Picky eaters

Coffee talk.
Overlander
Contributor

Re: Picky eaters

Post by Overlander »

zsn wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:59 pm I don’t question people’s choice in food (being a vegetarian myself) but gluten-free is one place where I would make an exception. I would venture to guess that a very large majority of those who glom on to this fad (no other way to describe it) have no idea what gluten is or why they are gluten free.
My step son has Celiac's. No fad here
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I can't think of a veggie that I don't like.
Love escargot, raw oysters. Clams, octopus, crab, squid, fish or just about any other seafood.
Not big on liver (except foie gras, that stuff is allsome), but I can eat it.
Sweetbreads, gizzards, and other innards are all ok.

I don't like sweets. At all. The latest trend is adding super sweet stuff to entrees. WTF is up with that? I don't want dessert, I want dinner. I'll be happy when sweet stuff for dinner's 15 minutes is up.
Defense. Rebounds.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Everyone I know who claims to be gluten free is a fat slob who eats garbage food, doesn't work out and generally complains about how life isn't fair.

That doesn't mean some people don't have real issues with gluten, I try not to consume too much of it myself.

What's With Wheat? was an eye opening documentary that changed they way I consumed wheat based produts.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh yeah. Sweets. I don’t care for those either. It’s hard to explain to someone that you don’t want a monster slice of cake, maybe a forkful, no just like one forkful, but not really, never mind I’m good.

Haven’t had liver in years but kinda like it. Makes me think of my grandpa, who always got liver and onions at this little Italian joint we went to growing up.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:30 pm I can't think of a veggie that I don't like.
Love escargot, raw oysters. Clams, octopus, crab, squid, fish or just about any other seafood.

I don't like sweets. At all. The latest trend is adding super sweet stuff to entrees. WTF is up with that? I don't want dessert, I want dinner. I'll be happy when sweet stuff for dinner's 15 minutes is up.
High Fructose Corn Syrup bro, they put that shit in everything.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Rule 1, you should not call attention to other people's likes or dislikes at the dinner table. It's none of your bidness. It's a stoopid saying but it happens to be true, don't yuck my yum.

Rule 2, no one wants to hear about your food idiosyncrasies at the dinner table. Do not re-write the menu at a restaurant. If you have a real allergy or celiac, please discuss this with the server, it's a real issue and needs to be addressed. If at someone's home, eat what you like and shut up about 99 eating raw oysters or PhD not eating tomatoes with his burger.
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:35 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:30 pm I can't think of a veggie that I don't like.

High Fructose Corn Syrup bro, they put that shit in everything.
Put maple syrup on my steak and Imma be honked.
Defense. Rebounds.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Yeah, not a huge sweets guy myself. Will definitely have a piece of cheesecake once in a while. More a pastry fan in general.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

My buddy’s ex wife announced one day she was gluten free. This mostly just involved making him buy her some fancy potato vodka she liked.

I go over there one day and bring some booze without realizing she was all gluten free about it. She still drank it all, then bitched the next morning about how bad of a gluten reaction she was having.

The next time, I brought the potato vodka. She still drank it all, then bitched just as much the next morning, but just about being hungover.

She’s an ex now tho so nbd. But yeah I know celiac is a real thing and gluten isn’t the best either way. But I dunno if I could ever give it up.

Re: tomatoes, on burger or otherwise, it’s so hard to get good ones. But fresh garden maters are a whole different ball game, perhaps more so than most produce
shindig

Post by shindig »

I only like tomatoes on my salad and generally just the grape tomatoes. I just never cared for tomatoes on a burger or sammich. I mean I'll order a BLT w/o tomatoes...lol.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Overlander wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:16 pm
zsn wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:59 pm I don’t question people’s choice in food (being a vegetarian myself) but gluten-free is one place where I would make an exception. I would venture to guess that a very large majority of those who glom on to this fad (no other way to describe it) have no idea what gluten is or why they are gluten free.
My step son has Celiac's. No fad here
Which was the reason for my qualifiers. I have two coworkers who both order gluten free. One would get very very ill if she consumed gluten (Celiac’s). The other may have mild Celiac, although nothing particularly bad would happen to him if he consumed gluten. It’s mostly a preference.

I still maintain that for a vast majority it’s a fad. Gluten free vodka? Seriously?? Since when was there gluten in distilled alcohol?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My bros ex was fad gluten free.
Just suddenly in 2014, that was it.
Would pretend she’d get sick and make a big deal asking item by item if it was gf. If there weren’t enough gf options, she’d complain and yelp bomb it. Once at a Mexican restaurant in KC she had the cook come out who could barely speak English to explain what was in the mole sauce. Another time at a pizza place she asked about the gf option, which they had, but wondered if it was made in the same brick oven as the others ( it was, of course there wasn’t a fucking extra brick oven ). My hero waitress said, “there’s flour in the air, babe.” She had her own hummus at family get togethers which she would explain was not allowed to be contaminated. She used that word contaminated so often that the BUD and I decided to sprinkle triscuits in her hummus and mix it in. She was fine.

She was not celiac.
She was just attention starved.
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

Am I the only person that up until about 10 years ago didn't know that Celiac existed? I never knew of anyone that had it. Now I know many people.

People mentioning tomatoes.
I don't like tomatoes (alone) and I don't like cheese (alone) but pizza may be one of my 3 favorite foods. Explain that one. I know I can't.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

On its own, I don’t like flour either, but it’s awful tasty once you bake the bread
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

soo sweets...

Is it just me, or are some people who like sweets, like, addictive about it?

It’s one thing to enjoy a sugary snack every now and then. But some people treat it like they don’t even have a choice about it; that simultaneous defensive and also resigned and submissive, like they’re fiending for a cig or something...
shindig

Post by shindig »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:43 am soo sweets...

It’s one thing to enjoy a sugary snack every now and then. But some people treat it like they don’t even have a choice about it; that simultaneous defensive and also resigned and submissive, like they’re fiending for a cig or something...
yeah, I occasionally have a sweet like a chocolate chip cookie or brownie, but it usually is something my Mom bakes or my neighbor brings over. But I limit it to 1 cookie/brownie at a time and usually end up throwing away the rest after a week. I never really get cravings, occasionally my blood sugar level my get low and I do get a craving, so I generally will just drink a soda or something.
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

As a recovering drug addict who has major addictive wiring in my brain, I can attest to food (different types) being something that can be highly addictive. People get a "high" from it and not just crave more but your brain tells you that you NEED more.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:43 am soo sweets...

I am a firm believer in the existence of addiction to anything considered yummy or savory. For some, it's drugs, for others it's sex, power or food. We all find different things that we crave because our body identifies them to be yummy. The mind and body find those things to be comforting and satisfying and we as humans crave comfort and satisfaction.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mine is Kansas basketball.
shindig

Post by shindig »

And what's with the dessert thing? I never eat sweets after dinner. But my Dad always does. Anytime I am over at my parents house for dinner, my Dad is like "what's for dessert"?...lol. Then he complains about not being able to lose weight. And restaurants always push desserts on you.