Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
kubandalum

Re: Totally random thread

Post by kubandalum »

Watched “Young Frankenstein” on Starz tonight, and after seeing it tens of times in the last 40+ years, I still caught hilarious little touches I hadn’t noticed before. To me it’s Mel Brooks best film and the best comedy film ever made. Great clip here (under 6 minutes):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RyU99BCNRuU
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

According to Yelp, still there.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

kubandalum wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:55 pm Watched “Young Frankenstein” on Starz tonight, and after seeing it tens of times in the last 40+ years, I still caught hilarious little touches I hadn’t noticed before. To me it’s Mel Brooks best film and the best comedy film ever made. Great clip here (under 6 minutes):

love the stallions every time the frau’s name is spoken
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:14 am
kubandalum wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:55 pm Watched “Young Frankenstein” on Starz tonight, and after seeing it tens of times in the last 40+ years, I still caught hilarious little touches I hadn’t noticed before. To me it’s Mel Brooks best film and the best comedy film ever made. Great clip here (under 6 minutes):

There's a story behind that -- or at least a theory.

A great many important and prominent American Jews resented/hated Hannah Arendt -- the author of The Origins of Totalitarianism and Eichmann in Jerusalem, to name just two -- for two reasons. First, she had a long affair with Martin Heidegger, the German philosopher and Nazi sympathizer. And second, because she appeared (in both books named here) to have blamed Germany's Jews, in part, for their own persecution.

Since Arendt was married to (and widowed by) Heinrich Bluecher, she was, technically, Frau Bluecher. It is thought/presumed/theorized that the character and her effect on the horses was a not-so-subtle swipe by Brooks and Wilder at Arendt.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

The McRib is back. Individual stores get to decide if they will offer it or not.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

my McStomach gets the McRumbles just McThinking about it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Looking at the https://mcriblocator.com/map.html it seems as if New England is just too good for the McRib.
Bummer.
Deleted User 89

highbrows
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:29 am
TraditionKU wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:14 am

There's a story behind that -- or at least a theory.

A great many important and prominent American Jews resented/hated Hannah Arendt -- the author of The Origins of Totalitarianism and Eichmann in Jerusalem, to name just two -- for two reasons. First, she had a long affair with Martin Heidegger, the German philosopher and Nazi sympathizer. And second, because she appeared (in both books named here) to have blamed Germany's Jews, in part, for their own persecution.

Since Arendt was married to (and widowed by) Heinrich Bluecher, she was, technically, Frau Bluecher. It is thought/presumed/theorized that the character and her effect on the horses was a not-so-subtle swipe by Brooks and Wilder at Arendt.
Fascinating. Sounds plausible.

My favorite line from the movie is, “Ovaltine!”
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Bigger HR violation....
A woman asking you, "How's it hanging"?
Or responding "why didn't you ask me what's up"?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

time to reserect the workplace hookups thread.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Big fire near Malibu today. 101 freeway closed near Thousand Oaks. Lots of smoke.
Deleted User 183

Nevermind. Not good.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Whoa! The power randomly went out!

Apparently in the whole valley. Like 3 towns and a ski resort.

Beaverfever and I are chilling around a lantern listening to tunes on my phone til the battery dies. I figured our best bet is to play “take the power back” by rage against the machine on repeat.

Initially it was kinda amusing. We swapped power outage stories. (What’s yours?) When I moved to Kansas as a kid it was kind of a regular thing. Storm rolls in, flash and a boom, there goes the power.

But then I noticed the electronic thermostat on the wall is out too. If I had to wake up in the middle of the night and put on another layer I’d be cool with it, no pun intended, but I’m more concerned about the pipes in our place.

And for that matter, in a lot of shoddy condos and vacation cabins, across a high elevation valley, with a cold front blowing in.

Also I dunno if this belongs here or in the weather thread. As a whole it’s the more discussed theme in this post.

But I mean cmon, what’s more random than a power outage?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

the power came back on!

thanks for all of you guys's concern.

now let's get this thread back on topic!

I found this ski review in Norwegian and google translated it:

Rossignol R-skin Race gets praise in DN's test panel to give a good grip on all types of lead. If you appreciate good slipping rather than partying, you might want more enjoyment from other fellowships in the test. Hos Click divides the test panel DN's skiing experience, and thinks they are both good to lead, give a good fit and have a good glide, but a bit of slack gives a draw in the score.
Deleted User 89

gota love google translate
Deleted User 183

Ever wake up in the morning and look at your bed, sheets, blanket, and pillows and wonder wtf?
I think there might have been a tornado in my bedroom last night. I know I was there but I missed it.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

From 3:05 to 6:10 in this video is a great look at and description of what computers were like in 1969. (Episode title and description do not match episode uploaded.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C28icT0HLms
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

RIP

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Oh shit STAN LEE!