Israel/Palestine

Ugh.
Deleted User 880

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by Deleted User 880 »

zsn wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:00 pm I don’t care who started the whole thing but bombing a building housing journalists and media outlets should be a war-crime. This whole “we are after Hamas leader hiding in the building” followed by “we warned the civilians in the building” is like Trumpalos coming up with excuses for Jan 6. So, you want us to buy it that the civilians are going to evacuate but the Hamas leader is going to remain in the building so that he can be taken out in the bombing? Any sympathy for Israel is evaporating rapidly.

The world has recognized that Hamas is a terrorist organization. The Israeli government is trying very hard to demonstrate that it is no different.
While I have my misgivings when it comes to excuses, the Israelis are not lying about Hamas being "housed" in public buildings and if/when the Israelis decide to take out a building that is a "public" building - they almost always forewarn citizens to get out. That's a bad thing?

It's not necessarily that the Israelis are always trying to take out human Hamas lives in these public buildings. Often the purpose of the bombings is to try and incapacitate Hamas' ability to use the building and to take out whatever Hamas is keeping in that building.
I'm not "defending" it so much as I am explaining it.

YOUR and others sympathy for Israel may be evaporating but for most of those who support Israel, their "sympathy" is as strong as ever.
I'm not one of those people but I know MANY who are.

Do you know that much if not most of the world does NOT recognize Hamas as a terrorist organization?
When the "bad guys" (and even some/many "good guys") continue to support Hamas, it's probably NOT a good thing for any decent people in OUR country let alone others.

I'm not going to argue nor even comment on the Israeli government "trying very hard to demonstrate that it is no different" (in terms of being a terrorist organization) other than to say if someone can't differentiate between Hamas and the Israeli government, then perhaps they might want to join/support QAnon, BLM, the KKK, the Republican Party, and the Democratic party, all at the same time.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

with the single biggest difference between Hamas and the Israeli gummint being, the Israeli gummint gets almost $4 billion a year in U.S. taxpayer money.

Let’s just thank the God Of Abraham that a bunch of Muslims didn’t do this to a synagogue...or heck, a Christian church.
JERUSALEM — Twenty-seven days before the first rocket was fired from Gaza this week, a squad of Israeli police officers entered the Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem, brushed the Palestinian attendants aside and strode across its vast limestone courtyard. Then they cut the cables to the loudspeakers that broadcast prayers to the faithful from four medieval minarets.

It was the night of April 13, the first day of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. It was also Memorial Day in Israel, which honors those who died fighting for the country. The Israeli president was delivering a speech at the Western Wall, a sacred Jewish site that lies below the mosque, and Israeli officials were concerned that the prayers would drown it out.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/15/worl ... a-war.html
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

It must be exhausting pretending to care about everything single thing that occurs on the face of the earth.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

For a half second there I thought you of all people would be upset about the Israelis freeloading off of mich’s hard-earned tax dollars...what’s the Hebrew word for “welfare queen?”

If only they would use it just to get stoned and play Xbox
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yes, we should stop funding the middle east violence. But our government has too much invested in Israel....and oil... to walk away. So, our pandemic relief fund puts more money in the hands of war than in the hands of Americans. But didnt think that was the argument here
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 880

ousdahl wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:37 am with the single biggest difference between Hamas and the Israeli gummint being, the Israeli gummint gets almost $4 billion a year in U.S. taxpayer money.

Let’s just thank the God Of Abraham that a bunch of Muslims didn’t do this to a synagogue...or heck, a Christian church.
JERUSALEM — Twenty-seven days before the first rocket was fired from Gaza this week, a squad of Israeli police officers entered the Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem, brushed the Palestinian attendants aside and strode across its vast limestone courtyard. Then they cut the cables to the loudspeakers that broadcast prayers to the faithful from four medieval minarets.

It was the night of April 13, the first day of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. It was also Memorial Day in Israel, which honors those who died fighting for the country. The Israeli president was delivering a speech at the Western Wall, a sacred Jewish site that lies below the mosque, and Israeli officials were concerned that the prayers would drown it out.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/15/worl ... a-war.html
I would say LOL and ask you if you have ever heard of the Yom Kippur War but there is nothing funny about what is going on today, what you pointed out happened on April 13th 2021, and what occurred for about 3 weeks in October of 1973 (Yom Kippur War).
Many shameful things (and a lack of respect) by BOTH "sides" have been going on for many years.
Doesn't excuse what they have done but it is TWO wrongs that are continuously not making a right.

I'm going to also point out that many if not most people don't understand Israel does more for Palestine in terms of aid (food, gas, medical supplies. etc.) than anyone could ever imagine but hey, maybe people would prefer Israel told Palestine to go fuck its self and let it fall apart all on it's own under Hamas leadership.
Deleted User 880

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:52 am It must be exhausting pretending to care about everything single thing that occurs on the face of the earth.
It must be exhausting to feel the need to call out others who actually do care about things that occur on the face of the Earth - while not realizing and/or not caring how this situation is affecting many people in the world. Probably including some people you care about.

Your post is kind of hypocritical when you have proven on here that at times you live in a fantasy land and "pretend" to care (or not to care) about many things.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

The South African White Government also gave food, gas, medical supplies etc for the South African Black majority population.

The Israeli government could demonstrate that they cared about the Palestinian people by stopping land grab

BTW - I’m in no way excusing or justifying Palestinian violence
Deleted User 880

I don't disagree at all.
I shrug when I read that the Israeli's defend it by saying the "land grabs" are decided in the courts.
As I basically said a few days ago, when negotiating peace, you need to be willing to give something to get something back. There is a big stubbornness on both sides and I'm not knowledgable enough to weigh in on what exactly I feel the concessions should/could be.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Is that a bad thing?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Mjl wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:54 pm
Is that a bad thing?
Depends on who you ask I guess.

Solidifies that the US Govt is all in on Israel.

Italy blocks arms shipments to Israel

We send them 3/4 of a billion to arm them.

It says a lot....if thats good or bad depends on where one stands on a whole lot of ideas and stances.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 880

TDub wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:08 pm
Is that a bad thing?

It says a lot....if thats good or bad depends on where one stands on a whole lot of ideas and stances.
"Italy blocks arms shipment to Israel" is not true.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:08 pm
Is that a bad thing?

Not "send", sold. They're a first world Democracy that contributes a lot to the world. These weapons are intended for precision strikes, as in to reduce civilian casualties. And they bought them.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

We sent them $500 million in the covid stimulus package, why?

I have no dog in the fight and generally would prefer Israel to Palestine for a multitude of reasons...but I am anti endless war and i am anti sending money to help fund it and i am anti continuing to support uproar in the middle east constantly
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:34 pm We sent them $500 million in the covid stimulus package, why?

I have no dog in the fight and generally would prefer Israel to Palestine for a multitude of reasons...but I am anti endless war and i am anti sending money to help fund it and i am anti continuing to support uproar in the middle east constantly
The money from the stimulus bill was part of a larger agreement made in 2016 for missile defense - you consider missile defense to be supporting war? And it was just confirming the already agreed upon amount.

I can agree to the idea of omnibus spending bills not being a thing, and thus not getting already-budgeted money lumped in with Covid relief.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Is that a bad thing?
It’s welfare for the Military Industrial Complex and to the Congresspersons who are a wholly owned subsidiary thereof.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

One curiosity I’ve had is, how much strategic benefit can there really be to blowing up hospitals and news offices and residential civilian buildings, even if the bad guys are supposed to be hiding in there?

If they’re giving warning before they blow it up, do they really think Hamas is just gonna stay sitting around in there, waiting to be exploded? Especially if weighing against any sense of collateral damage, which they aren’t
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:52 am It must be exhausting pretending to care about everything single thing that occurs on the face of the earth.
Says the guy who probably has a "Pray for Israel" thing on their Facebook profile.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG