2021 Spring Game Thread

Kansas Football.
UnholyLivingDead

2021 Spring Game Thread

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

If anyone is watching on ESPN+ (or in the stadium) and wants to discuss. Here's how the scoring will work.

https://twitter.com/KU_Football/status/ ... 27171?s=19
NewtonHawk11

Re: 2021 Spring Game Thread

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Like mostly every spring game, defense beating offense.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
UnholyLivingDead

So uh, the offensive line and Mike DeBord's offense really suck huh?
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

No way DeBord sticks around.
UnholyLivingDead

No way. Not sure he was going to anyway but yikes. Maybe Leipold will bring is OC from Buffalo.

We need Jason Bean to be halfway decent because the QBs are not good. But even if he is, not sure what he can do behind that o-line.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Not good if your offense can only score one TD on Kansas.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Defense could be good.

Offense. Really bad.

Kendrick. Ugh.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I watched that. The offense was crappy. Horne has elite speed that actually is beyond the arm strength of the KU QBs, save maybe for Daniels. The good thing though, LL is an offense guy and that is where most of the energy needs to be laser-focused. Les was terrible for the offense and could not dork it up. Still dorked.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Reading about Leipold’s OC, I want absolutely no part of Debord this season. Deuces.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Loved the Goff and Leipold interviews. We'll hear more from them today, but you can just tell Leipold knows what he is doing. We haven't had a coach this direct since Mangino. He's not promising a ton except that if the guys provide hard work, they will win.

But yeah CnB, I think there is a chance Leipold brings both coordinators along with maybe his OL coach and then he may keep 3-4 guys on the staff here.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

UnholyLivingDead

All of the post-spring game buzz now sounds like both coordinators will be joining Leipold. The DC was already pretty much a give I thought. After the spring game it seems obvious we need his OC. All of the radio chatter Friday was his OL coach Scott Fuchs was going to be a key component on the staff. Fuchs was the OL coach at North Dakota State from 2009-2013 then went to Wyoming with Craig Bohl before Leipold hired him.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Give me both coordinators, Fuchs and then a couple Buffalo guys on the line on both sides and I'm happy.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Man, just doing some in depth work on Leipold's Buffalo staff. He's loyal as shit to them. Brought them from Wisconsin-Whitewater and they've gone with him. All for that.

UnholyLivingDead

Yeah his coordinators have been with him every step of the way. That makes me all-in for keeping them together, they know the plan.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Don't really care what he does with the DC as I think Eliot is pretty good--either way is fine. Supposedly, the young OC is kind of the brains behind the football side of Leipold's success. Need him here.

As for the rest, keep Jones and 1-2 other guys here that we know can recruit. Otherwise, the Wisconsin-Whitewater staff is a concern to me. Go national and find guys that we know can recruit our needed areas.
UnholyLivingDead

The big ones we need to keep are obviously Emmett Jones, but also Josh Eargle and Chevis Jackson. Not only are they solid position coaches but they have been our successful recruiters. Add Kwahn Drake to that list as well, he's brought in some good young talent on the defensive line.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah. I think I saw a report that KU may have asked during the interview to retain a certain percentage of the current staff. My guess is 3-4 guys.

I'm in same boat about Eliot. I don't think he's bad by any stretch. Pretty good actually. The defense has been, by far, not been the worst thing about this program in terms of on-field execution.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I understand Liepold wanting to keep his staff together. I'm fine with that. You have to assume a couple stay behind, look for other spots.

Seems like he should keep Jones to avoid a massive player exodus, and maybe someone else, if he wants to.

Otherwise, bring in some fresh blood. Get some young recruiters. I don't see any reason why the incoming guy needs to make it work with people who are already here. Other than to keep the roster in place, but then what, that means you cut some guys loose in a year or two?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

I just hope we figure out the assistants staying/coming this week.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:49 amOtherwise, bring in some fresh blood. Get some young recruiters. I don't see any reason why the incoming guy needs to make it work with people who are already here. Other than to keep the roster in place, but then what, that means you cut some guys loose in a year or two?
It seems like we are on the same page with the staff breakdown. I want new blood outside a couple of holdovers from both KU and Buffalo, but the problem may just be the late timing of everything for this season. May have to have a heavy Buffalo/Kansas staff for 2021.