MICHHAWK

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by MICHHAWK »

what they been doing for centuries.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:07 am what they been doing for centuries.
hey! we agree on something
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So Jews have been mourning the destruction of their temple there for thousands of years.

But now they’re cheering on the destruction of one of the holiest mosques in Islam.

I’d ask if we could all just get along, but unfortunately the more evidence that religion thread has already made us dum.
Deleted User 89

makes me think that neither of their gods are the “real” one
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

is what's going on in that part of the world a real concern for you? does it keep you up at night?
Deleted User 89

if only Kushner was still at the helm...he coulda solved all their problems if only he had more time
Deleted User 89

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:17 am is what's going on in that part of the world a real concern for you? does it keep you up at night?
me, or Ousie?

it’s not a real concern for me outside of the loss of innocent life

as we both alluded to...it’s been happening for generations. it’ll most likely continue to happen in spite of “our” efforts
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:17 am is what's going on in that part of the world a real concern for you? does it keep you up at night?
we can only imagine the fallout if a bunch of Muslims bombed a Christian church in Michigan.
Deleted User 89

as he had admitted, mich only cares about himself and his family
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

zero interest in oushies newest attempt to bash organized religion considering we already have a 100 page thread for oushie to bag on organized religion.
Deleted User 89

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:45 am zero interest in oushies newest attempt to bash organized religion considering we already have a 100 page thread for oushie to bag on organized religion.
so, their fighting isn’t due to religion?
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

I'm not a smart guy so I am often reluctant to chime in on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.
Bottom line, if people don't know the differences between why Israel and Palestine are fighting, then perhaps they should take the time to educate themself - if they really care.
Yes, I need to heed my own advice and I have a VERY basic understanding of the current conflict and should probably learn more about it.
Before anyone accuses me of being one sided with the rest of my post, I think (key word being think - not know) both "sides" are being assholes - to different degrees - for different reasons

Mich says, "what they been doing for centuries".
* I say, true and false.
Israel hasn't existed as an "independent" Jewish "state" for even a century.
There is more to this current conflict than just what is happening in the Old City.

Ousy says, "So Jews have been mourning the destruction of their temple there for thousands of years.
But now they’re cheering on the destruction of one of the holiest mosques in Islam.
I’d ask if we could all just get along, but unfortunately the more evidence that religion thread has already made us dum".
* I'm confused. Honestly, I don't know the answer to this. Has there been an attempt to destroy/destruct the Aqsa Mosque?
To answer if "we" (in this case meaning Israelis and Palestinians) could all just get along, the not so funny thing is those who are not warmongers, religious fanatics, or terrorists, are able to get along just fine - as I have personally witnessed.

Trad says, "makes me think that neither of their gods are the “real” one"
* Real God or not, I'm extremely cynical when it comes to religion and right or wrong, I believe if there is a "God", God should probably be pretty pissed off at most of humankind for various legitimate reasons.

Mich says, "is what's going on in that part of the world a real concern for you? does it keep you up at night"?
* You're not too sharp if you don't comprehend (and/or don't care about) the MANY reasons why it might be a concern for "you".

Trad says, "so, their fighting isn’t due to religion"?
* "Due to"? I can't properly answer that but I would probably guess it's not entirely due to religion.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Yes
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:48 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:45 am zero interest in oushies newest attempt to bash organized religion considering we already have a 100 page thread for oushie to bag on organized religion.
so, their fighting isn’t due to religion?
I think the conflict is much more cultural than religious in nature.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:27 am
we can only imagine the fallout if a bunch of Muslims bombed a Christian church in Michigan.
I'm not aware of anyone bombing that mosque, what do you know that I don't?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Maybe it’s “just” stun grenades.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COt90KNh1iJ ... 0oxjq6q4o1
Deleted User 89

seems the conflict is cultural and religious, and in the last 75 years, political as well

thanks, gutter, for motivating me to do some reading

i found this interesting and informative:
https://interactive.aljazeera.com/aje/p ... _main.html

one thing i’ve found interesting, and maybe gutter can shed some light, is that nothing i’ve read draws a distinction between ethnic jews and religious jews (and maybe there isn’t a distinction that matters in this case)

i also found it interesting how relatively little information is available prior to this becoming a political conflict in the mid 1900s
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:12 pm seems the conflict is cultural and religious, and in the last 75 years, political as well

thanks, gutter, for motivating me to do some reading

i found this interesting and informative:
https://interactive.aljazeera.com/aje/p ... _main.html

one thing i’ve found interesting, and maybe gutter can shed some light, is that nothing i’ve read draws a distinction between ethnic jews and religious jews (and maybe there isn’t a distinction that matters in this case)

i also found it interesting how relatively little information is available prior to this becoming a political conflict in the mid 1900s
There certainly is. Generally the ultra-orthodox don't think that being in Israel should be a geopolitical matter - it's the land God gave them, so they'll be there.

For someone like me, it's very much a geopolitical thing, giving the Jewish people a voice on the world stage and a (somewhat ironically) safe haven. And it makes sense that it would be in our historical homeland, which Britain and the UN agree to.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:58 pm Maybe it’s “just” stun grenades.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COt90KNh1iJ ... 0oxjq6q4o1
That's not at all equivalent to blowing it up. And you think the Israeli police just for no reason went in and started shooting?