Jayhawks making $$$

Kansas Basketball.
Cascadia

Re: Jayhawks making $$$

Post by Cascadia »

TDub wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:40 pm So. Besides family and friends....who's buying a player specific t shirt or sweatshirt? I love KU....i cant think of s single player I wouls be like....yep, thats the name I want to wear on my chest.
Girls aged 14 to 24
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:19 am
TDub wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:40 pm So. Besides family and friends....who's buying a player specific t shirt or sweatshirt? I love KU....i cant think of s single player I wouls be like....yep, thats the name I want to wear on my chest.
Girls aged 14 to 24
Not the point you’re making, but it’s sort of wild how the real moneymakers here appear to be female athletes. And good for them.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:43 am
Cascadia wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:19 am
Girls aged 14 to 24
Not the point you’re making, but it’s sort of wild how the real moneymakers here appear to be female athletes. And good for them.
Totally agree. Attractive female athletes are about to rake in the money. Which really just shows you how creepy and pathetic a lot of men are.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

So isn't this going to turn into a situation where players end up going to the school who will offer/promise more NIL opportunities? Might as well just let the schools pay the players themselves...either way, this is leading down a pretty bumpy path.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:45 pm So isn't this going to turn into a situation where players end up going to the school who will offer/promise more NIL opportunities? Might as well just let the schools pay the players themselves...either way, this is leading down a pretty bumpy path.

I think I've heard someone here mention something similar.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I've heard someone talk about that before as well.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Hasn't this been known for years?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

So "friends of the program" pay companies to use players' NILs instead of having to be sneaky. Ok.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Adidas needs to put a lot of KU dudes in shoe/apparel ads.
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:39 pm Adidas needs to put a lot of KU dudes in shoe/apparel ads.
Serious question. Will more kids prefer to go to a Nike school over an Adidas school if they care about profiting from the apparel company that outfits their school?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

NotGutterGutter wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:49 am
InfiniteJ wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:39 pm Adidas needs to put a lot of KU dudes in shoe/apparel ads.
Serious question. Will more kids prefer to go to a Nike school over an Adidas school if they care about profiting from the apparel company that outfits their school?
Don't they already?

Quick glance of some recent top 30 lists has a lot of nike schools recruits.

But tbh, i think nike and adidas will be offering similar amounts (like they have been doing).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This whole "it's been this way for years" thing isn't as credible as many of you make it out to be.

Some of you come across as if you know that every top 50 player in the last 20 years was paid under the table to attend a college when really you have only a couple dozen or so clear cases of this happening.

I dont think dudes like DMac are getting the bank roll some of you are imagining in your heads.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:13 am This whole "it's been this way for years" thing isn't as credible as many of you make it out to be.

Some of you come across as if you know that every top 50 player in the last 20 years was paid under the table to attend a college when really you have only a couple dozen or so clear cases of this happening.

I dont think dudes like DMac are getting the bank roll some of you are imagining in your heads.
I am going to defer to Jay Bilas who claims it's been going on for decades back to when he was playing.

...but i agree with you, i don't think DMac is getting or got a bunch to come to KU....and i don't think most players will be getting all that much in NIL money. There haven't been widespread endorsement deals worth ridiculous money to go to whichever school. So far it's mostly been small stuff that i have seen.

...but what i was really saying was that Nike already gets more top recruits because there are more Nike schools. I don't think NIL changes that very much.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:13 am This whole "it's been this way for years" thing isn't as credible as many of you make it out to be.

They made Blue Chips 27 years ago! You think that was, like, written from scratch? Just invented out of whole cloth?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Your honor, we would like to direct the court to Blue Chips.
Deleted User 863

Are we in a court of law or are we being realistic discussing college hoops/sports?

I am good with the head in sand approach, but just want to double check...
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:58 am
NotGutterGutter wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:49 am
Don't they already?

Quick glance of some recent top 30 lists has a lot of nike schools recruits.

But tbh, i think nike and adidas will be offering similar amounts (like they have been doing).
aren’t there more nike schools though?

you can’t do a direct comparison if the numbers of schools under each aren’t comparable

edit: just saw your follow-up post
Last edited by Deleted User 89 on Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Read what I said before.
Some of you are coming across as if you know how many recruits are getting what and when and implying, "they are all already getting paid".

When more likely only the very top guys ( Blue Chips! ) are getting big money. And the argument would be to open the NBA and make the G League more lucrative so that the kids who are after the big money play in the appropriate place but that's looking moot.
Deleted User 863

Who decides which is the appropriate place to play?

What's big money? My guess is $5,000-$10,000 is big money to a lot of these kids and their families. Seems the typical amount is in that $5k-$20k range. Very few are getting Zion level impermissible benefits.

The NBA and G League aren't responsible for making sure NCAA programs follow the rules by adjusting their own rules. If colleges wanted to keep things how they were they should have followed the rules. Instead they didn't and created a culture of impermissible benefits provided by shoe companies /agents /boosters /etc.

The issues with college hoops are not the fault of the NBA imo.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also this narrative that most of these kids are sending this under the table college money back to their starving families is pretty bullshit.

And by appropriate place to play, that is based on my opinion of what college athletics should be.