Rape is bad.

Unless it's a Joo, o'course.

https://twitter.com/JReinerMD/status/17 ... 7961808042
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:10 pm Rape is bad.

I find that tweet very misleading.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Shirley wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:00 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:10 pm Rape is bad.

I find that tweet very misleading.
I dunno. I'd say the full video is considerably worse.

Is the tweet misleading? Maybe -- but only in that it makes Jayapal look less grotesquely antiSemitic than she makes herself look.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Their bodies tell their stories. They’re not alive to speak for themselves. NBC News has reviewed evidence that suggests dozens of Israeli women were raped, sexually abused or mutilated during the Oct. 7 Hamas terror attacks.

In one photo, a burned body appears to project anguish. In another, a woman lies naked from the waist down, her underwear hanging from her leg. In interviews, first responders haltingly describe finding naked female corpses tied to beds and survivors recount witnessing a gang rape at the music festival.

All of this is part of a mounting body of evidence of the gender-based crimes carried out by Hamas terrorists on Oct. 7.

Over the last several weeks, NBC News has reviewed five interrogations of captured Hamas fighters, an Arabic-language document that instructed Hamas how to pronounce “Take off your pants” in Hebrew, six images of naked or partially naked deceased female bodies, seven eyewitness accounts of sexual violence including both rape and mutilation, 11 testimonies of first responders, and two accounts from workers in morgues who handled the bodies of women after they were recovered from the massacre.

The evidence, primarily from the Israel Defense Forces and Israeli officials, suggests that dozens of Israeli women were raped or sexually abused or mutilated during the Oct. 7 terrorist attacks. According to first responders, one was mutilated with a pair of scissors and another stabbed with a knife. The genitals of some men who had been killed were mutilated as well.

Israeli officials say that Hamas militants were instructed to systematically carry out sexual violence on women and children. “This was systematic gender-based violence that was so horrific it’s hard for me to find the words,” said Cochav Elkayam-Levy, the chair of a newly created Civil Commission on Oct. 7th Crimes by Hamas Against Women and Children.

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I had heard that Israeli children held captive by Hamas were kept in the dark, but I hadn't heard they were forced to watch videos taken by the Hamas terrorists when they attacked Israel on Oct. 7th.

Jennifer Rubin of the Washington Post
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Mitchell Minute 1744-University Presidents and the Hearing in Congress

Major donor calls on UPenn president to resign for disastrous testimony on antisemitism, threatening $100 million gift

The walls appear to be caving in on the University of Pennsylvania’s president, Liz Magill, who faces scathing criticism over her performance at a House hearing earlier this week.

Prominent donor Ross Stevens threatened to claw back a $100 million donation. The university’s board of trustees held an emergency meeting Thursday. And the powerful Wharton Board of Advisors that leads the university’s prominent business school called for a leadership change at the university.

Magill remained president after the hastily arranged board gathering concluded Thursday, a source familiar with the proceedings told CNN. But Magill faced a rebellion from Wharton’s Board of Advisors, and a growing coalition of donors, politicians and business leaders who denounced her testimony.

During Tuesday’s House hearing, Magill, along with the presidents of Harvard and MIT, did not explicitly say that calling for the genocide of Jews would necessarily violate their code of conduct on bullying or harassment. Instead, they explained it would depend on the circumstances and conduct.

Magill had already been under fire from prominent donors, faculty, students and alumni prior to Tuesday’s hearing after multiple incidents of antisemitism on campus in recent months – and what critics have said was a tepid response to those incidents.

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

her comments were quite cringy
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:25 am her comments were quite cringy
Not to mention all three presidents seemed to parrot each other, compounding the cringe.
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Shirley wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:15 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:25 am her comments were quite cringy
Not to mention all three presidents seemed to parrot each other, compounding the cringe.
did they all skip the meetings with their respective legal councils?

head-scratching…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Amazing to me that smart and well-intentioned people cannot fucking stop stomping on their own dicks over what is a very, very simple concept: the legal right to say hateful and bigoted and intolerant things does not shield one from the practical consequences of saying them.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

She gone:

Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

If you can't pass the "not a Nazi" test? I guess it is cancel culture, but seems a good idea somehow.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Qatar warns time is running out for a ceasefire in Gaza. All Hamas has to do is raise the white flag.😞
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

153 nations at the UN General Assembly vote in favor of an immediate ceasefire
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the only vote that matters. The only country that matters. The United States of America.

the rest of those teet suppling $#!tholes can $uckit.

is there a bigger farce on the planet than the un.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:39 pm 153 nations at the UN General Assembly vote in favor of an immediate ceasefire
I'm a dumb guy. I'm not understanding the purpose of the vote. Has there been an immediate ceasefire?
Seems they might as well had also voted on if McDonalds fries are better than Burger King fries while they were at it.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:10 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:39 pm 153 nations at the UN General Assembly vote in favor of an immediate ceasefire
I'm a dumb guy. I'm not understanding the purpose of the vote. Has there been an immediate ceasefire?
Seems they might as well had also voted on if McDonalds fries are better than Burger King fries while they were at it.
You know what were some good fries? The ones BK tried to roll out around...something like 1996-1998. Very distinctive taste, in (in my view) a good way.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, the vote was "non-binding," or something lie that. It didn't mean much beyond some symbolic gesture, I guess.

So I suppose that means at least one of two things:

1. 153 nations - the vast majority of the world! - are tired of the militant aggression, and really would prefer a ceasefire.

2. 153 nations are antisemitic. It IS the UN, after all.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:53 pm
yea, the vote was "non-binding," or something lie that. It didn't mean much beyond some symbolic gesture, I guess.

So I suppose that means at least one of two things:

1. 153 nations - the vast majority of the world! - are tired of the militant aggression, and really would prefer a ceasefire.

2. 153 nations are antisemitic. It IS the UN, after all.
Russia, building on (even post-Soviet-era only!) an atrocious human rights record, waged unprovoked conventional war on Ukraine in 2014 and again in 2022.

Russia remains a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council.

That tells me everything I need to know about how much to pay attention to performative hand-wringing at the UN.

"But the warmongering United States, what with its warmongering in Iraq and Afghanistan and have you even heard of Henry Kissinger!," one might reflexively say, if one was prone to reflexively bothsidesing matters of geopolitical conflict.

The United States also remains a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council. So, I'd think that person, too, would not pay much attention to performative hand-waving at the UN.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Weren’t you the guy like, “stop lumping everything together,” like just yesterday?

This is the Israel/Palestine thread. Dunno why you’re clutching your pearls about Russia here too. And Iraq. And Afghanistan. And Kissinger!

But, since you brought it up, yes, I think all of those things should be considered, as part of some very relevant bigger picture, when considering this thread too.