Evil Rich People

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Evil Rich People

Post by ousdahl »

sooo this whole Taylor Swift private jet tracker thing

A college kid uses publicly available FAA data to track literal 13 minute flights from one side of St. Louis to, uh, the other side of St. Louis; and a billionaire pop star threatens lawsuits over it

Not to mention the frightening perspective of it all
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:36 pm sooo this whole Taylor Swift private jet tracker thing

A college kid uses publicly available FAA data to track literal 13 minute flights from one side of St. Louis to, uh, the other side of St. Louis; and a billionaire pop star threatens lawsuits over it

Not to mention the frightening perspective of it all
Actually, it's not her who is threatening the lawsuits. It's her attorney/attorneys.

Long Washington Post article about it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... al-threat/

P.S. Between the FBI and FAA I am surprised there isn't a kibosh put on someone/anyone being able to track private planes when the owners don't want it to be tracked.
A quick search of a plane and you often get a "This aircraft (whatever tail number) is not available for public tracking per request from the owner/operator".
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The real freeloaders

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/02/22/tax ... r-irs.html

Tax evasion by millionaires and billionaires tops $150 billion a year, says IRS chief
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:52 pm The real freeloaders

Tax evasion by millionaires and billionaires tops $150 billion a year, says IRS chief
And that doesn't factor in the billions of dollars of legal loopholes they are already fully allowed to take advantage of.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

it is our duty as Americans to get the best refund we can funagle.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

well now that is a fun angle
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

That's a lot of money but let's put it in perspective. In 2023 the IRS collected 4.7 trillion in taxes.
Sure I'm upset that the "millionaires" and "billionaires" didn't pay the $150 billion - so the migrants down the street from me could be given steak and lobster for dinner and be put up at the Four Seasons instead of - still living better than I do despite my working 9 hour days 5 days a week - while they don't do much more than fuck and smoke weed all day.

your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:27 pm

That's a lot of money but let's put it in perspective. In 2023 the IRS collected 4.7 trillion in taxes.
Sure I'm upset that the "millionaires" and "billionaires" didn't pay the $150 billion - so the migrants down the street from me could be given steak and lobster for dinner and be put up at the Four Seasons instead of - still living better than I do despite my working 9 hour days 5 days a week - while they don't do much more than fuck and smoke weed all day.

You should time out for a bit Gutman
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Ah, the “maybe I should become a professional migrant” lament! What’s stopping you from becoming “them” if “they” have it so good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Overlander wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:15 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:27 pm

You should time out for a bit Gutman
Yeah, I should probably time out.....
Meanwhile, thankfully for you, you are living a charmed life in a nice town while I am living a life in which yesterday I worked an 11 hour day and after riding the Red Line (train) I got off the train hungry and had to pay $28 for a pound of chicken tenders, two apples, a bottle of "cheap" BBQ sauce, and a bottle of Coke Zero, and walk home thinking about how almost half of my pay check after taxes goes to pay my rent.
You know, after my ride on the Red Line where there were a bunch of migrants smoking weed in the back of one of the train cars and giving people (including me) a daring look of - don't fuck with us - and then my getting home and reading about this....

https://cwbchicago.com/2024/02/chicago- ... enger.html

and this

https://cwbchicago.com/2024/02/chicago- ... eprts.html

I have ZERO problem with people who want to come to this country to make a better life for themselves (and their families), and want to do as such legally, and be productive members of society, but I have a HUGE problem with assholes who are in this country illegally committing crimes while being treated better than me - and more importantly people such as war veterans - by those who continue to enable it to happen.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

zsn wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:14 pm Ah, the “maybe I should become a professional migrant” lament! What’s stopping you from becoming “them” if “they” have it so good?
Nothing is stopping me from becoming "them". Other than figuring out how not to have born in this country, figuring out how to be in this country illegally, having to quit my job, stop paying taxes, stop paying my rent, and stop obeying laws.
Then heck, I can get fed - well. Housed - in what used to be a $300+ a night hotel. Clothed - in free clothing - some of which is nicer than what I currently have and paid for. Be given a free cell phone and free cell phone service - as opposed to paying for my cell phone and cell phone service.
And not have to do jack shit all day to get all that - other than smoke weed, fuck, and break laws.

Alright, being more level headed now....
I'm not saying they have it so much better than me but they sure as shit have it A LOT better than a lot of other Americans.
You, jeeper, most people on here, might not have a problem with it. I do. So be it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:29 am smoke weed, fuck, and break laws.

Man, being a migrant sounds so rad
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

ousdahl wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:09 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:29 am smoke weed, fuck, and break laws.

Man, being a migrant sounds so rad
Yeah, not too bad. Huh?

Then you (actually I) get this kind of shit.....

@SPOTNEWSonIG
2634 S Pulaski: caller heard one shot fired in the back of the migrant shelter. #Chicago #ChicagoScanner
1:19 PM · Feb 24, 2024

@SPOTNEWSonIG
1810 S Blue Island: caller says migrants are stealing, there's a vehicle involved, it's 4 male Hispanics in a brown Malibu. #Chicago #ChicagoScanner

@ChuckCallesto
Feb 23
SHOCK REPORT: ⚠️ 911 call reveals over 100 Migrants attacking Home Depot in Chicago.

@SPOTNEWSonIG
Feb 20
3259 N Elston: a call of migrants doing migrant shit at the shelter, the project manager from the shelter says 150 residents threatened to jump on a family of 5 in the lobby area of the gym, one member is supposed to be in a gang, nothing further. #Chicago #ChicagoScanner

@Williamjkelly
ROUND THREE: There's been a violent stabbing by a Venezuelan migrant housed at the storied Standard Club, which is owned by the same man, Remo Polselli, who owns the Inn of Chicago, the subject of my previous viral investigation. The Judge set bail at $20K to put him on electronic monitoring...at the Standard Club on the taxpayer's dime. Wait until you see the digs! #thatreporter
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/01/economy/ ... index.html

"Many millennials are currently grasping in frustration at long-held American Dreams like homeownership, a steady job and an affordable cost of living. However, over the next twenty years, Millennials are poised to inherit some $90 trillion of assets and become the richest generation in history – but only the ones who already come from affluent families, potentially deepening wealth inequality further.

Between now and 2044 in the US, the Silent Generation and Baby Boomers are expected to hand over the reins of their significant wealth to Millennials, according to The Wealth Report, a periodic report from global property consultant Knight Frank.

But whether you’re a Millennial on the receiving end of that wealth transfer is largely a lottery of birth."

But tell me again how there is no such thing as "white privilege" as families who have been able to buy and pass land and assets from generation to generation for more than two centuries continue to get a leg up.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

A big chunk of that accumulated wealth will be transferred to companies that provide services to the elderly. My mom currently is 86 and has $400K in the bank. With her expense at the care facility running $10K/month, she has about 2.5 years to go before the well runs dry. Annie's mom is 74 and her care is running about $7K/month and has $800K in the bank. There will be no transference of wealth from generation to generation in these scenarios, and these are people who have done well by most standards.

Maybe their grandkids should buy stocks in companies that make money providing services to the elderly.

Maybe the most positive way to look at it is this. Many in the silent and boomer generation spent a part of their adulthood caring for elderly family members. They subsequently saved so that they wouldn't "be a burden to their kids". Fair enough, Annie has not quit her job and moved to Fargo to the care of her mom because mom had a plan. That in and of itself is a financial/emotional boost to Annie. I think both of our moms had dreams at one time of "passing something along" to kids and grandkids. But in neither case do their kids need anything, they have mostly done better than their parents financially over the long haul.

When we talked to financial advisors it became obvious pretty quickly that there were two strategies to follow. If you have enough money in the bank that your passive income from investments will pay for everything day to day and you will never touch most of your retirement money, you should make a plan for how to disperse the money after your death. In these scenarios there could be more money sitting in a trust at death than when you retired. If you will be dipping into your retirement cash for living expenses, make plans for how to make that money last long as possible because you will probably outlive your money.

That is the deepening divide.

There is a third option of course. Annie is looking to build Sarco Pods out in the Empire as her next business venture. You can choose not to outlive your money. But you can be sure the rubepublicans will want to take that choice away from you because they believe in the sanctity of dying money.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:17 am https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/01/economy/ ... index.html

"Many millennials are currently grasping in frustration at long-held American Dreams like homeownership, a steady job and an affordable cost of living. However, over the next twenty years, Millennials are poised to inherit some $90 trillion of assets and become the richest generation in history – but only the ones who already come from affluent families, potentially deepening wealth inequality further.

Between now and 2044 in the US, the Silent Generation and Baby Boomers are expected to hand over the reins of their significant wealth to Millennials, according to The Wealth Report, a periodic report from global property consultant Knight Frank.

But whether you’re a Millennial on the receiving end of that wealth transfer is largely a lottery of birth."

But tell me again how there is no such thing as "white privilege" as families who have been able to buy and pass land and assets from generation to generation for more than two centuries continue to get a leg up.
What weird framing.

I understand the polite nods in this direction, but: saying that "Millennials are poised to inherit some $90 trillion of assets and become the richest generation in history" is a little like saying "Americans born in the 1930s are poised to set foot on the Moon."
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I suppose “sitting on your brain waiting for someone else to give you money” is a strategy. I prefer working hard and making my own though. Less risky.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:18 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:17 am https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/01/economy/ ... index.html

What weird framing.

I understand the polite nods in this direction, but: saying that "Millennials are poised to inherit some $90 trillion of assets and become the richest generation in history" is a little like saying "Americans born in the 1930s are poised to set foot on the Moon."
I treated it this way... there's a pretty significant different between how people who were born around WW2 use their money and how millennials use their money. I think all that wealth being out of the hands of people whose parents went through the Great Depression and handing it over to people whose parents went through the Woodstock Era and then to people whose parents went through the Reagan era is going to result in a pretty significant change in how money is saved, invested and spent.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Pretty sure “millennials are poised to become the richest generation in history” mean boomers ARE the richest generation in history, by a margin.

Pretty sure my boomer dad enjoyed a successful enough career to have accumulated a nice nest egg. I dunno for sure tho, he’s completely opaque about wealth, and ideologically against “handouts,” even to his own kids.

That’s why I believe him when he jokingly-but-maybe-not-jokingly says he wishes for his cash to be buried with him.

As for my own retirement, then, well I plan to never retire. Just work til I drop dead. I think we’ll be collectively tits deep in some sort of climate wars before the vast majority of millennials ever get a chance to just move to Florida and play golf, or some other something that resembles the construct of “retirement.”

Either that, or finally realize Qusdahl’s systemic revolution the world so desperately needs but will prob never get.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:36 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:18 am

What weird framing.

I treated it this way... there's a pretty significant different between how people who were born around WW2 use their money and how millennials use their money. I think all that wealth being out of the hands of people whose parents went through the Great Depression and handing it over to people whose parents went through the Woodstock Era and then to people whose parents went through the Reagan era is going to result in a pretty significant change in how money is saved, invested and spent.
Absolutely.

And that's before you get into how, for a great number of factors,* it simply is more challenging for someone presently in their 20s to get to Cleaver-esque financial stability by their mid-30s or even beyond, than it was for people presently in their 50s and beyond.

* Non-exclusively...explosive higher-ed costs; unpaid internships; carried interest loophole; weakening of the estate tax; credit reporting principles; gentrification; healthcare costs and debt.

I'm not here to categorically defend Millennials per se; in my professional experience, I have seen an ENORMOUS change for the worse in work ethic and willingness to put in time at the bottom rungs of the ladder.

But, I do not have tolerance for people who derisively say things like "I put myself through college [in the 1980s], why are these youths asking for loan forgiveness," or "By the time I was 33, I owned a house in the suburbs and had two kids in elementary school."