Israel/Palestine

Ugh.
Overlander
Contributor

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by Overlander »

dolomite wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:00 pm the non-students stop getting paid by George Soros they just quit.
Not the stupidest thing you have ever posted, but definitely in the running
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

^^^^^
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i would be curious to know what % of the protesters are dopey students versus paid professional protesters.

I would predict the paid professionals far outnumber the dopey students.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:11 am i would be curious to know what % of the protesters are dopey students versus paid professional protesters.

I would predict the paid professionals far outnumber the dopey students.
No discriminating observer would dare challenge your insight when it comes to "dopey".
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I would hook the fire hose up and let er rip.

they could wash tent city away in no time.

problem solved.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:02 am I would hook the fire hose up and let er rip.

they could wash tent city away in no time.

problem solved.
We have video of that. It was probably more heroic in your head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LofsPDdwE7E
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Shit, meet fan?

Hundreds of officers from the NYPD's Strategic Response Group have arrived outside Columbia University

At least half of the demonstrators inside Columbia are not affiliated with the school, law enforcement says.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:38 am^^^^^
You and Overlander should get a clue.

https://m.economictimes.com/news/india/ ... 676181.cms
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

dolomite wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:19 pm

I have to admit, you made me laugh harder than I have laughed in a long time!

Japhy has some great YouTube’s that back up your story!
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

The New York Post (NY Post) is an American daily tabloid newspaper published in New York City. The Post also operates three online sites, NYPost.com, PageSix.com, a gossip site, and Decider.com, an entertainment site.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you should invest in a bullshit detector

do better
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Today's edition of you can't make this shit up....

Besides the genius speaking, check out the guy in the background. I can understand him opposing Israel's response after October 7th but I can't help but wonder if he realizes it's considered a "crime" for him to kiss another man in public in Gaza and he could/would go to jail for doing it.

https://twitter.com/OliLondonTV/status/ ... 2098840017
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

no doubt the frat boys and sorority gals are very passionate about the goings ons on the gaza strip.

something don't add up.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

apparently, only ~2% of college students feel the Israel/Gaza is the most important foreign policy issue we face now, compared to ~45% during Vietnam and the related protests

telling

(as heard on the tv…i’ll see if i can find the source)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think this hits a lot of the right notes.
The University of Chicago, as usual, striking the right balance. Worth reading in full. It is exactly right.

President Alivisatos’ Note on the Encampment (April 29, 2024)

Dear Members of the University Community, Just a few hours ago, a group of students established an encampment on the Main Quad as a form of protest. This particular tactic is now in widespread use at universities across the country. At some, encampments have been forcibly removed, with police arresting students and faculty in chaotic scenes that are disturbing. At others, encampments have persisted, despite attempts to shut them down with force. In some cases, encampments have resulted in major disruptions to learning and the activities of the university community.

Free expression is the core animating value of the University of Chicago, so it is critical that we be clear about how I and my administration think about the issue of encampments, how the actions we take in response will follow directly from our principles, and specific considerations that will influence our judgments and actions.

The general principle we will abide by is to provide the greatest leeway possible for free expression, even expression of viewpoints that some find deeply offensive. We only will intervene when what might have been an exercise of free expression blocks the learning or expression of others or that substantially disrupts the functioning or safety of the University. These are our principles. They are clear.

Two recent examples illustrate how we bring these principles into real action. First, last quarter a student group secured university permission to cover a large fraction of the Main Quad with a massive Palestinian flag consisting of thousands of tiny colored flags. The exhibit was accompanied by signage exhorting passersby to “Honor the Martyrs,” and it was staffed by students at tables during certain hours. Those students could explain to passersby why they thought it important to feature this installation, why they thought that language was appropriate, and any other views occasioned by their installation. While this protest and accompanying message were offensive to many, there was no question that it was an exercise of free expression. It stood for weeks until the end of the approved time, at which point the student group removed it, making way for others to express their views in that space as they might see fit. This example should make it clear that we approach the issue with no discrimination against the viewpoints of those participating in this encampment. We adhere to viewpoint neutrality rigorously.

As a second illustrative example, in November, a group of students and faculty undertook an occupation of Rosenwald Hall, a classroom and administration building. That was a clear disruption of the learning of others and of the normal functioning of the University. After repeated warnings, the protesters were arrested and released. They are subject now to the University’s disciplinary process, which is still pending. In short, when expression becomes disruption, we act decisively to protect the learning environment of students and the functioning of the University against genuinely disruptive protesters.

There are almost an unlimited number of ways in which students or other members of the University community can protest that violate no policies of the University at all; the spectrum of ways to express a viewpoint and seek to persuade others is vast. But establishing an encampment clearly violates policies against building structures on campus without prior approval and against overnight sleeping on campus.

I believe the protesters should also consider that an encampment, with all the etymological connections of the word to military origins, is a way of using force of a kind rather than reason to persuade others. For a short period of time, however, the impact of a modest encampment does not differ so much from a conventional rally or march. Given the importance of the expressive rights of our students, we may allow an encampment to remain for a short time despite the obvious violations of policy—but those violating university policy should expect to face disciplinary consequences.

The impact of an encampment depends on the degree to which it disrupts study, scholarship, and free movement around campus. To be clear, we will not tolerate violence or harassment directed at individuals or groups. And, disruption becomes greater the longer the encampment persists. With a 24-hour presence, day after day, we must for example divert police resources away from public safety for our campus and our community.

If necessary, we will act to preserve the essential functioning of the campus against the accumulated effects of these disruptions. I ask the students who have established this encampment to instead embrace the multitude of other tools at their disposal. Seek to persuade others of your viewpoint with methods that do not violate policies or disrupt the functioning of the University and the safety of others.

Sincerely,

Paul

https://x.com/nachristakis/status/17852 ... q_-8Yt1KMA
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Wonder what would happen if Hamas went in to the "encampments" and raped and murdered the occupants. Just as I wonder what would happen if the IDF flew jets overhead and bombed them in to oblivion.

Point of my wondering is - It sure would be nice if people come to the realization that BOTH sides bear responsibility for the "conflict" and if you find fault and shame in one side without finding fault and shame in the other, you're basically not much more than a brainwashed asshole.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:09 am Today's edition of you can't make this shit up....

Besides the genius speaking, check out the guy in the background. I can understand him opposing Israel's response after October 7th but I can't help but wonder if he realizes it's considered a "crime" for him to kiss another man in public in Gaza and he could/would go to jail for doing it.

https://twitter.com/OliLondonTV/status/ ... 2098840017
I have to admit that the first thing that ran through my head was the Bundy bro "patriots" at Malheur asking their supporters to please "send snacks".
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

“they can blow each other up to smithereens. what do I care. I got a party.”

-98% of college kids in America-
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:54 am “they can blow each other up to smithereens. what do I care. I got a party.”

-98% of college kids in America-
And yet here you are, talking about that other 2%.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:06 pm

you should invest in a bullshit detector

do better
Just curious where do you recommend I get my bullshit free news from?
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan