Picky eaters

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: Picky eaters

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:56 pm I think if someone asked you, 'don't like tomatoes,', if you took off a tomato, you should be OK with it, ( unless they said it with one of those sappy smile bullshit sarcasm grin deals ) but I can't tell you how to live.
And if I say, "I like tomatoes just fine, but I prefer a burger without it." That should be the end of it. And if it is, we're ok.

But, the sappy smile bullshit sarcasm grin lets you know that what they meant was, I saw you not eat your tomato and now I'm gonna try to call you a sissy without calling you a sissy.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

MJ23 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:07 pm I may be the fattest pickiest eater on the planet.

Foods I don't eat off the top of my head...
Pasta/noodles
Fish/Seafood/sushi
Vegetables
Asian food
Nuts
Eggs (unless they are in a food such as waffles, pancakes, cakes, breads, etc.)
Grains (unless they are in bread)
Mexican Food (unless it is very basic - such as a taco)
Cheese (unless it's in pizza or on a meatball)
Soup (unless it's a simple broth)
I don't eat any foods off the top of my head.

And...

If you're willing to eliminate entire cuisines, then I get why someone has a problem with that level of being picky.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

MJ23 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:07 pm I may be the fattest pickiest eater on the planet.

Pasta/noodles
Fish/Seafood/sushi
Vegetables
Asian food
Nuts
Woof.
Well, guess we're never going out to dinner gutman.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:08 pm If you're willing to eliminate entire cuisines, then I get why someone has a problem with that level of being picky.
Asian food.
Sorry, you're off the table.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I have a certain, uh, amphibious roommate who might be the pickiest eater ever.

For instance, won’t eat Chinese or any Asian dish. Never had it, refuses to try it, just won’t even give it a chance.

He loves tacos, but refuses to eat enchiladas. Bro it’s just seasoned meat and cheese in a tortilla either way.

Dude’s pretty laid back as a whole, but pretty wild how stubborn he’ll be about food.

Whatever bro, more enchiladas for me!

(And, apparently my roomie all along was gutter)
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:08 pm

Pasta/noodles
Fish/Seafood/sushi
Vegetables
Asian food
Nuts
I don't eat any foods off the top of my head.

And...

If you're willing to eliminate entire cuisines, then I get why someone has a problem with that level of being picky.
If I eat fortune cookies I can say I eat an Asian food? Probably not because I believe fortune cookies were "invented" in the USA.
I mean, I will eat waygu beef and other things from Asia but I can't think of any Asian dishes I like - nor will even eat. I know, my loss.
Deleted User 880

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:10 pm

Pasta/noodles
Fish/Seafood/sushi
Vegetables
Asian food
Nuts
Woof.
Well, guess we're never going out to dinner gutman.
I would never want anyone to not eat what they really wanted to eat to accommodate me and my pickiness. Someone wants to go to an Asian restaurant - fantastic. I'll sit and have a drink and keep you company. I can survive without eating a meal.
That being said, I am sure you and I could/would be able to find a restaurant that could/would accommodate the both of our needs/desires.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I think vegetables like peas and lima beans get a bad rap because generally they are prepared in a bad way (boiled!?!). Same goes for spinach and the like. I think if as kids we’re introduced to well-prepared food we would eat anything.

I’ll eat anything as long as it didn’t literally have an a$$hole (includes shellfish). Spicy is great! Although at some point it stops being about the flavor and taste.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I remember a phase when I was like prob 10 years old when I told my fam I was a picky eater, and just wanted to eat peanut butter sammiches from now on.

My mom said, if you wanna eat then you’ll eat what we give you.

So much for that phase.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Pasta/noodles
Fish/Seafood/sushi
Vegetables
Asian food
Nuts
What the fuck is left?
Last edited by Overlander on Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 880

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:35 pm I remember a phase when I was like prob 10 years old when I told my fam I was a picky eater, and just wanted to eat peanut butter sammiches from now on.

So much for that phase.
That was exactly what fucked me up. The OPPOSITE.
My mother made me what she knew I liked. Then we went through a brief phase where my father FORCED me to eat (or at least try) a new food a couple of dinners a week. It was literally a traumatic experience for me (and my sister to watch) at times. Then it went back to my mother making me what she knew I liked. They should have probably been - too bad, you eat what we give you or you don't eat at all.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MJ23 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:39 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:35 pm I remember a phase when I was like prob 10 years old when I told my fam I was a picky eater, and just wanted to eat peanut butter sammiches from now on.

So much for that phase.
My mother made me what she knew I liked. Then we went through a brief phase where my father FORCED me to eat (or at least try) a new food a couple of dinners a week. It was literally a traumatic experience for me (and my sister to watch) at times. Then it went back to my mother making me what she knew I liked. They should have probably been - too bad, you eat what we give you or you don't eat at all.
Hey, your dad tried.
Mommas boy......
Deleted User 880

Overlander wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:39 pm

Pasta/noodles
Fish/Seafood/sushi
Vegetables
Asian food
Nuts
What the fuck is left?
I won't bore you listing the foods I do eat but.....
There were long periods of my life where I would eat meat practically every day for years.
As I tell people (and those who know me well will tell you) there is zero doubt that I have averaged a hamburger a day for my entire life - being that there were many days I would eat multiple burgers.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MJ23 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:45 pm
Overlander wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:39 pm

Pasta/noodles
Fish/Seafood/sushi
Vegetables
Asian food
Nuts
What the fuck is left?
I won't bore you listing the foods I do eat but.....
There were long periods of my life where I would eat meat practically every day for years.
As I tell people (and those who know me well will tell you) there is zero doubt that I have averaged a hamburger a day for my entire life - being that there were many days I would eat multiple burgers.
But, PASTA?
Blackened Chicken Alfredo with mushrooms?
Deleted User 880

Overlander wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:40 pm

So much for that phase.
Hey, your dad tried.
Mommas boy......
100%!
She still feels guilty about the food situation.
It's not like she only fed me bad foods. Plenty of fruit and other things that were good for me.
Pediatrician would tell her it's probably a good thing I'm picky - to a degree.

Enough about me! Sorry for the interruptions! Carry on kids.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MJ23 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:49 pm

Hey, your dad tried.
Mommas boy......
100%!
It's not like she only fed me bad foods. Plenty of fruit and other things that were good for me.

No, please, tell us more.

Really stoked about the 1,000 hamburgers a year.

When you travel, do you have to take a couple of those seat belt extenders?
Deleted User 880

Overlander wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:51 pm
MJ23 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:49 pm

Hey, your dad tried.
Mommas boy......
100%!

No, please, tell us more.

Really stoked about the 1,000 hamburgers a year.

When you travel, do you have to take a couple of those seat belt extenders?
Well, I don't know if I ever hit 1000 burgers in a year but I very well may have. Especially if we count that there were times when I would eat 3, 4, 5, McDonalds double burgers in a sitting. Always grilled and ate at least 2 burgers several times a week. Days I would have burgers for both lunch and dinner.

My Father had first heart attack and bypass surgery by age 50 and died waiting for a heart transplant at 60. You would have thought I would have learned a lesson. First 50 years of my life I was probably a medical miracle. Cholesterol was fine.

To answer your question that I laughed at, thankfully no.
Heaviest I ever was that I know of was 232. I'm short. 5' 10''.
I was under 140 in college and stayed there until I was around 30. Then I was in the 180s for several years before I hit the 200 mark. Currently around 205.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Just wait until you go on a blind date with another couple. Order appetizer's and then find out the girl you are set up with only eats gluten free. Then, I make an attempt to appease her by talking to the chef (after I excused myself), and had a gluten free dish whipped up for her and she didn't take a single bite of it. Just picky or being a bitch?

But, what do I know or care, I banged a 34 year old :). Unfortunately she is out of town all week in Key West with a group of her friends.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I don’t question people’s choice in food (being a vegetarian myself) but gluten-free is one place where I would make an exception. I would venture to guess that a very large majority of those who glom on to this fad (no other way to describe it) have no idea what gluten is or why they are gluten free.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:00 pm As usual, I'm the opposite. We live in a culture and time of excess food.

Food is calories, if you eat too many, you'll get fat, and sick, and die.

If you have a surplus of food and eating too much is bad for you, why would you waste ANY of it on stuff you don't like when there's so much good food readily available?
It should be a function of age - it's"explore" vs "exploit". Exploring makes more sense when you will have more opportunities to eat that thing again. Exploiting makes more sense otherwise.

Algorithms To Live By explains it really well.