Staying in Shape / Getting Our Shit Together

Coffee talk.
Wiff

Staying in Shape / Getting Our Shit Together

Post by Wiff »

I have historically been conscious of health and have always emphasized remaining active with exercise or sports to stay in shape. However, like many others (I assume), I have fallen off just a tad during the pandemic and caught myself slacking on working out and staying on top of things, to the point that I decided it was time to get my shit back together. So I have recently gotten back into the swing of it and am back into my old routine to stay in shape that has worked for me in the past.

That said, I thought it'd be cool to have a thread for any other approaches, ideologies, or insights from others on here who are into working out, dieting, or just overall health. Anybody have any exercise/dieting/motivation tips or routines that have worked for them that they want to share? Or anybody else here that also wants to get their shit together? Let's take care of our fellow Jayhawks.
Ain't no seats
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Staying in Shape / Getting Our Shit Together

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I've been back in the gym 3-5x per week since it opened back up also trying to shed some of that COVID-19#. General calorie count during the week. The weekend booze and weed are killer, though, and a snowball effect happens.

Intermittent fasting seems to be pretty popular right now, but not sure I can commit.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I’ve lost 30 pounds this year. Long walks and audio books with my dog. Usually 8 miles a day.

Malcolm Gladwell’s Talking to Strangers is the most recent. Going to start Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman tomorrow.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Good thread idea.

My initial thought was, try to establish a routine. Whether it’s exercise (I come home from work and plan to get in a ski or run/bike) or diet, (cut carbs outta dinner if you wanna loose a few pounds quick), this is important. It might be the toughest part, but once you get past the first few days of feeling weird about your routine, you’ll soon enough feel weird if you don’t get in a good run.

Goals prob help too. But my goal is little more than, just to feel healthy and get that runner’s high. Best drug around. Best mental health treatment too.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Also, Monday through Friday at 7:00 pm equals no booze and only fruits and vegetables for food. A few exceptions, obviously
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh, and re: diet:

KICK SUGAR!

It’s awful for you. And I know if you’ve got a sweet tooth habit, it’s hard to kick. But stick to it for long enough to feel weird when you do have too much sugar. You’ll feel healthier, and realize all these little quirks went away with the sugar.

You’ll be tossing and turning sleepless one night with a fluttery heart and an upset stomach thinking, man that’s the last time I have ice cream for dinner.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:51 pm I’ve lost 30 pounds this year. Long walks and audio books with my dog. Usually 8 miles a day.

Malcolm Gladwell’s Talking to Strangers is the most recent. Going to start Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman tomorrow.
I've lost about 15 pounds since the world fell apart last year, entirely diet-related. I didn't change any of my other material habits, good or bad.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I would like to strip about 15 pounds off by Christmas but I haven't convinced myself to commit to the actions I need to do to get there yet. After this weekend, I don't have any other excuses and need to get moving on it.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I have lost 30 lbs.
3 Keys:
1) Getting my baling-wire repaired hip replaced, enabling me to be much more active.
2) Replacing Tito's and Sprite with whiskey / bourbon.
3) Not eating like I have 3 buttholes. Cut down to 2 meals a day with only healthy snacks.
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:48 pm The weekend booze and weed are killer, though, and a snowball effect happens.
This is definitely a struggle. In an effort to combat this on the front end, I have started treating weekend booze as a reward and linking it to exercise. I.e., if I want to have some drinks on a specific day, I have to work out first. If I don't work out that day, I don't get booze.
Ain't no seats
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Wiff wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:54 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:48 pm The weekend booze and weed are killer, though, and a snowball effect happens.
This is definitely a struggle. In an effort to combat this on the front end, I have started treating weekend booze as a reward and linking it to exercise. I.e., if I want to have some drinks on a specific day, I have to work out first. If I don't work out that day, I don't get booze.
KC is one of those drinking towns. Most everything just tends to center around booze. At least in my circles.
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:15 pm KC is one of those drinking towns. Most everything just tends to center around booze. At least in my circles.
I have definitely had my fair share of early morning workout plans derailed as a result of the previous night's shenanigans.
Ain't no seats
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:51 pm Goals prob help too.
Yes! A couple of years ago when I was in my best shape ever, it was because I had a goal that I was going to complete a full marathon. Even though I started that journey with the goal of losing weight, it wasn't long before losing weight became an afterthought. I began focusing on beating my prior running distance or time, and losing weight just became a pleasant ancillary result of working towards that goal.
Ain't no seats
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yes!

My best shape ever was during my summer in Oregon, when I would alternate days either running (usually 3-4 miles) or x number of push-ups/sit-ups/pull-ups. I didn’t notice results til this girl noticed them for me.

One week, I decided to try for my best mile time. After a few runs, I think I got down to a 6:17, and felt pretty good about that.

Now, I still try to run, and am pleased with anything below 10 minutes a mile. But, now I live in a steep hilly neighborhood at 9000’, and usually end up having to avoid various wildlife and/or at-large pet dogs along the way. Slower times must have nothing to do with being 10 years older with a bum knee.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Cascadia wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:52 pm Also, Monday through Friday at 7:00 pm equals no booze and only fruits and vegetables for food. A few exceptions, obviously
I won’t be a pain if the meal has carbs but Monday through Thursday, I try for low/no carbs and no alcohol. Veggies, fruits, nuts, meats.

Friday through Sunday no rules.

I’m back running about 4-5 miles a week ( slow as fuuuck ) and some light lifting. Interval training if you have the gumption is the way to go. Sprint a quarter mile and then jog/walk and then do it again.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“ I began focusing on beating my prior running distance or time...”

This is the way to go if you can be dedicated.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Lift
Heavy
Weights
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Perkisizing!
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:32 pm
Cascadia wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:52 pm Also, Monday through Friday at 7:00 pm equals no booze and only fruits and vegetables for food. A few exceptions, obviously
I won’t be a pain if the meal has carbs but Monday through Thursday, I try for low/no carbs and no alcohol. Veggies, fruits, nuts, meats.

Friday through Sunday no rules.

I’m back running about 4-5 miles a week ( slow as fuuuck ) and some light lifting. Interval training if you have the gumption is the way to go. Sprint a quarter mile and then jog/walk and then do it again.
My ankle is fucked so running isn’t great for me, but you’re right that interval training is fantastic.

But with the dog, long walks with audiobooks has been great for me. Down to 185, hopefully get down to 175.

Got to get that beach bod looking good!
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Depends on what your goal is. Is it heart/lung health, or looking good?

If it's the latter, high weight, low rep (if you can do 8, the weight isn't high enough) will give you the most bang for your buck. The effect it has on you (gaining muscle vs burning fat) will be based on how you're eating.