Contributor

Lance Leipold

Post by Overlander »

Yes!
Overlander
Contributor

Re: Lance Leipold

Post by Overlander »

Not super stoked about the hire, just happy we seem to have gotten the best we could have hoped for.

Plus, it's finally over.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Glad I don't have to listen to "is he going to run the triple option?!?" for the next six months.

KU needs an influx of talent and some solid coaching to put a watchable, competitive team out there. Enough of this D2 caliber bullshit. There's no good reason why Kansas cannot field a competitive football team. If Kansas State and Iowa State can, KU should be able to as well.
Last edited by twocoach on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

The last couple of days we were all sold on how great Monken would be here at KU but we all forgot just how consistent of a winner with less Leipold was. That description and philosophy is SPOT ON what KU football needs right now.

The knock we have heard about for Leipold is 'crootin. In that case retain Chevis, Drake and Jones and find young and hungry assistants to do the 'crootin for you. Leipold should be focused on winning because once you do that everything else will take care of itself.

It is a PHENOMAL day to be a Jayhawk!
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Whoa.
OK.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Sounds like Goff had some concerns about the offensive scheme Monken was going to bring with him.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Is he gonna run the triple option?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:32 am Is he gonna run the triple option?
Quadruple option, bro.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We keep stealing Buffalo's coaches.
Let's hope this one goes better.
Deleted User 865

Post by Deleted User 865 »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:36 am We keep stealing Buffalo's coaches.
Let's hope this one goes better.
Word is Leipold at least offers Twix instead of Snickers and doesn't require the players to give a puriety pledge.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Buffalo thing doesn't bother me. You know that Dana Anderson, et al. were spooked as hell by the Buffalo stigma and Leipold still sold them.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

What I like the most about the Buffalo thing. Gill's best year is like Leipold's 3rd or 4th best year.

He's different man.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:47 am What I like the most about the Buffalo thing. Gill's best year is like Leipold's 3rd or 4th best year.

He's different man.
There is no question that Leipold can coach football, the door is shut on that.

It's not so dissimilar to Klieman's situation where the big question is can he get the guys to Kansas? So far, Klieman has struggled there, which is why I think you need to strongly encourage he consider Emmett Jones.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I mean. You have to keep Jones. And I think he will.

The thing I like the most about him is even though he struggled recruiting to Buffalo (always bottom half) his teams always finished upper half of conference.

He can develop players. Now if he can develop a ton of 3 stars and make them 4 star players, you have something there.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Deleted User 865

Post by Deleted User 865 »

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:56 am I mean. You have to keep Jones. And I think he will.

The thing I like the most about him is even though he struggled recruiting to Buffalo (always bottom half) his teams always finished upper half of conference.

He can develop players. Now if he can develop a ton of 3 stars and make them 4 star players, you have something there.
Yes, encouraging. I am guessing he was getting 2*'s and NR's at Buffalo and got them to play really well in the MAC.

But, just the big difference is you can't turn a team full of 2*'s here into Big 12 competitive. Just have to beat out Iowa State, Kansas State and Mizzou for a good number of recruits.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

True. But if you get say a couple 2 star guys.. Ahem Talib and Chris Harris, and develop them, you will be fine. Still can't shoot for that low though.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Right, you need him to get something like #6 ranked recruiting classes in the Big12 and turn those into 3rd place finishes, in conference.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:44 am Buffalo thing doesn't bother me. You know that Dana Anderson, et al. were spooked as hell by the Buffalo stigma and Leipold still sold them.
Agreed. Kansas and Kansas State both hired coaches who had been at Illinois and I'd say they have had pretty different results. Previous school stigma is silly.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:04 am Right, you need him to get something like #6 ranked recruiting classes in the Big12 and turn those into 3rd place finishes, in conference.
Wait, what?
You need him to get like #8 ranked recruiting classes and turn them into 6th place finishes, in conference.
That's like 4-5 conference and 6-6 overall.