Staying in Shape / Getting Our Shit Together

Coffee talk.
shindig

Re: Staying in Shape / Getting Our Shit Together

Post by shindig »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:16 pm Going to start riding the Peloton. I know some on here are experienced--any weekly workout structure/schedule advice?
No advice, but good for you. I bought a treadmill 3 months ago and have lost ~12 lbs, went from 196 to 184. Plan to get to 180 and maintain from there. I hate running, but force myself to get up earlier and run for 30 minutes 3-4 days a week. 80's rock helps me push through it...lol.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I also don't enjoy working out, but it feels good to be in better shape.

We've had the Peloton here for awhile, but I haven't been interested in touching it. But, the outrageous gym fees are just starting not to be worth it with all the covid protocols--it's just no fun doing HIIT in a mask.

Peloton, though--there's just so much content. Have no idea where to start, but I'm the type that needs the structured workouts/plan.
shindig

Post by shindig »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:51 am I also don't enjoy working out, but it feels good to be in better shape.

We've had the Peloton here for awhile, but I haven't been interested in touching it. But, the outrageous gym fees are just starting not to be worth it with all the covid protocols--it's just no fun doing HIIT in a mask.

Peloton, though--there's just so much content. Have no idea where to start, but I'm the type that needs the structured workouts/plan.
I've heard good things about the Peloton, I just didn't want to spend that much. I have a nice Giant rode bike and bought a trainer for it, it works fine for my purposes. Also have an older bowflex that I use occasionally, but usually just use dumbbells for some muscle toning (curls, bench flys, etc.). I don't want to get "big", just more tone. And yes, just losing 12lbs has helped me. I can wear 32" jeans and shorts that I couldn't 3-4 months ago. Of course a lot of my jeans and shorts are 33", so now they are all loose, but oh well.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Trying to motivate myself to get back into working out again. I hate cardio with a passion and at my age it's really not that great for me anyways so I will just go back to my old Body Beast workout program with my good old fashioned already-paid-for dumbbell sets and weight bench. Nice to have the Excel spreadsheets to track it all on.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

cardio is one of the best things to do, particularly as you age.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

shindig wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:16 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:51 am I also don't enjoy working out, but it feels good to be in better shape.

I've heard good things about the Peloton, I just didn't want to spend that much. I have a nice Giant rode bike and bought a trainer for it, it works fine for my purposes. Also have an older bowflex that I use occasionally, but usually just use dumbbells for some muscle toning (curls, bench flys, etc.). I don't want to get "big", just more tone. And yes, just losing 12lbs has helped me. I can wear 32" jeans and shorts that I couldn't 3-4 months ago. Of course a lot of my jeans and shorts are 33", so now they are all loose, but oh well.
Good for you and you have to go with whatever works, equipment, routine or otherwise.

I would never independently be into something like the Peloton movement, but she was adamant about getting one, and it was clearly one of those times to not put even a pinky toe in her way.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

I’m thinking of buying a new bike soon. I have a 2010 Trek FX1 and might upgrade to a new one.

My 5yo has a little Trek Precaliber 16 he got from Santa last year so he can ride pretty good.

Once the weather cools down a bit more down here I plan to ride more with my son…
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

a new bike was gonna by my MO too

gotta bite the bullet and just do it
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

Back on this kick for a while. Who knew cutting out booze would be so good for you.

I stopped drinking any kind of alcohol for 90 days - and as much as I LOVE a good beer - I don't think I'm ever gonna go back. I lost about 15 pounds solely from cutting out the booze, but that only scratches the surface as far as benefits I've seen.

I never considered alcohol to be a problem, as I only drank occasionally, but my god everything seems to be so much better after a couple weeks off the sauce. I never realized how good I could actually feel: I think so much more clearly now, have much more energy, very productive at work, workouts are better, just feel better in general. All aspects of life seem to improve significantly. Turns out that I've been missing out on this for quite some time.

I wholeheartedly encourage anyone on here who questions their relationship with alcohol to give it a good go at stopping for at least a few weeks. I promise you won't regret it.
Ain't no seats
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sounds like the worst advice I’ve ever heard.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Wiff wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:06 am Back on this kick for a while. Who knew cutting out booze would be so good for you.

I stopped drinking any kind of alcohol for 90 days - and as much as I LOVE a good beer - I don't think I'm ever gonna go back. I lost about 15 pounds solely from cutting out the booze, but that only scratches the surface as far as benefits I've seen.

I never considered alcohol to be a problem, as I only drank occasionally, but my god everything seems to be so much better after a couple weeks off the sauce. I never realized how good I could actually feel: I think so much more clearly now, have much more energy, very productive at work, workouts are better, just feel better in general. All aspects of life seem to improve significantly. Turns out that I've been missing out on this for quite some time.

I wholeheartedly encourage anyone on here who questions their relationship with alcohol to give it a good go at stopping for at least a few weeks. I promise you won't regret it.
congrats, and keep up the good work

the mrs and i are creeping up on a year of sobriety ourselves
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I cut my alcohol use by easily 75%.

you are right, huge difference