Staying in Shape / Getting Our Shit Together

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Staying in Shape / Getting Our Shit Together

Post by pdub »

If I know its gonna be a gorge night ( like a Friday five-six slice pizza night with 3 Jack and cokes ) I'll try and do another mile and lift for ten more minutes.

I know it doesn't fully cancel the damage but as said before, mitigation at this point.
shindig

Post by shindig »

pdub wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:47 pm If I know its gonna be a gorge night ( like a Friday five-six slice pizza night with 3 Jack and cokes ) I'll try and do another mile and lift for ten more minutes.

I know it doesn't fully cancel the damage but as said before, mitigation at this point.
Of course, c'm, you still gotta live a good life.
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

shindig wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:31 am
But I remember going to the gym and these guys would just grunt and scream so freaking loud it made you laugh, especially during squat or leg presses.
Rule of thumb: it's not a real deadlift unless you drop the weight from its apex violently on the floor.
Last edited by Wiff on Thu May 27, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ain't no seats
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

The guy who lives across the street does this in his garage. The 1st time I heard it, I had no idea what it was. He hasn't done it for a while, prolly started busting up the concrete.
Defense. Rebounds.
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:50 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:48 am Biking is fun.

To me though, there’s something visceral or primordial or something about running. What’s the word I want? But I guess it’s not for everyone.

I find it funny though when some folks say they hate running.

One friend will be like, I fuckin HATE it, it’s stoopid! If I’m gonna work out, I’d rather just like go play basketball or something.

Oook...how do you expect to play basketball without running?

“Well like, at least with basketball, you’re like doing other stuff while you play too...”

Yeah, mostly running.
I'd be playing pickup with your friend. I absolutely can't stand running for the sake of running.
I HATED running at first, but there's not a lot that beats getting that runner's high. I try to mix it up between running and biking for cardio so that I don't get bored with either. I live in Crossroads, so riding the bike isn't always the most conducive option, given many driver's general lack of awareness / having no clue where they are going when they are downtown (it's amazing how many people suddenly think the rules of the road are different simply because there are buildings around).

I recently bought an SUV - with a major motivating reason being so that I could transport my bike to better places to ride -- so I plan to incorporate that activity much more. But I have absolutely no plans to squeeze into that Lance Armstrong costume that I see a lot of bikers wearing.
Ain't no seats
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:26 pm The guy who lives across the street does this in his garage. The 1st time I heard it, I had no idea what it was. He hasn't done it for a while, prolly started busting up the concrete.
Wife and I built a platform and painted a jayhawk on it to protect our concrete and I use bumper plates to not make as much noise.

I'd post a photo, but pdub makes that hard on this website.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Wiff wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:32 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:48 am Biking is fun.

To me though, there’s something visceral or primordial or something about running. What’s the word I want? But I guess it’s not for everyone.

I find it funny though when some folks say they hate running.

One friend will be like, I fuckin HATE it, it’s stoopid! If I’m gonna work out, I’d rather just like go play basketball or something.

Oook...how do you expect to play basketball without running?

“Well like, at least with basketball, you’re like doing other stuff while you play too...”

Yeah, mostly running.
I'd be playing pickup with your friend. I absolutely can't stand running for the sake of running.
I HATED running at first, but there's not a lot that beats getting that runner's high. I try to mix it up between running and biking for cardio so that I don't get bored with either. I live in Crossroads, so riding the bike isn't always the most conducive option, given many driver's general lack of awareness / having no clue where they are going when they are downtown (it's amazing how many people suddenly think the rules of the road are different simply because there are buildings around).

I recently bought an SUV - with a major motivating reason being so that I could transport my bike to better places to ride -- so I plan to incorporate that activity much more. But I have absolutely no plans to squeeze into that Lance Armstrong costume that I see a lot of bikers wearing.
I've got a wonky knee and, absent a surgery I'll have to have some day that will immobilize me for a couple months, I will never be able to run long enough to get there.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:57 pm

I've got a wonky knee and, absent a surgery I'll have to have some day that will immobilize me for a couple months
Amputation?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:52 pm

I've got a wonky knee and, absent a surgery I'll have to have some day that will immobilize me for a couple months
Amputation?
So, your patella sits in (and sort of slides up and down in) a groove in your femur. That groove is, in addition to a whole lot of soft tissue, what keeps your patella in place.

That’s if you have a sufficiently deep groove, which I do not. There is a procedure to fix that (think of a dremel), which would render my patella less capable of escape, but it keeps you off the leg for a while.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

My knee is all kinds of jacked up today. Too many squats at the gym last night, which normally doesn't bother me. Holy smokes is it sore.
Defense. Rebounds.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:29 pm
Overlander wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:52 pm

Amputation?
So, your patella sits in (and sort of slides up and down in) a groove in your femur. That groove is, in addition to a whole lot of soft tissue, what keeps your patella in place.

That’s if you have a sufficiently deep groove, which I do not. There is a procedure to fix that (think of a dremel), which would render my patella less capable of escape, but it keeps you off the leg for a while.
Thats crazy. I thought damn near any surgery today had you up and mobile right away.

Come to think of it, my wife had knee surgery last year, and she was immobile for about 6 weeks.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mrs 99 had knee replacement surgery about 10 weeks ago. Seems to be doing fine now. She had some rough days.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Well, some very bad news for my waistline. Just heard it's BOGO burgers (with vax card) at Westport Flea Market for the remainder of 2021.
ephemeral

Post by ephemeral »

I work industrial maintenance, so I walk miles each day OTJ. During each shift there’s usually some heavy lifting as well. I’m usually too tired after that to do anything else.

For fun, I play disc golf and drink while walking between throws. My weight’s been fairly consistent for the last 35 years or so.

There’s no way I could run. I used to work with a Vietnam vet who told me he once spent about 36 hours or so running off and on from the VC/NVA. Someone/something trying to kill me would probably be the only thing to get me to run now.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i’ve gotten lazy in the past couple years, but previously found a lot of success with walking >4 miles/day, coupled with basic sit-ups and push-ups...100 of each daily
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Welcome, ephemeral, but something about your username makes me think you might not be here for long.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

When i sat at a desk i worked out and hooped. Now I just go to work. Its pretty much an 8-12 hr workout daily. Plus my knees and elbows and shoulders hurt all the time anyway between work at work and work at home.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Desk job. Always been curious about those under-desk ellipticals, just to keep moving.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Bought a Peloton. Bike three days a week, lift heavy two. I mix in a stretching session or two throughout the week as well.
As I have gotten older I have tried to stay away from the sweets aka sugar.

Remember to drink plenty of fluids.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:32 pm Desk job. Always been curious about those under-desk ellipticals, just to keep moving.
We have a treadmill workstation at my office. That's kinda nice. Only goes up to 2 mph though. I suppose that's because it would be really hard to type going faster than that. It'd be nice to go faster during meetings though.