Deleted User 89

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by Deleted User 89 »

a number of us have mentioned academics and AAU membership

it’s why the B1G seems so likely
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:51 pm a number of us have mentioned academics and AAU membership
Always feels like a secondary reason, when maybe it should be the main factor in what the next move is?

Or maybe as the world has evolved conferences aren't as needed for academics either? Now that it is easier to share information and such.
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:41 pm If they Big 12 wants to save itself they had better act quickly and aggressively. If not, the ship is sinking and Goff and Co. better be on the horn yesterday to make moves. The last thing you want to do is be on the outside looking in.
There is no going back at this point. To remain or fight to keep the Big12 is to resign yourself to being a mid-major sooner or later. This will not go away even if by some miracle OU and Texas changed their mind. KU needs to be in contact (I'm sure they are.........I hope) with the BIG and ACC and whoever is open, they need to jump no matter what happens.
Deleted User 89

so, which other conference is the best fit “culturally”?

i’d say:
B1G
Pac12
ACC
SEC
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yes.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

From the Phog courtesy of KansasCliff, https://247sports.com/college/kansas/bo ... M168110037

"That is what I am reading on other websites. I have not read through much of the Phog but general line of thinking across college sport's sites is:

1. OU and Texas did reach out to the SEC as a pair. It did not mean they were 100% wanting to go. Mostly looking at leverage.

2. OU and Texas are looking to get paid SEC type money---- but stay in the B12. How in the world does that happen you ask? By cutting the other eight. OU and Texas get $70 mill per year that comes off the top. The other eight share what is left over. ($20-some mill per school). You want to sit at he big boy table and call yourself a P5 school? That is going to be the price. The ask for this comes at a meeting this afternoon at 5:00 p.m..

3. Texas A&M is indeed doing everything they can to nix the deal. That is why they gave their beat reporter the scoop and he made the first report yesterday. Texas A&M likely to be looking at trouble including fines for doing so."

If this is true, which it verywell might not be, but if it is I hope KU is not stupid enough to entertain this. F em all, go find another conference.
Deleted User 89

2. OU and Texas are looking to get paid SEC type money---- but stay in the B12. How in the world does that happen you ask? By cutting the other eight. OU and Texas get $70 mill per year that comes off the top. The other eight share what is left over. ($20-some mill per school). You want to sit at he big boy table and call yourself a P5 school? That is going to be the price. The ask for this comes at a meeting this afternoon at 5:00 p.m.

if true, that takes some serious cajones by those two institutions, if indeed they really want to stay put

are they really twice as valuable as any other school in they conference?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:04 pm 2. OU and Texas are looking to get paid SEC type money---- but stay in the B12. How in the world does that happen you ask? By cutting the other eight. OU and Texas get $70 mill per year that comes off the top. The other eight share what is left over. ($20-some mill per school). You want to sit at he big boy table and call yourself a P5 school? That is going to be the price. The ask for this comes at a meeting this afternoon at 5:00 p.m.

if true, that takes some serious cajones by those two institutions, if indeed they really want to stay put

are they really twice as valuable as any other school in they conference?
Probably, yes? All that matters here is football.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

There’s Room In The Future For A Big Fat SEC And Not Much Else

https://defector.com/theres-room-in-the ... much-else/
Conference membership upheavals happen every now and then, usually when the big dogs notice one of two things: the bowl either doesn’t hold as much food, or there are too many puppies eating. It’s how the Big East basketball conference, one of the great philosophical confluences in the history of the sport, splintered into basketball schools and football schools. The football schools headed for the ACC to make that amalgamation into a Canada-to-Florida bloat-box, and since that moment, long-held associations became marriages of convenience, to be dissolved at the tap of a contactless ATM card.

Thus, the rumor that Texas and Oklahoma are looking to escape the Big XII, the fiefdom they largely dominate, to go to the already overstuffed SEC, a fiefdom run by Nick Saban’s mood on any given day, has folks seeing the writing smeared on the walls—that big attracts big, and if you have enough bigs, there aren’t enough smalls to matter any more.

In other words, the Big XII, which once actually had XII teams, will be back to VIII, and together they won’t have the clout of the two schools that left. Oklahoma State’s president is already up in arms, Texas A&M’s athletic director is already spoiling for a fight because it wants to be the only Texas school in the conference, and all the other petty resentments will be back in force before too much longer. “We’re all in this together” becomes “I’m sorry, but who is this ‘we’ of which you speak?”

It will mean, ultimately, that the slow-motion supercollider that smashes Texas and Oklahoma into Alabama and Georgia also flings the Iowa States and Oklahoma States and Kansas States out of their orbits and into a new and worrisome void without the rainmakers that made them nationally viable. In a new world in which the NCAA has finally surrendered the remaining powers it didn’t have over the conferences and schools while retaining the right to screw individual athletes on a whim, this is the obvious next step—for the bigger athletics departments to untether from their less moneyed brethren and sistren for the few real power centers in the industry, specifically the Big 10, SEC, and ACC. Maybe there will be a fourth gigantoconference formed, but we will soon see a college landscape with functionally less than half the current 130 FBS schools, and maybe as few as 40.

Gone to less lucrative and less noticed associations will be most of the schools with the same family surname of State, and yes, that will include States that currently feel safe, like Mississippi State or North Carolina State or Oregon State or that wackiest of States, the vaxless bastion that is Washington State. The new traditional rivals are wrapped in whatever color Bitcoin comes in, and if it means that USC and Oregon have to lead a new Big 10 Plus 10 with BYU and Minnesota and Kansas and whatever else is lying around, well, yesterday’s rivalries are today’s stretched-out bungee cords.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:49 pm We talk/think about this mainly in the terms of the 2 main sports, but football/basketball would survive just fine without conferences....isn't a big part of the value of conferences supposed to be academics? You know, the reason colleges/university exist in the first place.
What "value" are you referring to? The only academic benefit to members schools is in the perception and reputation that they are amongst other good academic programs. There is no actual, tangible academic benefit.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:41 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:49 pm We talk/think about this mainly in the terms of the 2 main sports, but football/basketball would survive just fine without conferences....isn't a big part of the value of conferences supposed to be academics? You know, the reason colleges/university exist in the first place.
What "value" are you referring to? The only academic benefit to members schools is in the perception and reputation that they are amongst other good academic programs. There is no actual, tangible academic benefit.
The B1G formed the Big 10 Academic Alliance. It includes the University of Chicago.

Tons of research collaboration, shared classes, seminars, etc. Tons of academic value.

Probably not true of the SEC, but it is for the B1G.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I suppose UT and OU have every right to make the asks they are asking. They certainly bring the most to the table. That being said I hope it back fires and those two ass clowns of schools end up in the SEC and consistently finish behind GA and Bama.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

But aren’t conferences for athletics different than academic? I don’t see why the 2 have to collide.

I would imagine they are the only ones that do that, to this extent at least. No need to make that the prioritizing reason when conferences are more about sports than collaborations in a science lab.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:07 pm I suppose UT and OU have every right to make the asks they are asking. They certainly bring the most to the table. That being said I hope it back fires and those two ass clowns of schools end up in the SEC and consistently finish behind GA and Bama.
Texas can kind of get over themselves. Their 7-5 seasons and 10 seeds in the NCAA tournaments are just worth all this shit. Fuck outta here.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:08 pm But aren’t conferences for athletics different than academic? I don’t see why the 2 have to collide.

I would imagine they are the only ones that do that, to this extent at least. No need to make that the prioritizing reason when conferences are more about sports than collaborations in a science lab.
I think it also matters in the Ivy League.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:09 pm
holidaysmore wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:07 pm I suppose UT and OU have every right to make the asks they are asking. They certainly bring the most to the table. That being said I hope it back fires and those two ass clowns of schools end up in the SEC and consistently finish behind GA and Bama.
Texas can kind of get over themselves. Their 7-5 seasons and 10 seeds in the NCAA tournaments are just worth all this shit. Fuck outta here.
This

And as good as OU is at football, I'm tired of them loosing by 50 every time they're in the playoff, What about the negative impact those blowout losses have on the conference?

And who knows how they'll do in hoops with Kruger retiring.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I mean literally. Texas' best record over the last 10 years was 10-3. Herman's 2nd year and better than Mack's last 3 years.

Over the last decade their average record is 7-5.

OU's worst record over last decade is 8-5. They're not even on same wave length as Texas. They are lightyears ahead. Comparable in basketball as well. Texas can get over themselves. OU was just unfortunate to play juggernauts. But guess what, you'll get that 5 out of your 8 conference games in the SEC. Good luck making the playoffs.

Fuck both of them.

LosCondorAzule
Contributor

Post by LosCondorAzule »

LVCHawk wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:56 pm From the Phog courtesy of KansasCliff, https://247sports.com/college/kansas/bo ... M168110037

"That is what I am reading on other websites. I have not read through much of the Phog but general line of thinking across college sport's sites is:

1. OU and Texas did reach out to the SEC as a pair. It did not mean they were 100% wanting to go. Mostly looking at leverage.

2. OU and Texas are looking to get paid SEC type money---- but stay in the B12. How in the world does that happen you ask? By cutting the other eight. OU and Texas get $70 mill per year that comes off the top. The other eight share what is left over. ($20-some mill per school). You want to sit at he big boy table and call yourself a P5 school? That is going to be the price. The ask for this comes at a meeting this afternoon at 5:00 p.m..

3. Texas A&M is indeed doing everything they can to nix the deal. That is why they gave their beat reporter the scoop and he made the first report yesterday. Texas A&M likely to be looking at trouble including fines for doing so."

If this is true, which it verywell might not be, but if it is I hope KU is not stupid enough to entertain this. F em all, go find another conference.
Hear Hear POTD!!
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:48 pm I mean literally. Texas' best record over the last 10 years was 10-3. Herman's 2nd year and better than Mack's last 3 years.

Over the last decade their average record is 7-5.

OU's worst record over last decade is 8-5. They're not even on same wave length as Texas. They are lightyears ahead. Comparable in basketball as well. Texas can get over themselves. OU was just unfortunate to play juggernauts. But guess what, you'll get that 5 out of your 8 conference games in the SEC. Good luck making the playoffs.

Fuck both of them.
Right, if they're so valuable, make up that money in ticket sales, donations, merchandise, etc. Don't take it away from other schools.

Seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy, we generate more revenue, therefore we're better, so we need more of what makes a program better which is revenue.

Also, aren't OU fans notoriously bad about travelling? So other schools don't even benefit from their away fans coming to games.