Picky eaters

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Picky eaters

Post by Shirley »

JKLivin wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:32 am
Shirley wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:04 am Anyone know what our resident receptor aficionado zsn looks like?

https://youtu.be/gSGd9rOeqD8?si=6vcHskbjTWErlKDs
Hopefully, he knows how to spell "chilis" correctly.
Yet another example of Psych's talent for never allowing reality to penetrate the miasma of nativism within which he marinates:

From the Oxford dictionary: chilli noun the small green or red fruit of a type of pepper plant that is used in cooking to give a hot taste to food, often dried or made into powder, also called chilli or chilli powder

(British English)
(North American English chili)
(plural chillies, North American English chilies)

Is it chilis or chilies?
Chili (plural chilies or chilis) is the standard American English name for the hot pepper as well as the spicy stew, condiment, and spice in which it is a prominent ingredient. On the other hand, in British English, chilli (plural chillies or chillis) is typically used.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Shirley wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:50 am
Shirley wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:04 am Anyone know what our resident receptor aficionado zsn looks like?

Yet another example of Psych's talent for never allowing reality to penetrate the miasma of nativism within which he marinates:

From the Oxford dictionary: chilli noun the small green or red fruit of a type of pepper plant that is used in cooking to give a hot taste to food, often dried or made into powder, also called chilli or chilli powder

(British English)

Is it chilis or chilies?
Chili (plural chilies or chilis) is the standard American English name for the hot pepper as well as the spicy stew, condiment, and spice in which it is a prominent ingredient. On the other hand, in British English, chilli (plural chillies or chillis) is typically used.
Yet another reason why I'm glad to be an American.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

(British English)

Is it chilis or chilies?
pshhtt...dictionary? JK dont believe in no dictionary to tell him what's right!

JKLivin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:44 am
JKLivin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:57 pm

I believe the Google Dictionary was developed specifically to accommodate dipshits who think dressing up like a cowboy is cool. I wouldn’t give it much credence.
It’s fine. As my wife (Ph.D. in English) is quick to point out, dictionaries update to accommodate colloquial usages. In my mind, that’s not the same as being correct, but whatever.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Chile.

You're welcome.
Defense. Rebounds.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

TDub wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:58 pm

(British English)

Is it chilis or chilies?

I believe the Google Dictionary was developed specifically to accommodate dipshits who think dressing up like a cowboy is cool. I wouldn’t give it much credence.
It’s fine. As my wife (Ph.D. in English) is quick to point out, dictionaries update to accommodate colloquial usages. In my mind, that’s not the same as being correct, but whatever.
‘Murican dictionaries only.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

JKLivin wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:15 pm
TDub wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:58 pm

(British English)

Is it chilis or chilies?

‘Murican dictionaries only.
funny you should say that....because the quote between your quotes actually referenced an American Dictionary. That wasn't good enough for you.

Mjl wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:57 pm

Miriam Webster has the same thing: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/caramel
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Silly me, I found the video interesting.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:16 pm Silly me, I found the video interesting.
sorry shirley...I was grumpy and picking a fight. ill crawl back to my corner now and go mow the lawn while its only 94.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:18 pm
Shirley wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:16 pm Silly me, I found the video interesting.
sorry shirley...I was grumpy and picking a fight. ill crawl back to my corner now and go mow the lawn while its only 94.
No problem, sorry it's so hot there. I used to think about moving to the NW to (partially) escape the heat.
Anand Giridharadas
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Playing (Almost) Gotcha, Psych appears to be more interesting.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

JKLivin wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:38 pm
Exactly what I was thinking!
Anand Giridharadas
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Shirley wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:42 pm
JKLivin wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:38 pm
Exactly what I was thinking!
My bad. Not my intention.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I grew up spelling the plural with two l’s. Also grew up having an apparently unnecessary u in between the o and r at the end of words.

But to psych’s point, as they stated in the song “Why can’t the English” from My Fair Lady (ca. 1964) - “In America…they haven’t used it [English] for years”. True nearly 60 years later. As evidence, I present mich.

I’ll watch and report back shortly 😄
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

An explanation for the unbridled gullibility of the rubes?

Live worm plucked from woman’s brain in Australia, a world first

A woman who was admitted to hospital with mystery symptoms including forgetfulness had a live, wriggling worm plucked from her brain — a world first.

The 64-year-old woman from New South Wales, Australia, had been admitted to the local hospital in late January 2021, after a few weeks of abdominal pain and diarrhea.

The woman faced respiratory symptoms and medical scans revealed abnormalities within her lungs and liver. But her condition only worsened, including forgetfulness and depression.

An MRI scan revealed what doctors initially thought was a tumor, but when the woman underwent a biopsy in June 2022, the doctors were stunned.

“We don’t find things that are surprising and when we do, that’s just unheard of,” said Surgeon Hari Priya Bandi, who was conducting the biopsy.

Yet there it was on the right frontal lobe of the patient's brain: Not cancer but a live parasitic worm, about 80 millimeters (3 inches) long and 1 millimeter in diameter.

“I then picked it up and just went ‘look at it, what is that… It’s moving. Let’s take it out,” Bandi said, according to Australia's Channel 7 News. “There was a moment for me for just feeling a bit nauseated,” she added.

...The 3-inches long, “Ophidascaris robertsi,” is a roundworm that is usually found in pythons, making this the first time this parasite had been identified in a human being.

“It’s not meant to develop in her. It’s meant to develop in small mammals and marsupials. So she was an accidental host,” said Senanayake. The parasite had made its way through the woman’s lungs, liver and finally arrived in her brain, he said.

...Senanayake said the patient resided near a lake that was also home to carpet pythons. And while she had come in no direct snake contact, the woman often collected native vegetation from around the lake where she lived to use in cooking.

This led doctors to believe she may have unknowingly consumed the pythons’ eggs due to contamination.

These larvaes are known to survive for a long time in animal hosts, researchers said, warning of more cases popping up among humans.

“We’ve had 30 new infections in the last 30 years appear in the world,” Senanayake said, adding that almost three quarters of them jump from the animal population.

It is a result of what he described as human encroachment on natural animal habitat.

“We will see more of these types of infections,” he added.
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i have it on good authority that it was a chimeric worm, genetically engineered by the aboriginals to infect the waitbala
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

It's hard to tell from the article. Did she get infected by eating python eggs or vegetation with parasite egg infested python poop on it? If the later, no more raw veggies for 99.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you wouldn’t eat carpet python eggs without knowing…they’re a group of species that get quite large
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Did the victim or the surgeon sing this after the surgery?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RijB8wnJCN0
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:43 am you wouldn’t eat carpet python eggs without knowing…they’re a group of species that get quite large
Yeah, but this...
This led doctors to believe she may have unknowingly consumed the pythons’ eggs due to contamination.
The article meant parasite eggs on the vegetation, right? So, python poop.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:20 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:43 am you wouldn’t eat carpet python eggs without knowing…they’re a group of species that get quite large
Yeah, but this...
The article meant parasite eggs on the vegetation, right? So, python poop.
that was my take on it

but, who knows if there are other hosts as well?

also, there was passing mention of her getting it initially in the lungs, so who knows. she coulda “inhaled” some contaminated water while swimming the lake…

not a very well-written article, obviously. seems like it was written by someone without any relevant and appropriate background on the subject matter