Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
twocoach

Re: Totally random thread

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:14 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:40 pm
Paul1 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:14 am I am in agreement with Pepper but the bottom line is - Cash is KING?
How much thought have any of you put in to - what is everyone going to do when there is a major cyber attack that fucks over all the major banks and banking "systems"?
Our banks are under attack every millisecond of every day. There are bots hammering away at our door looking for a way in. Unless you are banking with some mom and pop bank, I dont worry about that scenario. It's not impossible but damn near.
LOL guess you missed Chase Bank getting hacked.

Good lord you just speak BS like it's fact non stop. Fucking clown.
That's a piddly little breach thanks to an employee falling for a phishing campaign. What he was talking about was a multi bank hack where the criminals infiltrate the actual systems and gain access to cardholder accounts, not a glean of cardholder names, addresses, phone number and emails after the fact. There were NO account information (card numbers, passwords, user IDs etc...) compromised in the Chase hack.

I can get people's names addresses, emails and phone numbers from a damn Google search.
Deleted User 281

Post by Deleted User 281 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:22 pm
Our banks are under attack every millisecond of every day. There are bots hammering away at our door looking for a way in. Unless you are banking with some mom and pop bank, I dont worry about that scenario. It's not impossible but damn near.

That's a piddly little breach thanks to an employee falling for a phishing campaign. What he was talking about was a multi bank hack where the criminals infiltrate the actual systems and gain access to cardholder accounts, not a glean of cardholder names, addresses, phone number and emails after the fact. There were NO account information (card numbers, passwords, user IDs etc...) compromised in the Chase hack.

I can get people's names addresses, emails and phone numbers from a damn Google search.
Guess we have different ideas of piddly.

Capital one had a breach last week.

It'll happen sooner or later. But you're right, all it takes is 1 employee clicking something they shouldn't.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:40 pm

Guess we have different ideas of piddly.

Capital one had a breach last week.

It'll happen sooner or later. But you're right, all it takes is 1 employee clicking something they shouldn't.
Piddly is names and addresses. Again, this is common data that can be found virtually everywhere. We used to hand out an updated list of that info every year right to your door. It was called a phone book.

The Capital One breach was also just names, addresses, phone #s, DOB etc.. They did lose some SSNs and about 80k linked bank account numbers, which would be a problem if disseminated or sold. But go to a Target or Home Depot and you're basically just handing over your account info to hackers as well. This is normal life these days.
Deleted User 281

Post by Deleted User 281 »

Can't disagree with that. I rarely swipe a card at a big box retailer if I don't have to. Rather justhan give them cash.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Actually, what I was thinking about was a total shut down and loss of access.
People unable to use their credit, unable to access their money, unable to make withdrawals (and deposits), etc. I assume there are many extremely sophisticated measures in place to prevent that from happening but as I have been known to say - where there is a will there is way.

"Whether a major cyber attack is deliberate or somewhat accidental, the damage could be substantial. Most of the ATM networks across North America could freeze. Credit card and other payment systems could fail across entire nations, as happened to the VISA network in the UK in June. Online banking could become inaccessible: no cash, no payments, no reliable information about bank accounts. Banks could lose the ability to transact with one another during a critical period of uncertainty. There could be widespread panic, albeit temporary".

https://hbr.org/2018/09/how-a-cyber-att ... ial-crisis
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Our data center even has its own power supply so that if someone shut down the power grid, our systems would still run.

Lots of "could" in your concern, but there are far scarier things out there to worry about.

Besides, cash wont go away for a long time. So long as people want to do off the record transactions there will always be a need for cash. You can't hide a credit card transaction.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

The 2014 hack?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I go through maybe 50 bucks in cash a year.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 266

Feral - I thought this was right up your alley. No pun/s intended.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2019/0 ... n-orig.cnn
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:22 pm I can get people's names addresses, emails and phone numbers from a damn Google search.
There came along on WhatsApp a message not to put your name and address on your luggage tag. The details are boring and mostly implausible (something about interntional drug dealers hiding stuff in your luggage and then coming to your house to retrieve them) but it got me thinking about what you just posted.

It's quite possible/plausible that nefarious characters can get this information off luggage tags as your bags are on the carousel. It doesn't take that long for someone to pull your bag off as an accomplice snaps a picture of the luggage tag and then "innocently" put it back under the pretext that they pulled off the wrong bag. If you happen to observe it you wouldn't think much of it or know that they do this every few minutes on every carousel, since you would just grab your bag and leave!
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

You can go on google, type in a person's name and a city location and have their addresses for the last 20 years come up. It's public record.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Not doubting/contesting what you said....just pointing out ways that available information can be obtained with little to no trouble.
Deleted User 266

I remember back in the .com days someone had learned my name and then posted something in reference to my assumed home address that they took the time to look up/research/Google.
I don't have a common name but there is in fact someone else with the same name as me that lives in the Chicagoland area. They had the wrong guy.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

there are multiple gutters?

who knew...
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Only work addresses goes on luggage.
Deleted User 266

Mind blowing.
I have a "panoramic" view of the city and lake from my apartment.
I often see things that intrigue me. This evening about 2 miles from where I live I could see a lot of police/fire/ambulance activity.
So..... At the same time about 6 blocks away from each other there was a boat that capsized on the lake. There was a rescue.
The other incident involved some schmuck who allegedly fell in a "lagoon" near the Lincoln Park Zoo. Apparently the person died.
Never a dull moment in the city.

https://twitter.com/EricTendian/status/ ... 8209024002

https://twitter.com/CWBChicago/status/1 ... 2509617153

https://twitter.com/CWBChicago/status/1 ... 0255998978

This occurred not far from my home earlier today.

https://twitter.com/Chicago_Scanner/sta ... 7292600325

I have found a new entertainment source.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChicagoScan ... htag_click
Deleted User 266

Watched them pull the dead guy out of the water today. Not fun. His mother was standing next to me when they found him.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I didn’t know what ‘mendacious‘ meant. I was going to make it my new favorite word, but now I’m not so sure I ever have the use for it.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

lobster isn't going to like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIhLEwe-tU

USWNT Star Carli Lloyd Considering NFL Career

“If she’s going to do this, she’ll do it.” That’s what trainer James Galanis said about Lloyd’s interest in kicking for an NFL team next season. Galanis claims she’s received interest from several squads — including an offer to play in a preseason game Thursday — after a video emerged of the soccer star drilling a 55-yard field goal at the Philadelphia Eagles’ training camp. While that offer conflicted with a USWNT game, Lloyd said she’s “seriously considering” the prospect of going pro.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It’d be interesting to see her compete. She’d need to practice field goal kicking without the big run up but if she could kick 50 yarders accurately, sign her up.