‘21 Draft

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

‘21 Draft

Post by ousdahl »

Did we have a draft thread?

Garrett and Wilson invited to the G League Elite Camp, for whatever that’s worth

https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-leag ... n-chicago/
CrimsonNBlue

Re: ‘21 Draft

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It would seem to mean bad news for Garrett and that Wilson will be back in Lawrence very soon.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea, that’s a camp just to compete for a spot at the actual combine.

Wonder what no invite for Och means
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It means he is going to the combine.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Combine

His athletic ability and and ability to shoot...

Next year.

In lawrence.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I doubt Och has much to gain (nba wise) by returning to Kansas.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It seems to me that he is on that line of drafted/undrafted. So, coming back and playing with Remy, there would be the opportunity to play on a Top 5 team and raise stock to get drafted in the tourney.

Of course, there's no way to ever know if someone like that is going to get drafted or not until it happens.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:10 am I doubt Och has much to gain (nba wise) so he might as well return to Kansas.
fyp?
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:16 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:10 am I doubt Och has much to gain (nba wise) so he might as well return to Kansas.
fyp?
Ya maybe....i am not saying he has not shot at a long term NBA or professional career....I just don't think he's going to significantly change his outlook with another year at KU.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:18 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:16 am
fyp?
Ya maybe....i am not saying he has not shot at a long term NBA or professional career....I just don't think he's going to significantly change his outlook with another year at KU.
if that’s the case, then his outlook has never been very good

i think he could absolutely change his draft outlook by coming back and putting together a more solid year than last...maybe, i don’t know, show that you can do more than catch ally-oops and occasionally hit a spot-up jumper
Deleted User 863

He rarely catches alley oops fwiw.

He has proven he has a decent 3pt shot and that he has an NBA body and potential to be a good defender. That isn't going to significantly change with an extra 7months in Lawrence. He isn't turning into a lotto pick. 2nd rounder is nothing to turn your nose up at. Most of his work to make it in the nba will need to be done in the nba. Not college.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Re: alley oops, he's also never had a good passing PG here.

He has a nice pull-up jumper that would serve him well in the league. What he has mostly been lacking is consistency. And, on that note, he hasn't had a normal season here in his 3 years.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Not anyone's fault here, but I don't think there is or will be any mystery around Och and the draft this year.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:55 am He rarely catches alley oops fwiw.

He has proven he has a decent 3pt shot and that he has an NBA body and potential to be a good defender. That isn't going to significantly change with an extra 7months in Lawrence. He isn't turning into a lotto pick. 2nd rounder is nothing to turn your nose up at. Most of his work to make it in the nba will need to be done in the nba. Not college.
fringe second rounder and maybe undrafted

big difference between that and second rounder or fringe first rounder
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Every time some poster says something overarching and generic about “how player x doesn’t gain anything nba wise by returning” I can just generically reply with “buddy heild”.
Deleted User 863

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:06 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:55 am He rarely catches alley oops fwiw.

fringe second rounder and maybe undrafted

big difference between that and second rounder or fringe first rounder
He's not going to elevate himself into a lock 1st rounder no matter what (if we are being realistic). So no, not a big difference. There is very little difference (long term) between 2nd rounder and undrafted.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

No matter what?
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

TDub wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:11 amNo matter what?
Probably not imo. Just go thru the list of players that will be in the draft class.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:08 am Every time some poster says something overarching and generic about “how player x doesn’t gain anything nba wise by returning” I can just generically reply with “buddy heild”.
It’s just illy’s schtick . It’s the exact same thing every year.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There's not a player out there that would rather go undrafted than 2nd round.

We also do this thing when talking about the draft and assume every player has the same exact goals, needs, wants, etc. for the draft vs. stay in school decision and values the same things that we think they should.

Why is there no difference between 2nd round and undrafted on its face? I bet Devon would have had a thoughtful answer to that late last summer.

I think Och is gone based on what he and the staff have said, but won't pretend to know what is best for him or what he's looking to get out of the whole thing.