Re: A sad PSA

Post by ousdahl »

so 12 donuts cut in half?

That’s still a full box bro
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

12 divided by 2 is what we are looking for.
Or 12 * 1/2.
12 1/2s.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so 6...a half box of half donuts?

How many quarters?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

A full box of 12 half donuts.
Man.
Did you go to school at UNC?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

We had a cancer scare this week when the wife's dermatologist found a little black mole-like thing on her leg and removed it. Got the call a few days later that it was melanoma (the bad kind of skin cancer).

The good news is that it turned out to be caught quickly enough that it was "in situ" - it hadn't gone deep into the skin yet. So we should be good, thanks to the fact that she's diligent about annual checks from the Dermatologist. Once it gets a few millimeters into the skin the survival rate drops significantly.

All to say - Get annual Dermatological screenings! They're quick, cheap, painless, and can save your life!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sounds like good news.
Defense. Rebounds.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Good news, MJ, I've lived with cancer scares that had completely different outcomes.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Mjl wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:45 pm We had a cancer scare this week when the wife's dermatologist found a little black mole-like thing on her leg and removed it. Got the call a few days later that it was melanoma (the bad kind of skin cancer).

The good news is that it turned out to be caught quickly enough that it was "in situ" - it hadn't gone deep into the skin yet. So we should be good, thanks to the fact that she's diligent about annual checks from the Dermatologist. Once it gets a few millimeters into the skin the survival rate drops significantly.

All to say - Get annual Dermatological screenings! They're quick, cheap, painless, and can save your life!
Just reminded me I should probably start doing that. My dad has had some spots removed and some have been close to pretty nasty.

Glad all is well with Mrs Mjl
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ditto

sucks getting to the age where these kinds of things are becoming more and more of a concern
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

japhy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:03 pm A sad Public Service Announcement

We all “know” the personalities on here, but behind every avatar there is an actually person and a real life. Most of us don’t know the person behind the anonymous chatter, but I do know several of you in your real life. I have known feral/shirley for many years, going back to our time when we both lived in Parkville and frequented LJW’s KUSports website.

The first time I met him was when I invited “shirley” and “her husband virgil” over for dinner sight unseen. At the predetermined hour a scruffy dude came walking up our sidewalk with a shit eating grin on his face. “So….you shirley or virgil?” The answer was “I am shirley; virgil wouldn’t come with me because she thought you might beat me up when you found out I wasn’t a woman.”

So that is how I met “virgil”, in absentia. She was the cautious, level headed one.

I could start with the snark about how she was the “better half” and all, but they were really a team. Both good people and complementary souls. They moved to Florida to be near “virgil’s” granddaughter several years ago and so I haven’t seen them lately, but we keep in touch.

After a long tough battle with cancer, “virgil” passed on Wednesday evening. Having watched a loved one pass that way it can be both a blessing as well as painful when it is finally over. I have spoken to feral a few times since then, he is pretty wiped out. It is going to take some time for him to process how to go on with life.

Luckily he has more people that love him than he probably realizes. We will get him through this.

Leawood and I have suggested he meet us at Solstice for some weed and tequila therapy, we will see.
Curious as to why someone would call themselves selves female when they were actually male. Maybe she is transgender? This reminds me of that song by Johnny Cash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOHPuY88Ry4
Last edited by dolomite on Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Whoops, bumped this because it was a cancer-related PSA. Sorry Feral/Japhy, I didn't expect that ^
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Mjl wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:45 pm All to say - Get annual Dermatological screenings! They're quick, cheap, painless, and can save your life!
Not just dermatology screenings. Most screenings (except colonoscopy 😂) are quick, cheap and painless. Glad to hear all is well Mjl.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Mjl, I am glad all is well, and I am also glad for this thread bump. I took a break from these boards when I saw the pandemic coming. Being back, I have missed Shirley. I thought I shared a comradery with Shirls, but I guess not. I believed Shirley was female.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you aren’t the only one, DP
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley accidentally let the cat out of the bag when we were texting about some property in Mexico.

Good dude.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Did Shirley really know anything about medicine, or was that just google?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Shirley was a practicing MD and is now retired. That is truth.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I dunno, does DC even live in DC? I'm so confused.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Prob RationalDC and also possibly CoyDC but I dunno about the rest.

I mean for real it’s not like anyone ever got a read on CoyDC
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you mean other than him being coy?