Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 266

Re: Totally random thread

Post by Deleted User 266 »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:05 pm
Paul1 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:27 pm Really? You would shoot a cop for snooping around in your backyard? I'm honestly surprised you would say that.
What would be the repercussions of your blowing off a cop's head for snooping around in your backyard? Either you get blown away in front of your wife or you land in prison? If so, neither seem like good endings to me.
In Texas, if someone is on your property, armed or not, you have the right to defend yourself as well as your property.

The police on this situation made no attempt to identify themselves as police, which puts them in the intruder category.

Honestly, I would not be in the "questions asked" mood if there were folks inside my perimeter...looking in windows.

As for getting blown away, I would very much like my odds in that situation.
Thanks for the respectful response.

So in other words are you basically saying In Texas, people can legally shoot one another simply because they are on each other's property?
Gee, what happens when my son accidentally throws his ball in to someone's yard? I go to get the ball and someone feels the need to "defend" themself not knowing that I am simply getting my son's ball so they blow my head off in front of my child? Sorry but that's really messed up in my mind.

The police officer 100% fucked up in the situation in which this innocent women was shot in her home.
Here I go with my "no gun, no one gets shot" comment but of course the police are going to be armed. Zero defense for what the cop did.

I actually understand that you would not be in the questions asked mood if there were people on your property looking in your window but unfortunately maybe that's the common USA mentality that I have a difficult time with - someone is on my property and I'll shoot first and ask questions later. I think it's fucked up that we have the right to take someone's life simply because we don't like that they are on our property but then I grew up in a neighborhood with very little crime and "violence" so I am probably of a different mindset based on that.

As far as your saying, "As for getting blown away, I would very much like my odds in that situation".
I don't doubt it knowing your background. You would like your odds at first - if there was a single cop. If there were multiple cops my guess is all of a sudden your odds aren't so good anymore and one or more of them could/would shoot you soon after. I would like their odds in that situation.
God forbid you are ever in that situation.
Deleted User 266

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

perhaps plano meant he would be within his own rights?
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

[quote=TraditionKU post_id=66774 time=1571144676 user_id=89]
perhaps plano meant he would be within his own rights?
[/quote]

Exactly.
Our home is very secure. If you are looking through a window into my home, you climbed a wall.

Uninvited, I would consider any shadowy figure a live target.

As for my odds, if I have to use deadly force to protect my home, I would immediately call the police. They can sort out who the victim is.

Watching this video, I see 2 police entering a property hoping to get a chance to catch some one doing something wrong. Otherwise, they would follow protocol and announce themselves as police...usually by knocking on the door.

Maybe cops play video games too.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 266

I think we need more visitors from Boston in Chicago.....

https://wgntv.com/2019/10/15/it-matters ... eM-TF6b5pw
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">attn: SAS came up on Last Week Tonight & it's the good stuff <a href="https://t.co/xfXAkc6PXT">pic.twitter.co ... </p>&mdash; Timothy Burke (@bubbaprog) <a href="https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/11 ... w">October 14, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

this is no bull...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... s-not-good

(or at least not enough)
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Anyone watch the premiere of The Watchmen on HBO last night? Not sure how I feel about it yet.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm interested but i'm a big fan of the graphic novel so if they use it's name for a story that could have been some other super hero kinda deal, then meh.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I watched it. Did not know it was a comic book thingie. I'll check it out next week. Scary stuff so far.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I listened to a Planet Money episode about that.
Really interesting.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:57 am I listened to a Planet Money episode about that.
Really interesting.
It's amazing how many people bought medallions with the idea that, because the medallions seemed to always appreciate in value over time, it would ensure their future and provide them with the funds to live on in retirement when they sold them decades later. But instead, they got ubered.
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Disruption of tech, baby!
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:54 am Disruption of tech, baby!
Yeah. Uber’s killing it...
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sooooo,
It's been 5 years since my last colonoscopy. I get to do it again tomorrow. Gulping down prep now.

May God have mercy on my soul.
Defense. Rebounds.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

FYI: even if you know it's just a fart, it isn't.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:20 pm Sooooo,
It's been 5 years since my last colonoscopy. I get to do it again tomorrow. Gulping down prep now.

May God have mercy on my soul.
"gulping" implies you're doing a liquid prep.

Hopefully not a gallon of GoLYTELY?

Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 286

Post by Deleted User 286 »

So I was out today taking pictures of a few parcels of farmland being purchased out in the middle of nowhere....hop on the highway and get behind a benz with "THEPHOG" as their license plate and a KU plate border. Jayhawk nation is everywhere. Couldn't tell if he saw the Jayhawk sticker in my back window as I passed him or not, but I hope so.