Jayhawks making $$$

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Jayhawks making $$$

Post by pdub »

I think that the people who follow Scott Chasen aren’t your average college fan. Or even necessarily your die hard ( just because they are on Twitter and respond to a poll ). Younger KU fans who likely jumped aboard around/after the 08 title and whose school is now facing a NCAA punishment for likely being associated with paying players. So there's a decent chance they have a different mindset than say, a fan from St. Bonaventure.

I also agree that your average younger college fan ( 25 and under ) won’t care much as long as their team keeps winning. This version of college basketball ( last 10 years ) is all they’ve seen.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:44 am I think that the people who follow Scott Chasen aren’t your average college fan. Or even necessarily your die hard ( just because they are on Twitter and respond to a poll ).

I also agree that your average younger college fan ( 25 and under ) won’t care much as long as their team keeps winning. This version of college basketball ( last 10 years ) is all they’ve seen.
I suppose we could fight over what "die hard" means, but I think that, however you define it, die hards are significantly overrepresented among Scott Chasen's Twitter followers. And if the die hards don't care...it's silly to think "average" fans (whatever that means) would care more.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Younger KU fans who likely jumped aboard around/after the 08 title and whose school is now facing a NCAA punishment for likely being associated with paying players."

Check the handles of the people who follow him and who are commenting on his posts and/or his profile which mentions the things he tweets about.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

…right. So, his followers skew young, and skew die hard. I think it’s fair to say his followers, then, are pretty decent weather vanes for where the sport is headed.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"...where the sport is headed."

Sure - money always wins.
I just don't think your comment 'vast majority of fans' applies.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:52 am "...where the sport is headed."

...it doesn't seem logical that a group that is broader than Scott Chasen's Twitter followers could possibly be expected care more about NIL than Chasen's followers.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Younger KU fans who likely jumped aboard around/after the 08 title and whose school is now facing a NCAA punishment for likely being associated with paying players."
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:38 am

...it doesn't seem logical that a group that is broader than Scott Chasen's Twitter followers could possibly be expected care more about NIL than Chasen's followers.
I think it's logical to conclude a relevant % of those adamantly against NIL don't use Twitter.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:44 am

I think it's logical to conclude a relevant % of those adamantly against NIL don't use Twitter.
Yes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm sure that's the case. But that's also not the point.

The point is that, in the big picture, whatever percentage of college basketball fans are "adamantly against NIL," that percentage is not really relevant to the future of the sport.

NIL isn't perfect. Opening things up even more, while 100% the fairest thing to do, would be even more disruptive.

But this absolutely is the direction of things, so the smart play is to be proactive, not reactive.
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:24 am

The point is that, in the big picture, whatever percentage of college basketball fans are "adamantly against NIL," that percentage is not really relevant to the future of the sport.
I agree...but not necessarily irrelevant because of size...more so because it's not going away. So they will have to adapt or they will find a different sport to watch for entertainment.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:25 am

I agree...but not necessarily irrelevant because of size...more so because it's not going away. So they will have to adapt or they will find a different sport to watch for entertainment.
Yes.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:25 am

Irrelevant in size too:

https://twitter.com/DNeckel19/status/15 ... _jej8HYb2w
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's March Madness.
BWW Chad's eat that up like Medium Wings - ESPECIALLY with a brand like UNC or Duke.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:44 am It's March Madness.
BWW Chad's eat that up like Medium Wings - ESPECIALLY with a brand like UNC or Duke.
But that's the point, right? As much as it's not to me, college basketball is a niche sport. Casuals tune in for March. March is also where most of the money is.

The viewership numbers excerpted above say that casuals have loved college basketball in the last couple years, to the tune of outdrawing the big boys.

I have no idea what percentage of college basketball fans would self-identify as "adamantly opposed to NIL." I am certain that that percentage is, in the big picture, not all that relevant to the direction and future of the sport.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

lol, too good.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"But that's the point, right?"

For you and your boi here, it is, yes.
More eyeballs, more money, more flashing gifs.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:00 am lol, too good.
It’s almost as sad as being owned by a piece of cloth.
Deleted User 863

If Cam gets a Tahoe, what do you think Jalen got?

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CgdfFz3AR5 ... MyMTA2M2Y=