A sad PSA

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

A sad PSA

Post by japhy »

A sad Public Service Announcement

We all “know” the personalities on here, but behind every avatar there is an actually person and a real life. Most of us don’t know the person behind the anonymous chatter, but I do know several of you in your real life. I have known feral/shirley for many years, going back to our time when we both lived in Parkville and frequented LJW’s KUSports website.

The first time I met him was when I invited “shirley” and “her husband virgil” over for dinner sight unseen. At the predetermined hour a scruffy dude came walking up our sidewalk with a shit eating grin on his face. “So….you shirley or virgil?” The answer was “I am shirley; virgil wouldn’t come with me because she thought you might beat me up when you found out I wasn’t a woman.”

So that is how I met “virgil”, in absentia. She was the cautious, level headed one.

I could start with the snark about how she was the “better half” and all, but they were really a team. Both good people and complementary souls. They moved to Florida to be near “virgil’s” granddaughter several years ago and so I haven’t seen them lately, but we keep in touch.

After a long tough battle with cancer, “virgil” passed on Wednesday evening. Having watched a loved one pass that way it can be both a blessing as well as painful when it is finally over. I have spoken to feral a few times since then, he is pretty wiped out. It is going to take some time for him to process how to go on with life.

Luckily he has more people that love him than he probably realizes. We will get him through this.

Leawood and I have suggested he meet us at Solstice for some weed and tequila therapy, we will see.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 89

Re: A sad PSA

Post by Deleted User 89 »

please pass along my condolences and kind words, japhy

i pm’d shirley, but he’s obviously and understandably got more important things to deal with
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I knew "Virgil" was ill and not doing well. This is sad news. Thanks for sharing. Please pass along my condolences to "Shirley" as well.

RMan sent me a PM back in the .commie days telling me that Shirley is a guy. I didn't believe him at the time.
Defense. Rebounds.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Talking boxing on the old .com board with Shirley really helped spur my interest in the sport back in those early days.

Condolences to Shirley and the family as they process. Very sad to hear of the loss.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

That sucks.
Shirley is good peeps.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

He can bunk at my place on his way to Colorado. I can’t handle the altitude
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

That sucks, sorry to hear.

I've been on these boards 10 years and never realized he was a dude.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Mjl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:27 pm That sucks, sorry to hear.

Really?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Overlander wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:33 pm
Mjl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:27 pm That sucks, sorry to hear.

Really?
Yep
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i thought he was a she for the longest time

it was only through pm’s that i learned otherwise
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

But I thought Lobster and Shirley dated?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:56 pm But I thought Lobster and Shirley dated?
Do you have a problem with that?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

japhy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:17 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:56 pm But I thought Lobster and Shirley dated?
Do you have a problem with that?
I thought lobster might.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Condolences to family and friends. I never really “knew” Shirley and Virgil, but I am saddened regardless because I feel like this is a true community! RIP.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Mjl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:27 pm
...never realized he was a dude.
Glad I'm not the only one. I'm sorry to learn this under these circumstances, tho'. My sincere sympathy to him and his friends here on the board
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This is a big time bummer. RIP Virgil.

Years ago I remember exchanging pm’s with Shirley, who mentioned a wife, and my initial reaction was, whoa cool, lesbos!

But I think Japhy first spilled the Shirley gender reveal beans on me when we went fishing.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm sorry to hear about this. Shirley, if and when you come around to reading this, my thoughts are with you and your loved ones.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Shirley is always a woman to me.
Of course, to me, words and prayers are kinda useless, but I’ll extend them because even if they are the tiniest bit useful, Shirley is my kinda gal, and she deserves everything/anything that can help in the time period of this life that sucks so very hard.

Best from pdub.
I’d send a box of half donuts if I knew where in Florida she lived.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so like half a box of donuts orrr
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No.
12 half donuts.
Duh.