Picky eaters

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Picky eaters

Post by Shirley »

Thank Gawd it's 12pm because,

I do intermittent fasting and try to never eat before noon, but some days are much harder than others.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

And here I am eating fast
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:32 pm And here I am eating fast
Getting a head start on tomorrow?
Anand Giridharadas
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

What are your ‘on’ times Shirley?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:45 am What are your ‘on’ times Shirley?
I start every morning with the aim to go as long as I can before eating. Many people designate a particular day to do a 24 hour fast, "every Monday" like my son-in-law, but after having to behave myself professionally and out of respect for my wife for so many years, I'm resolved to doing things because I want to not so much because I know I "should". And, having formal "rules" gives me the feeling that I can't control myself and do the right thing just because it is the right thing, unless I impose boundaries on myself. I'm not sure but I think that's a result of existentialism getting all 'round my brain in high school, but I'm not sure. Being retired, I like to give myself the gift of doing what I want because I want to, and I trust myself to not go too far off the rails. Or, something...

I almost always make it until noon, which would be at least 14 hours since I last ate. Some days I feel like I'm starving when I get up ~ 5 am and feel as tho there's no way I'll ever make it until noon, but I nearly always I do, and often I make it until 2, or 4 pm, even on those days. So, my "on" time for eating is usually no longer than 10 hours, and often only 6-8 hours. In those hours I limit myself to only one or two meals, and very little snacking, and when I do eat between those two meals, it's usually something like broccoli*, or almonds, etc. And, I tend to measure or limit the amount of the snack, (to ¼ cup when it comes to almonds, etc. so I'll have an idea how many calories I'm consuming), and don't just sit down with the package and eat an unknown amount. That being said, although I have a pretty good idea of how many calories I'm consuming, I don't count calories, or weigh my foods like some people do.

The thing I discovered that people who practice intermittent fasting know, is that just because you're hungry now, it doesn't mean you'll necessarily be more, and more, and more hungry the longer you fast. It was a total revelation to learn that hunger comes in waves, and if you wait and distract yourself, the next thing you know the feeling has gone away and you've gone another hour or more before the hunger pangs come again. And for me, I don't feel "hungry" as much as I feel waves of nausea, which I always used to assume was due to low blood sugar, but almost certainly aren't.

I occasionally go 24 hours between eating, but not as often as I did when I first started.

I had tried limiting my calories and increasing my activity many times in the past with only moderate success, but once I began intermittent fasting I was able to lose 25# in less than 6 months.

*I put a little bit of blue cheese salad dressing and occasionally lemon pepper on the broccoli, because I ____ing love blue cheese!
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I’m just not a big eater. I could easily go 24 hours without thinking much about eating. I’m naturally pretty slim, which probably comes from intermittent fasting by accident (it is common for me to really only eat one meal a day).
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:48 am I’m just not a big eater. I could easily go 24 hours without thinking much about eating. I’m naturally pretty slim, which probably comes from intermittent fasting by accident (it is common for me to really only eat one meal a day).
You're lucky. Unfortunately, I'm the most food-centric person I've ever known. I don't believe in reincarnation, but if I did, I'd take for granted that I must have starved to death in a prior life.

When I get a call from my daughter to watch my granddaughters, I reflexively default to thinking about which restaurant on that side of town I can take advantage of while I'm in the area.

"I can't believe you, you're already thinking about the next meal before you've had this one. I've never met anyone as obsessed with food as you. Before I met you, I didn't even think about what I might have for dinner, I'd just come home from work and eat some crackers or pop corn, but now that I married you, I eat, and it shows."

Yours truly,

a lawyer I once slept with...
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:47 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:48 am I’m just not a big eater. I could easily go 24 hours without thinking much about eating. I’m naturally pretty slim, which probably comes from intermittent fasting by accident (it is common for me to really only eat one meal a day).
You're lucky. Unfortunately, I'm the most food-centric person I've ever known. I don't believe in reincarnation, but if I did, I'd take for granted that I must have starved to death in a prior life.

When I get a call from my daughter to watch my granddaughters, I reflexively default to thinking about which restaurant on that side of town I can take advantage of while I'm in the area.

"I can't believe you, you're already thinking about the next meal before you've had this one. I've never met anyone as obsessed with food as you. Before I met you, I didn't even think about what I might have for dinner, I'd just come home from work and eat some crackers or pop corn, but now that I married you, I eat, and it shows."

Yours truly,

You are describing Mrs. Fish, who is wired to orient her days around the next meal. Even if she's not hungry.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:53 am
Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:47 am

Yours truly,

You are describing Mrs. Fish, who is wired to orient her days around the next meal. Even if she's not hungry.
She sounds like my soul mate.

Proof that all the good ones are already taken.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

this is me. I accidentally fast often.

1 meal a day is a common occurrence. Usually its lunch. maybe crackers or popcorn for dinner sometimes within st all and almost never anything but coffee for breakfast. Granola occasionally.

I think its just the way I am, but also has been influenced by my career and hobbies. Lots of times I'd be up at 4, pack a lunch, get hungry and eat at 9, maybe leave a snack for noon. Home and chores and bed early.

Then, when you're hiking or hunting or whatever a lot of times its bites of jerky and almonds a few times during the day and not much else. Just get used to it.

i do think it's more just the way I am though, I've never been a big eater.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I used to fast thru the day when I was younger. I try to eat small meals throughthe day. But going home for lunch was a mistake in the last few years. My wife is a tremendous cook. That will be on my tombstone.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

None of you is EVER gonna be 70's Big.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:15 pm None of you is EVER gonna be 70's Big.
I just want to be myself in my 70s. And beyond hopefully.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I disagree.
Theres a ton of good Mexican food in NYC.

There was this banging Taqueria in the lower 50s on 10th I used to go to. Hole in the wall. Holy shit the tacos.

Mesa Cocoyan in Brooklyn “slaps”.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Of course there's great Mexican in NYC. There's great everything in NYC.

But - and of course I'll admit my bias - it's not only about the food, it's about the culture and the aesthetics. And that's why NYC Mexican can never punch pound-for-pound with LA Mexican.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Meh.
There are plenty of Mexicans living in NYC who make “west coast” street tacos.
There are large Mexican populations in areas in Queens and Brooklyn—huge neighborhoods.

I get what you’re saying but I’ve had great tacos in little stores painted bright orange with shelves full of Mexican products and the owners dont speak English. There aren’t palm trees outside but there’s Mexican tunes on the radio.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Mexican tunes/Mariachi music is but one indication. The clincher is what is playing on TV - it’s got to be either La Liga or Liga MX Futbol games!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I really like corn but rarely fix it because nutritionally speaking, it's vacuous.

However, I love avocado, and they're full of good things! As luck would have it, I stumbled upon this recipe yesterday and in honor of the Super Bowl, I'm making this:

(Full disclosure: I really like mayo, so substituting for it to decrease the fat while wise, isn't easy.)
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?