Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: Totally random thread

Post by PhDhawk »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:50 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:35 pm There's a coin shortage people. If you were smart you'd take my advice and be hoarding them. I made some serious dough last week selling all my coins to Lobster's In-Laws at a significant markup.
That was smart.

Now if there was only a youtube video you could post to back this up. Otherwise it feels a bit, you know, shallow.
Here's one for Lobster, not about coin hoarding though.

https://youtu.be/lF7NqeZuO3E
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Posted a video to Instagram tonight.
Strangest thing is the first 3 women who "liked" it were a woman who I was madly in love with when I was in my 20s, a woman I was madly in love with in my 30s, and a woman I was madly in love with in my 40s.

Anyways, if anyone cares about the video, here it is.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDVBSbBFZAe/?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 289

Today was a total shit show for me and now my "entertainment" is watching a "search" for a body in Lake Michigan - which I figure has to be a "recovery" at this point. Pics to follow. Maybe.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Grandma wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:14 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:04 pm You gonna be in Kentucky?
Doubtful. My guess is the Derby will not have its usual attendance and I am not sure how/if I would be allowed to attend. I do have a few other sources but I'm not thrilled about the thought of attending during a pandemic.
Plus, I don't think the horse will win so that doesn't interest me in being there if it loses.
Of course I will let you know if I do attend. I will/would be happy to buy you and your wife a Derby Eve dinner if you're available.
speaking of...

heard yesterday that the first winner of the derby was ridden by a black man, and trained by a freed slave

i wonder how many current derby-goers have any clue. i’d imagine less than 5%...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Grandma wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:01 pm Today was a total shit show for me and now my "entertainment" is watching a "search" for a body in Lake Michigan - which I figure has to be a "recovery" at this point. Pics to follow. Maybe.
A bunch of my daughters' friends were classmates of his at DePaul Prep. One of her friends went with him and a group of kids to "the ledge" before this happened. Just horrific.
Deleted User 289

chiknbut wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:14 pm
Grandma wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:01 pm Today was a total shit show for me and now my "entertainment" is watching a "search" for a body in Lake Michigan - which I figure has to be a "recovery" at this point. Pics to follow. Maybe.
A bunch of my daughters' friends were classmates of his at DePaul Prep. One of her friends went with him and a group of kids to "the ledge" before this happened. Just horrific.
They found the kid early this morning and it is/was indeed horrific.
I'm especially ticked off because this should have never happened. There are life-guards all along up and down the lake and for some unknown reason there wasn't someone at "the ledge" keeping people OUT of the water. On a nice calm day it's extremely inconsistent in terms of where you can and can NOT go swimming. The day he drowned NO ONE ANYWHERE should have been allowed in the water.
That's not to say the kids couldn't/wouldn't have gone in the water anyways but I question why these kids were either "allowed" or blatantly disregarded the "warning/s".
Deleted User 289

Anyone want to own a piece/"micro-share" of a horse named Naismith?

Go to myracehorse.com
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Grandma wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:59 pm Anyone want to own a piece/"micro-share" of a horse named Naismith?

Go to myracehorse.com
Neighsmith
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 289

Stupid fucking idiot me was dumb enough to book a trip through American Airlines Vacations.
I paid upfront for the air fare (which pretty much everyone does when traveling) AND the hotel (which most people don't do when traveling).
This was for me going to LA for the 2020 Western Regional Finals and to do other things.
Due to the virus, everything I had planned pretty much got canceled.
AT THE TIME (early March) American was still flying to LA and Hotels were still operating. American Airlines would not give me a full refund but gave me a credit in which I must use in a year.
That was all fine and dandy.

I take two trips/vacations a year and try to take a third if possible. 1) I go to LA in December/January and attend the Rose Bowl and 2) I go to the Final Four or Regional Finals games.
I am confident the 2021 Rose Bowl will NOT be played in January - and if it is, it will be limited in attendance. Obviously I don't know if there will be a 2021 Final Four but if there is, it will be in Indianapolis. While I feel Indianapolis is the best host city for the Final Four, I'm not sure I would want to go and if I did, I would probably drive - not fly.

So here is my predicament. I called American Airlines Vacations and asked if I book another vacation and then have to cancel due to the coronavirus or another legitimate malady, will I be able to extend the credit. I was told no. WTF?
So in essence, I'm supposed to book something somewhere that I may not be able to go to nor want to go to just to keep the credit - or I will lose my $4,000.
I hesitate to get an attorney involved because their policy is pretty black and white but obviously it might be worth it to try and get my $4,000 back.

Moral of the story is..... I'm fucked.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Another example of how you could afford to move out of Chicago if you desired to do so.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 289

You got me. Yes, I can probably afford to "move" in a lateral manner. Problem is where I would like to live, "lateral" would mean lesser. Sure it would be nice to escape the chaos of Chicago even if it meant living in a "lesser" home but I am at an age where if/when I move, I would hope it would be my last move/home so I would like to live somewhere in a home in which I could live happily.
Deleted User 289

On another note.
I have a friend who's 80 year old mother I have known for 50 years.
I am very fond of her but she's a Trumper and an insanely brainwashed one at that.
For some unknown reason she feels the need to communicate with me through Facebook.
Well, today she sent me one of the many Jon Voight videos.
It was unbearable to watch.
I sent her a polite message saying please don't send me anymore political messages and explained she and I don't see eye to eye, we probably never will, it's ok that we have our differences, and it's not worth our fighting about and jeopardizing our friendship.
She responded that I am just like my mother and am too stubborn to admit Trump is great for America, and how could I possibly vote for Biden because he's a criminal and will destroy our country.
I said, if that's what you believe - terrific. Please stop sending me videos and I explained to you my reasons why.
She's Israeli (born there - moved here in her 20s) and sent me some video in Hebrew that I have no idea what the fuck it is. Seems like some crazy political newscaster going off on a tangent.
I don't want to "block" or "unfriend" her but I don't know what to do anymore.
Any suggestions?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Break up with her.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'm no facebook expert, but I have unfollowed people. Not sure how that works with direct messages.
Last dood I unfollowed was this extremely religious dood who loved to share hate filled messages from franklin graham.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 289

pdub wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:57 amBreak up with her.
Deleted User 289

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:41 pm I'm no facebook expert, but I have unfollowed people. Not sure how that works with direct messages.
Last dood I unfollowed was this extremely religious dood who loved to share hate filled messages from franklin graham.
I'm going to figure a way to "block" her or at least stop getting messages from her without "unfriending" her. It's a fragile relationship because I am very good friends with her children and she is close with my mother. I don't want to upset anyone in the circle.