with them in ‘24!!

Rock Chalk!!"

He seems too old school to post something like that and bolt a week later.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“I don’t give a shit about North Carolina”
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:19 pm
He’s already worshiped here and could go 0-12 next season and we wouldn’t bat an eye giving him another shot the following. And the peak storyline is just a greater gap: from basement dweller to national contender? Give him a statue next to Bills and a suggestion box to boot.

Is it a clearer path for a natty though? I’m not sure I’d agree with that. At least not unless the long-term realignment outcome preserves major conferences outside the Big Ten and SEC, but hard-codes half of the playoff spots to those leagues. Something weird like that.
Michigan will absolutely attract the best recruits—the kind of guys who might be in the NFL if not for the whole age/years of college thing. Kansas is not even close to there yet. So yea the competition in the B10 is higher but the ceiling is astronomically higher at this point.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:27 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:19 pm

Michigan will absolutely attract the best recruits—the kind of guys who might be in the NFL if not for the whole age/years of college thing. Kansas is not even close to there yet. So yea the competition in the B10 is higher but the ceiling is astronomically higher at this point.
I don’t disagree on ceiling at all.

Obviously what we’re hoping for is that, for any number of plausible reasons, Lance wants what he has and can have here.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:24 pm “I don’t give a shit about North Carolina”
If a legit elite program comes calling for Lance he's absolutely going to listen. That's just the reality of how the coaching game works. But there are only 8-10 of those, and I am not sure he's risen to that level of attention yet.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes, maybe we hope that Michigan doesn’t seriously consider him at this point and goes after bigger names.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

How far KU has come that a mid-tier P5 job comes open (Arizona) and KU's coach isn't in play...because there's not even a chance he'd go.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:42 pm Yes, maybe we hope that Michigan doesn’t seriously consider him at this point and goes after bigger names.
I say let ‘em. Because if they do, and he stays, and we open a stadium he built…he’s here until he’s done.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Leipold has zero history with Michigan. Apples and oranges there.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Take Kleinman at ksu plz.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:46 pm
Leipold has zero history with Michigan. Apples and oranges there.
Kind of.
I’m more relating that Roi was very much old school and said this and went back on his word only days later.
You never know.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

The Bama's Georgia's Michigan's Ohio State's etc of the world get their pick usually regardless of previous ties to the program. Just like KU Duke UK and UNC do in basketball.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:43 pm How far KU has come that a mid-tier P5 job comes open (Arizona) and KU's coach isn't in play...because there's not even a chance he'd go.
Putting it together in back-to-back seasons is huge --especially when your star QB is out for most of the second season.

Last year, at this point, the Nubs considered LL beneath them, a joke. As far as I know, Trev Alberts never even made serious inquiries. This year? They'd kill for him, and he wouldn't bother.

That's a huge step in 12 months.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:09 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:43 pm How far KU has come that a mid-tier P5 job comes open (Arizona) and KU's coach isn't in play...because there's not even a chance he'd go.
Putting it together in back-to-back seasons is huge --especially when your star QB is out for most of the second season.

Last year, at this point, the Nubs considered LL beneath them, a joke. As far as I know, Trev Alberts never even made serious inquiries. This year? They'd kill for him, and he wouldn't bother.

That's a huge step in 12 months.
Don't let a few big mouths on social paint the full picture. There were a ton of Husker fans here who were in favor of hiring Leipold. They are very happy with Rhule though.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Kansas has agreed to a new contract for coach Lance Leipold that features a significant raise in his average salary to more than $7 million per year, sources told ESPN.

The new contract does not feature any new years in his deal that runs through 2029, per sources, but the raise from the $5 million he made in 2023 serves as another sign of Kansas' aggressive commitment to football in recent years under athletic director Travis Goff."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... m-per-year
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:51 am "Kansas has agreed to a new contract for coach Lance Leipold that features a significant raise in his average salary to more than $7 million per year, sources told ESPN.

The new contract does not feature any new years in his deal that runs through 2029, per sources, but the raise from the $5 million he made in 2023 serves as another sign of Kansas' aggressive commitment to football in recent years under athletic director Travis Goff."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... m-per-year
Good.