Staying in Shape / Getting Our Shit Together

Coffee talk.
shindig

Re: Staying in Shape / Getting Our Shit Together

Post by shindig »

I just picked up jogging again (2 mornings in a row)..fvck ya. ;). It's tough to get back into the routine and I am thinking of joining a gym again. My first goal is to lose some gut weight and then once I get to a
flatter belly, start lifting again. I don't want to be ripped, just a flatter stomach, more defined biceps/triceps and chest. The problem I found when I lifted a lot in my younger days was my clothes didn't fit right (too tight in my chest or arms), so for me it's more about toning, that way I can get back into my skinny jeans...lol.

I have a weight bench in my basement, but I think hitting a gym 3-4 days a week would benefit me more, just meeting new people and such.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

shindig wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:26 am I just picked up jogging again (2 mornings in a row)..fvck ya. ;). It's tough to get back into the routine and I am thinking of joining a gym again. My first goal is to lose some gut weight and then once I get to a
flatter belly, start lifting again. I don't want to be ripped, just a flatter stomach, more defined biceps/triceps and chest. The problem I found when I lifted a lot in my younger days was my clothes didn't fit right (too tight in my chest or arms), so for me it's more about toning, that way I can get back into my skinny jeans...lol.

I have a weight bench in my basement, but I think hitting a gym 3-4 days a week would benefit me more, just meeting new people and such.
Please, promise me you will scream like a panther passing a kidney stone when you bench press!
Do it on the down stroke, to really throw the girls off your scent.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I hate running with a passion and have now aged out of the range where it is considered a good idea. Having a partially torn meniscus in one knee and barely any cartilage in either knee doesn't help, either.

I have a robust enough set of dumbbells at home that I can do whatever lifting I need. I'd like to replace my bench with something that can be adjusted to do decline lifts but it's hard to find exactly what I what at the price I want to pay for it.

Monday starts the boring journey of watching what I eat and limiting alcohol consumption in an effort to start stripping off some of this covid weight. I just have to convince myself that this is something a really want to do. Maybe I need to think up some sort of reward to buy myself if I actually meet my goal. I tend to flake out on workouts if I don't have an incentive.
Last edited by twocoach on Wed May 26, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Overlander wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:12 am
shindig wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:26 am I just picked up jogging again (2 mornings in a row)..fvck ya. ;). It's tough to get back into the routine and I am thinking of joining a gym again. My first goal is to lose some gut weight and then once I get to a

Please, promise me you will scream like a panther passing a kidney stone when you bench press!
Do it on the down stroke, to really throw the girls off your scent.
LOL...I don't bench heavy anymore. I remember maxing out to see how much I could do on one rep (always with a spotter). Not anymore. I bench anywhere from 150-175 lbs, with 8-10 reps. That's enough for me. I don't care what my max is anymore. I'd just hurt myself now...lol.

But I remember going to the gym and these guys would just grunt and scream so freaking loud it made you laugh, especially during squat or leg presses. That shit can't be good for your joints (Ousy and CnB), your joints will be fine :)
Last edited by shindig on Wed May 26, 2021 9:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
shindig

Post by shindig »

twocoach wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:30 am I hate running with a passion and have now aged out of the range where it is considered a good idea. Having a partially torn meniscus in one knee and barely any cartilage in either knee doesn't help, either.

I have a robust enough set of dumbbells at home that I can do whatever lifting I need. I'd like to replace my bench with something that can be adjusted to do decline lifts but it's hard to find exactly what I what at the price I want to pay for it.

Monday starts the boring journey of watching what I eat and limiting alcohol consumption in an effort to start stripping off some of this covid weight. I just have to convince myself that this is something a really want to do. Maybe I need to think up some sort of reward to buy myself if I actually meet my goal. I tend to flake out on workouts if I don't have an incentive.
Running isn't a passion of mine either. I know I just need to do it to lose some gut weight and get my heart rate up and it usually only takes 30 minutes. Music helps me, but with all the hills in KC, it can be a burner going up a long hill.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

shindig wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:34 am
twocoach wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:30 am I hate running with a passion and have now aged out of the range where it is considered a good idea. Having a partially torn meniscus in one knee and barely any cartilage in either knee doesn't help, either.

Running isn't a passion of mine either. I know I just need to do it to lose some gut weight and get my heart rate up and it usually only takes 30 minutes. Music helps me, but with all the hills in KC, it can be a burner going up a long hill.
My cardio is mountain biking. We have some great local trails that are well maintained and that I can get to easily. With jogging, I found it so boring that my mind would wander and it was not relaxing at all. The gearing, steering and braking of mountain biking requires enough of my focus that I don't think about all the other stresses in life and find it to be very relaxing. I just wish it didn't rain so damn much here in the spring. Haven't been able to get on the trails at all the last several weeks due to near daily rain of some amount.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Biking is fun.

To me though, there’s something visceral or primordial or something about running. What’s the word I want? But I guess it’s not for everyone.

I find it funny though when some folks say they hate running.

One friend will be like, I fuckin HATE it, it’s stoopid! If I’m gonna work out, I’d rather just like go play basketball or something.

Oook...how do you expect to play basketball without running?

“Well like, at least with basketball, you’re like doing other stuff while you play too...”

Yeah, mostly running.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:48 am Biking is fun.

To me though, there’s something visceral or primordial or something about running. What’s the word I want? But I guess it’s not for everyone.

I find it funny though when some folks say they hate running.

One friend will be like, I fuckin HATE it, it’s stoopid! If I’m gonna work out, I’d rather just like go play basketball or something.

Oook...how do you expect to play basketball without running?

“Well like, at least with basketball, you’re like doing other stuff while you play too...”

Yeah, mostly running.
I'd be playing pickup with your friend. I absolutely can't stand running for the sake of running.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wrong bored

(Too hoops talky)
Last edited by ousdahl on Wed May 26, 2021 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But go figure, fish and beav would both prefer to swim.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I recently bought some resistance bands. Can stack to make some good weight if I need to. Haven't done anything with those yet, but plan to.

Wife and I go for a nice 2-3 mile walk about 3 days a week. That has felt nice. But I'm to the point with age/sports wear and tear that running on concrete kills my feet/shins/knees.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I typically lose 5-10 pounds over the course of golf season, despite the cart riding and other bad habits that go with golf. It's just so damned hot.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:56 am I typically lose 5-10 pounds over the course of golf season, despite the cart riding and other bad habits that go with golf. It's just so damned hot.
I purposefully walk about 3-4 holes when I golf to help out with that. I sit most of my day at work, I need some movement, even though those carts are nice.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

I bought a Peloton early on in the pandemic and have worked out more in the last year than I have since I was a teenager but lost 0 weight. You cannot exercise away a bad diet and Jameson.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:00 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:56 am I typically lose 5-10 pounds over the course of golf season, despite the cart riding and other bad habits that go with golf. It's just so damned hot.
I purposefully walk about 3-4 holes when I golf to help out with that. I sit most of my day at work, I need some movement, even though those carts are nice.
I recently switched to walking only. Have a Sun Mountain Pathfinder 4.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hasbeen wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:31 am I bought a Peloton early on in the pandemic and have worked out more in the last year than I have since I was a teenager but lost 0 weight. You cannot exercise away a bad diet and Jameson.
But you can mitigate the effects of same. That's all I'm going for, anyway.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:32 am
hasbeen wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:31 am I bought a Peloton early on in the pandemic and have worked out more in the last year than I have since I was a teenager but lost 0 weight. You cannot exercise away a bad diet and Jameson.
Yep, I cringe at the thought of what I'd look like today without the cardio. I'm already ugly as fuck so holy shit.

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
shindig

Post by shindig »

hasbeen wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:33 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:32 am
Yep, I cringe at the thought of what I'd look like today without the cardio. I'm already ugly as fuck so holy shit.
Do you just eat out a lot, like fast food? I did cut all fast food out of my diet during COVID, but I still like my beer, although I have switched more to the Light beers and only occasionally have a craft beer.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Yes, lots of eating out and a lot of eating generally. I have a 2.5 year old and often just lose the will to do anything but eat pizza.

- lobser
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Too bad your chin apparatus doesn't fight off pizza.