Charges

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Charges

Post by KUTradition »

“Deranged ‘Special’ Counsel Jack Smith, who has a long record of failure as a prosecutor, including a unanimous decision against him in the U.S. Supreme Court, should be sanctioned or censured for the way he is attacking a highly respected Judge, Aileen Cannon, who is presiding over his FAKE Documents Hoax case in Florida,” Trump wrote on Truth Social Thursday morning.

“He is a lowlife who is nasty, rude, and condescending, and obviously trying to ‘play the ref,’” Trump claimed. “He shouldn’t even be allowed to participate in this sham case, where I, unlike Crooked Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, and all the rest, come under the Presidential Records Act. I DID NOTHING WRONG, BUT BIDEN DID, AND THEY LET HIM OFF SCOT-FREE. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN, JACK? A TWO TIERED SYSTEM OF JUSTICE. ELECTION INTERFERENCE!”

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:41 am “Deranged ‘Special’ Counsel Jack Smith, who has a long record of failure as a prosecutor, including a unanimous decision against him in the U.S. Supreme Court, should be sanctioned or censured for the way he is attacking a highly respected Judge, Aileen Cannon, who is presiding over his FAKE Documents Hoax case in Florida,” Trump wrote on Truth Social Thursday morning.

“He is a lowlife who is nasty, rude, and condescending, and obviously trying to ‘play the ref,’” Trump claimed. “He shouldn’t even be allowed to participate in this sham case, where I, unlike Crooked Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, and all the rest, come under the Presidential Records Act. I DID NOTHING WRONG, BUT BIDEN DID, AND THEY LET HIM OFF SCOT-FREE. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN, JACK? A TWO TIERED SYSTEM OF JUSTICE. ELECTION INTERFERENCE!”

Among other things, what's especially breathtaking is that all this sort of diaper-filling exercise does is underscore just how right Trump is about there being a two-tiered system of justice.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:14 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:41 am “Deranged ‘Special’ Counsel Jack Smith, who has a long record of failure as a prosecutor, including a unanimous decision against him in the U.S. Supreme Court, should be sanctioned or censured for the way he is attacking a highly respected Judge, Aileen Cannon, who is presiding over his FAKE Documents Hoax case in Florida,” Trump wrote on Truth Social Thursday morning.

Among other things, what's especially breathtaking is that all this sort of diaper-filling exercise does is underscore just how right Trump is about there being a two-tiered system of justice.
Trump has gotten an insanely gentle, accommodating justice system to his benefit.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Trump has filed an astounding 4,010 lawsuits. He has always worked the system by terrifying parts of it. He should have been slapped down years before ruining our lives.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:18 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:14 pm

Trump has gotten an insanely gentle, accommodating justice system to his benefit.
There is not a single person who has been indicted on charges anything like the documents charges who hasn't been locked up, pending trial, as a grave threat to national security.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:26 pm Trump has filed an astounding 4,010 lawsuits. He has always worked the system by terrifying parts of it. He should have been slapped down years before ruining our lives.
To wit.
“The Nation is witnessing the determined delegitimization of both its Federal and State judiciaries and the systematic dismantling of its system of justice and Rule of Law by a single man — the former President of the United States,” retired [conservative] judge J. Michael Luttig said on X concerning Trump’s threats and insults directed at the courts. “Ultimately, however, it is the responsibility of the entire nation to protect its courts and judges, its Constitution, its Rule of Law, and America’s Democracy from vicious attack, threat, undermine, and deliberate delegitimization at the hands of anyone so determined.” In other words, judges must clamp down on unacceptable conduct, and it is the voters’ responsibility to not to hand him a get-out-of-jail-free card by electing him to office.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... undermine/
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it is especially important, at least in my mind, to uphold our institutions in the face of threats of violence
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:19 pm it is especially important, at least in my mind, to uphold our institutions in the face of threats of violence
Yes.

It is not an academic or theoretical point: letting threats of political violence, or the prospect of political violence, affect the treatment and resolution of a matter is the erosion of the rule of law. It is the advancement of autocracy.

There will not be a singular moment when the then-lighted sign DEMOCRACY goes dark, and the then-unlit sign AUTOCRACY is switched on. That happens in a series of boring and technical and minor things.

Democracy gets bit to death by a duck.

The milquetoast notion of 14A-3 taking a back seat to the "will of the people" is, sadly, a good example.

Our predecessor citizens, through their elected representatives at the state level, solved quite clearly how to confront the problem of an insurrectionist oathbreaker holding enough sway over enough people to be a plausible candidate for reelection. An insurrectionist oathbreaker is no more eligible to hold the office of the President than is a 34 year old or a person born in Kenya.

To suggest that the popular will should substitute for the supreme law of the land IS to erode the rule of law, and IS to permit the advance of autocracy.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sparko wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:26 pm Trump has filed an astounding 4,010 lawsuits. He has always worked the system by terrifying parts of it. He should have been slapped down years before ruining our lives.
he is indeed a terrible terrible human, a criminal, a creep, a security threat, and in no way should be able to have the control of the presidency. He has undoubtedly ruined lives, many lives. But to say all of our lives is allowing him more credit than is due and feeds into the myth and the nonsense surrounding the current state of politics and I would argue gives him and people like him more power.

Can you specifically point to something he has done thay has ruined your life?
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

the last decade has significantly eroded my "We shall overcome" outlook on life and paet of that change in my thought process is attributing to much authority and power to a little bitch of a person. the mindset he has unlocked in his followers is scary, the amount of power he wields in the minds of his detractors is also concerning. One person, he is one person. A terrible person, but just 1. The rest of his nonsense is propped up on the backs of bullshit. The bucket full of holes is allowed to carry water because we, the collective we, allow it to continue.
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:38 pm the last decade has significantly eroded my "We shall overcome" outlook on life and paet of that change in my thought process is attributing to much authority and power to a little bitch of a person. the mindset he has unlocked in his followers is scary, the amount of power he wields in the minds of his detractors is also concerning. One person, he is one person. A terrible person, but just 1. The rest of his nonsense is propped up on the backs of bullshit. The bucket full of holes is allowed to carry water because we, the collective we, allow it to continue.
Great post
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:38 pm the last decade has significantly eroded my "We shall overcome" outlook on life and paet of that change in my thought process is attributing to much authority and power to a little bitch of a person. the mindset he has unlocked in his followers is scary, the amount of power he wields in the minds of his detractors is also concerning. One person, he is one person. A terrible person, but just 1. The rest of his nonsense is propped up on the backs of bullshit. The bucket full of holes is allowed to carry water because we, the collective we, allow it to continue.
The last decade has significantly eroded my hope that we'll even be here in, I don't know, 300 years. Feels like this particular phase of civilization is the great filter, through which we will not pass.
Those who subscribe to [the belief that we haven't seen aliens because there are no meaningfully-more-advanced civilizations in the universe] point to something called the non-exclusivity problem, which rebuffs any theory that says, “There are higher civilizations, but none of them have made any kind of contact with us because they all _____.” [These] people look at the math, which says there should be so many thousands (or millions) of higher civilizations, that at least one of them would be an exception to the rule. Even if a theory held for 99.99% of higher civilizations, the other .01% would behave differently and we’d become aware of their existence.

Therefore, say [this group's] explanations, it must be that there are no super-advanced civilizations. And since the math suggests that there are thousands of them just in our own galaxy, something else must be going on.

This something else is called The Great Filter.

The Great Filter theory says that at some point from pre-life to [signifiantly-more-advanced-than-us] intelligence, there’s a wall that all or nearly all attempts at life hit. There’s some stage in that long evolutionary process that is extremely unlikely or impossible for life to get beyond. That stage is The Great Filter.

If this theory is true, the big question is, Where in the timeline does the Great Filter occur?

It turns out that when it comes to the fate of humankind, this question is very important. Depending on where The Great Filter occurs, we’re left with three possible realities: We’re rare, we’re first, or we’re fucked.
https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Fish answered the question. And if you don't think Trump has ruined your life, think of his despoiling the environment. His COVID response. The empowerment of Putin, which is still spiraling out of control. Undermining the rule of law. Bolstering Bibi. Destroying the border areas. Jailing kids. The Supreme Court. Loosing fascism on us. Basically Antichrist territory.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:06 pm Fish answered the question. And if you don't think Trump has ruined your life, think of his despoiling the environment. His COVID response. The empowerment of Putin, which is still spiraling out of control. Undermining the rule of law. Bolstering Bibi. Destroying the border areas. Jailing kids. The Supreme Court. Loosing fascism on us. Basically Antichrist territory.
An antichrist from whom thousands - tens of thousands? hundreds? - of Christians will buy bibles.

Bibles that include government documents, being bought by thousands - tens of thousands? hundreds? - of people who at some time in their life were probably very much in favor of separation of church and state.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:56 pm
The last decade has significantly eroded my hope that we'll even be here in, I don't know, 300 years. Feels like this particular phase of civilization is the great filter, through which we will not pass.
Those who subscribe to [the belief that we haven't seen aliens because there are no meaningfully-more-advanced civilizations in the universe] point to something called the non-exclusivity problem, which rebuffs any theory that says, “There are higher civilizations, but none of them have made any kind of contact with us because they all _____.” [These] people look at the math, which says there should be so many thousands (or millions) of higher civilizations, that at least one of them would be an exception to the rule. Even if a theory held for 99.99% of higher civilizations, the other .01% would behave differently and we’d become aware of their existence.

Therefore, say [this group's] explanations, it must be that there are no super-advanced civilizations. And since the math suggests that there are thousands of them just in our own galaxy, something else must be going on.

The Great Filter theory says that at some point from pre-life to [signifiantly-more-advanced-than-us] intelligence, there’s a wall that all or nearly all attempts at life hit. There’s some stage in that long evolutionary process that is extremely unlikely or impossible for life to get beyond. That stage is The Great Filter.

If this theory is true, the big question is, Where in the timeline does the Great Filter occur?

It turns out that when it comes to the fate of humankind, this question is very important. Depending on where The Great Filter occurs, we’re left with three possible realities: We’re rare, we’re first, or we’re fucked.
love it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:33 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:56 pm

love it
I read that, top to bottom, at least once a year.

My favorite part is this:
If we’re neither rare nor early, Group 1 thinkers conclude that The Great Filter must be in our future. This would suggest that life regularly evolves to where we are, but that something prevents life from going much further and reaching high intelligence in almost all cases—and we’re unlikely to be an exception.

One possible future Great Filter is a regularly-occurring cataclysmic natural event, like the above-mentioned gamma-ray bursts, except they’re unfortunately not done yet and it’s just a matter of time before all life on Earth is suddenly wiped out by one. Another candidate is the possible inevitability that nearly all intelligent civilizations end up destroying themselves once a certain level of technology is reached.

This is why Oxford University philosopher Nick Bostrom says that “no news is good news.” The discovery of even simple life on Mars would be devastating, because it would cut out a number of potential Great Filters behind us. And if we were to find fossilized complex life on Mars, Bostrom says “it would be by far the worst news ever printed on a newspaper cover,” because it would mean The Great Filter is almost definitely ahead of us—ultimately dooming the species. Bostrom believes that when it comes to The Fermi Paradox, “the silence of the night sky is golden.”
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Trump has already pardoned dozens of people who shared the vision of destroying our democracy….of working with stated enemies of the US.

He has told us that he intends to pardon hundreds more who FOUGHT our institutions with the intention of bypassing our free and fair elections.

He has told us AND demonstrated to us all that he trusts foreign dictators more than he trusts our own government.

He does this all, right in front of our eyes, and has not endured one ounce of discomfort.

If this country elects this piece of shit a SECOND time, then this country deserves what it gets.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it’s really quite astonishing, the more i think about it, that there are so many who are so displeased with their lives, that they’ve been convinced he’s the answer
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:43 pm it’s really quite astonishing, the more i think about it, that there are so many who are so displeased with their lives, that they’ve been convinced he’s the answer
And he has convinced everyone of them that he:

Is wealthy beyond imagination

Is a successful businessman

Is intelligent

Is benevolent

Is trustworthy

Gives a single fuck about any one of them
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:51 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:43 pm it’s really quite astonishing, the more i think about it, that there are so many who are so displeased with their lives, that they’ve been convinced he’s the answer
And he has convinced everyone of them that he:

Is wealthy beyond imagination

Is a successful businessman

Is intelligent

Is benevolent

Is trustworthy

Gives a single fuck about any one of them
What’s scary is how many people no longer believe these things (if they ever did at all), and for whom the juice is STILL worth the squeeze.