Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Totally random thread

Post by ousdahl »

Christian, for the last time, you’re not allowed to stay at my beach house any more! - Coach K
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

japhy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:13 pm If you got a text message that read

"please call me

-Christian Laettner"

Would you respond and how?

Asking for a friend.

Delete, block
Defense. Rebounds.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:00 pm
japhy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:13 pm If you got a text message that read

"please call me

-Christian Laettner"

Would you respond and how?

Asking for a friend.

Delete, block
But don't you want to know who is fucking with you, sending a text message addressed "Christian Laettner"?

Better yet, if it really is Laettner, don't you wanna tell him you are a Jayhawk and to go fuck himself?

It is a conundrum few us have ever faced.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Japhy, if it is any consolation, I will call you Christian Laettner
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I really think of myself more as a Bobby Hurley.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Signed up for a hyvee discount card. Address was required. I tried to put in a Bogus address but it had to be a real one. So I entered:

1060 W Addison
Chicago, IL

It took it.
Defense. Rebounds.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

So....

Mrs. 99 and I will be in KC this weekend. I was poking around looking for a hotel but hadn't picked one yet. I get an email confirmation from Hilton in some weird town in New York for two weeks from now. I figure it's some kind of scam but notice the confirmation number is someone with my last name and the the room has been paid in advance.

Rather than click on any links in the email, I Google the hotel and the phone number matches the one in the confirmation email.

I call it and tell the nice lady who answered that I have a confirmation for a reservation that I did not make. I give her the number and she says, "Oh, that.... can you hold a second?"

Turns out she's a new VIP member with the same last name as me and whoever signed her up hosed up the email address.

Crazy stuff.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Racist anger? Bronze not exactly high value salvage.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:44 pm So....

Mrs. 99 and I will be in KC this weekend. I was poking around looking for a hotel but hadn't picked one yet. I get an email confirmation from Hilton in some weird town in New York for two weeks from now. I figure it's some kind of scam but notice the confirmation number is someone with my last name and the the room has been paid in advance.

Rather than click on any links in the email, I Google the hotel and the phone number matches the one in the confirmation email.

I call it and tell the nice lady who answered that I have a confirmation for a reservation that I did not make. I give her the number and she says, "Oh, that.... can you hold a second?"

Turns out she's a new VIP member with the same last name as me and whoever signed her up hosed up the email address.

Crazy stuff.
Speaking of emails from hotels, I get an email to my work account from Marriott apologizing for a data breach and offering me a free 4-night stay at any location and to redeem use the link in the email.

Due to a lot of work-related travel I’m one of the highest levels in Marriott Bonvoy, but I never used my work email account. So I’m wondering how they could have obtained my work email, especially since I had been at this role for only about 6 months at that time. I had recently stayed at a few Marriott properties in China a couple of months earlier, and they always take a picture of my business card. Maybe that ……………

Anyway, I walk around the corner from my office to the head of IT for my company and tell him about this email, and how I think it’s a possible scam and should I report it, or if they are aware of similar emails to other employees. He goes “you passed”. Me:”????” Our IT has been running phishing tests and anyone who clicked the link has to go to training!!!!!

Nice!!!!!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We get those tests all the time. I'm always tempted to click the link to see what happens but I know it would be bad, so I don't.
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Crap, it's annual appraisal day. I have to self-evaluate. Seems I had a bunch of goals set and of course I'm just now looking at them. Mostly courses and writing stuff. But it's too late for any of that.

I can get the BS about how great I am done, but I hate that stuff. I can't seem to write that without sounding like a total doooshbag.

I hate this stuff.
Defense. Rebounds.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I want to see some metrics, 99. Some stretch goals.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Fuck it 99, you had to improvise, that's what real leaders and superstars do.

You set those goals at the first of the year.

As the year devolved you had to go off script and reevaluate and set new more awesomer goals.

Whatever the hell it was you did this year, it was brilliant improvisation and the fuckers are lucky to have you. You are a superstar!, tell them that.

Metrics only tell a small part of the story, you are awesome!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Yeah, I worked in some quality bullshit with some really good adjectives.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:37 pm Yeah, I worked in some quality bullshit with some really good adjectives.
I hope the adjectives were explicit.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

is there a shortage of milk? no? then why the fuck is cream cheese so expensive all of a sudden.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:30 am is there a shortage of milk? no? then why the fuck is cream cheese so expensive all of a sudden.
I hadn't noticed but... jalapeño poppers?
Defense. Rebounds.