Charges

Ugh.
japhy
Contributor

Re: Charges

Post by japhy »

Sooooo Muuuch Wiiiining.....
Donald Trump has paid $392,000 to The New York Times to cover the legal costs from his failed lawsuit against the newspaper and its journalists over a 2018 investigation into his finances that included confidential tax records, a spokesman for the Times told CNN on Monday.

Trump was ordered to pay the money in January, more than eight months after Judge Robert R. Reed granted the Times’ motion to dismiss the case against it and its journalists, concluding the journalists’ conduct was protected by the New York Constitution.

Among the claims that Trump brought against the Times was the accusation that the journalists were liable for “tortious interference” in how they allegedly sought out his niece and caused her to allegedly breach a 2001 settlement contract with the Trump family, CNN previously reported.

The reporting series, authored by David Barstow, Susanne Craig and Russ Buettner, went on to win the 2019 Pulitzer Prize in Explanatory Reporting.

Last year, the judge said he was dismissing the claim against the Times “because The Times’ purpose in reporting on a story of a high public interest constitutes justification as a matter of law.”

The judge pointed to recent amendments made to New York’s so-called anti-SLAPP law — which provides a mechanism for defendants to seek quick dismissal of lawsuits that target conduct protected by the First Amendment — in explaining why he was ordering the dismissal of the defendants and the payment of their attorneys’ fees.

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

So - Trump is admitting that he does not have cash on hand to cover even 1/4 of the amount owed NY on the fraud judgment alone.

Will the Rs care if Trump picks up the balance from V. Putin? Sorry, that's too specific. Maybe Vlad P.?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Only if they get a taste too
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

So there aren't any third party bond insurers out there willing to trust trumpty dumpty to make good on a $454M debt if he loses this?

What do they think he is going to do, stiff them?

He is a billionaire and this is just a drop in his bucket and he is a man of his word and a hugely successful...reality TV show host; he will swear on a Bible if asked I'm sure.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I smell RV-guy fuckery all over the Court's taking up of the immunity claim, in late April, with things remaining stayed until then.

Clearly the next domino is that fuckery-adjacent Cannon will indefinitely stay the docs case. And of course the fuckery is FULLY on in Georgia.

Makes the stakes for November crystal clear, for sure.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:49 pm I smell RV-guy fuckery all over the Court's taking up of the immunity claim, in late April, with things remaining stayed until then.

Clearly the next domino is that fuckery-adjacent Cannon will indefinitely stay the docs case. And of course the fuckery is FULLY on in Georgia.

Thanks, Merrick. So ____ing concerned about appearing partisan, afraid that you would seem to have made a political decision to pursue charges against the guy who attempted to overthrow American democracy, i.e., a coup, that instead, you made the political decision not to get off your ass and do anything about it until the evidence, thanks to the Jan 6 House Special Committee not the DOJ, had been crammed down your Lilly-livered throat.

And now, here we are, unlikely to have a decision about Trump's "immunity" fever dreams before the eelection, and allowing Judge Cannon in FL to delay your obstruction case even longer.

smfh

"The next generation is going to have to contend with the fact that we lost every important fight to amoral morons because we insisted on being polite while they cheated."
Michael Green
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:34 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:49 pm I smell RV-guy fuckery all over the Court's taking up of the immunity claim, in late April, with things remaining stayed until then.

Thanks, Merrick. So ____ing concerned about appearing partisan, afraid that you would seem to have made a political decision to pursue charges against the guy who attempted to overthrow American democracy, i.e., a coup, that instead, you made the political decision not to get off your ass and do anything about it until the evidence, thanks to the Jan 6 House Special Committee not the DOJ, had been crammed down your Lilly-livered throat.

And now, here we are, unlikely to have a decision about Trump's "immunity" fever dreams before the eelection, and allowing Judge Cannon in FL to delay your obstruction case even longer.

smfh

"The next generation is going to have to contend with the fact that we lost every important fight to amoral morons because we insisted on being polite while they cheated."
Michael Green
I don’t have a big problem with Garland’s pacing on the Trump stuff - which means I stand in contrast to most anti-Trump observers.

The big problem I DO have with Garland’s approach here is the slow- (or non-) walking of investigations into and indictments of elected officials who are clearly within the zone of conspiracy.

What will matter the most in 10, 25, 100 years is not necessarily who went to prison and for how long, but whether or not we created a true, correct and complete record of what the fuck happened. And that is damaged - perhaps materially, perhaps fatally even - if we leave these particular stones unturned.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Garland is as gutless as Obama in many ways. Obama let the senate steal his SC nominee. But the common denominator is the same
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

japhy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:39 pm So there aren't any third party bond insurers out there willing to trust trumpty dumpty to make good on a $454M debt if he loses this?

What do they think he is going to do, stiff them?

He is a billionaire and this is just a drop in his bucket and he is a man of his word and a hugely successful...reality TV show host; he will swear on a Bible if asked I'm sure.
Only if it's upside down
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Edited to add: This is an incredible interview. It gets better as it goes. We need more Americans like this guy.

Don't worry Donny, I'm sure Judge Aileen Cannon will do what she can to enable your fascist cause, and delay...justice.......denied.

This guy has worked for Trump since he was 19, ~ 20 years. He was there, and knows a lot.

Refreshingly frank, and brave.

A longtime Mar-a-Lago employee who is a central witness in the investigation into former President Donald Trump's handling of classified documents is now speaking publicly because he believes that voters should hear the truth about his former boss and the case before the November election.

Trump Employee 5,’ who unknowingly helped move classified documents, speaks to CNN
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:29 pm Edited to add: This is an incredible interview. It gets better as it goes. We need more Americans like this guy.

Don't worry Donny, I'm sure Judge Aileen Cannon will do what she can to enable your fascist cause, and delay...justice.......denied.

This guy has worked for Trump since he was 19, ~ 20 years. He was there, and knows a lot.

A longtime Mar-a-Lago employee who is a central witness in the investigation into former President Donald Trump's handling of classified documents is now speaking publicly because he believes that voters should hear the truth about his former boss and the case before the November election.

Trump Employee 5,’ who unknowingly helped move classified documents, speaks to CNN
Not a lot of people in the Trump circle that seem to just speak the truth about what they saw, heard, said and did. Who knows if he is conveniently leaving anything out but he didn't appear to be deceptive in answering the questioned asked of him in that interview.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:19 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:29 pm Edited to add: This is an incredible interview. It gets better as it goes. We need more Americans like this guy.

Not a lot of people in the Trump circle that seem to just speak the truth about what they saw, heard, said and did. Who knows if he is conveniently leaving anything out but he didn't appear to be deceptive in answering the questioned asked of him in that interview.
He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would risk lying to federal prosecutors. Unlike former Trump CFO Allen Weisselberg, who lied under oath twice, and who I think is going back to Rikers Island for another 5 months.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I do wonder if the NJ nexus to this information will cause Smith to open that backdoor. But I am concerned that what we're seeing is this guy taking measures into his own hands because he perceives that things are stuck with Cannon.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:00 am I do wonder if the NJ nexus to this information will cause Smith to open that backdoor. But I am concerned that what we're seeing is this guy taking measures into his own hands because he perceives that things are stuck with Cannon.
I agree. Once he heard that the judge was releasing his testimony before the grand jury to the defense, he wanted to get ahead of the impending blowback and character assassination, and tell the story first, himself. Not to mention because he also thinks people should know before the election. He seems peeved that Trump refuses to take any responsibility for anything.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:40 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:00 am I do wonder if the NJ nexus to this information will cause Smith to open that backdoor. But I am concerned that what we're seeing is this guy taking measures into his own hands because he perceives that things are stuck with Cannon.
I agree. Once he heard that the judge was releasing his testimony before the grand jury to the defense, he wanted to get ahead of the impending blowback and character assassination, and tell the story first, himself. Not to mention because he also thinks people should know before the election. He seems peeved that Trump refuses to take any responsibility for anything.
Well sure, because there is a long, long track record now of MAGA making life hell for links in the crimey chain.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:05 am
Shirley wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:40 pm
Well sure, because there is a long, long track record now of MAGA making life hell for links in the crimey chain.
I don't know about the timeline, but who could blame Smith for filing charges in New Jersey to try and get around Trump's enabler Cannon in Florida?

It's undeniable that this newest revelation is only the latest in a series of revelations indicting our "justice system". The evidence couldn't be more clear, but whether it's Cannon doing what she can to slow walk the case off into the future/oblivion, Trump's enablers on the SCOTUS need to weigh in on whether or not he can be held responsible for...anything, possibly even for trying to overthrow the government, or if his immunity is a blank check to Stay Our of Jail Forever card.
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i don’t know why charges weren’t filed in NJ from the get-go
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:08 am i don’t know why charges weren’t filed in NJ from the get-go
As I recall, technically he could have, but since the obstruction really started/happened in Florida, it would have been a stretch and would reflect poorly on the DOJ if Smith were to appear to be judge/jury shopping...

And after all, isn't it really all about appearances...?
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:14 am
KUTradition wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:08 am i don’t know why charges weren’t filed in NJ from the get-go
As I recall, technically he could have, but since the obstruction really started/happened in Florida, it would have been a stretch and would reflect poorly on the DOJ if Smith were to appear to be judge/jury shopping...

And after all, isn't it really all about appearances...?
i thought charges were warranted wherever alleged crimes occurred. at the time, i thought it was shortsighted to ONLY file in florida, and not everywhere alleged crimes occurred…but i fully admit my ignorance when it comes to such things
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.