Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
edjayhawk

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by edjayhawk »

pdub wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:11 am I think the NCAA is done for sooner rather than later and OU and UT are trying to get into the super league -- the league that'll make the decisions on whatever semipro/pro thing we'll have in five years.
This!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I dont think the supreme court ruling and this are unrelated.

"we generate more revenue, therefore..."

College sports now all bout that money.
Most important thing.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:44 pm I dont think the supreme court ruling and this are unrelated.

"we generate more revenue, therefore..."

College sports now all bout that money.
Most important thing.
I would love to see a progression chart of how much money was generated on a year by year basis over the last 100 years.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Dennis has some good thoughts in other tweets and no National writer in on Big 12 more than him.

I think the Big 12 is toast.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Deleted User 863

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:28 pm Dennis has some good thoughts in other tweets and no National writer in on Big 12 more than him.

I think the Big 12 is toast.
He's fantastic...

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/statu ... 44547?s=20
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Don’t get me wrong. He can be a prick, but he’s well connected.

hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Freaking Texas. Pissed off Tom Osborne so bad he walks and once that happened it was righting on the wall. Let's start a conference network. Big 10 ACC SEC Pac 12 sure, Big 12 na we will have a Texas Longhorn Network.

The good news is we are not going to be 1-11 in football anymore. We can go at least 4-8 in the Mountain West conference.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

KU is 3rd most valuable department in Big 12 currently. Solely based on basketball. The other 3 conferences will go hard after them.

I think Big 12 dissolves by 2023. Random guess. Too much fire for this to last too long.

I think KU and oSu are the only safe programs. Other conferences will go after them. Iowa State and Baylor next in line. Everybody after that is panicking.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:30 am KU is 3rd most valuable department in Big 12 currently. Solely based on basketball. The other 3 conferences will go hard after them.

I think Big 12 dissolves by 2023. Random guess. Too much fire for this to last too long.

I think KU and oSu are the only safe programs. Other conferences will go after them. Iowa State and Baylor next in line. Everybody after that is panicking.
I was surprised to see that ranking as well.

I suspect what that reflects is that where every school shares equally in football TV money, basketball revenue and shoe company money (which is skewed way toward basketball) tilt things.
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:30 am KU is 3rd most valuable department in Big 12 currently. Solely based on basketball. The other 3 conferences will go hard after them.

I'm bias for sure, but to me the better play for the SEC is OU and KU. You gain 2 states you didn't have. You gain a national power in football and you get OU as well, jk. But then you also get a blueblood in basketball which idk, happens to have one of the other 4-5 bluebloods already. And you already have KU's biggest rival in the league. You'd improve both sports, but, as usual it is probably only football that matters. As a bonus, you don't have to deal with Texas.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

10 years ago PAC and ACC wanted KU. ACC had reservations because of location. PAC had a flight to Lawrence before deal fell through.

KU will be fine. A big conference will want them if this does indeed happen.

shindig

Post by shindig »

So if the Big12 collapses and we get an invite to join the B1G, I'm guessing the B1G would "demand" we upgrade our football stadium immediately or within a time period, say 5 years. What's the word on the Memorial Stadium upgrade? Isn't it around $250M? Getting an invite to the B1G would have to kick start this project fast I would think.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

I agree 100%. Everyone thinks this is about adding elite football teams to your conference. Guess what? After OU and Texas join the SEC, there are none of those left. So now what do you get? Better to grab a team like KU who has an elite national brand with the basketball team and fits the Big 10's academic mold. KU's basketball team out-earns the majority of Big 12 football teams when it comes to revenue. People don't want to hear that because football is supposed to drive realignment but that's a fallacy. This round of realignment is going to look way different because just loading up on football teams just can't happen.
Last edited by UnholyLivingDead on Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

LVCHawk wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:36 am

I'm bias for sure, but to me the better play for the SEC is OU and KU. You gain 2 states you didn't have. You gain a national power in football and you get OU as well, jk. But then you also get a blueblood in basketball which idk, happens to have one of the other 4-5 bluebloods already. And you already have KU's biggest rival in the league. You'd improve both sports, but, as usual it is probably only football that matters. As a bonus, you don't have to deal with Texas.
Please dont let us go to the SEC. Luckily I dont see that ever happening.
Just Ledoux it
shindig

Post by shindig »

KU and Lawrence just don't fit in the SEC. Lawrence is very liberal and not full of hillbillies like most of the SEC schools, especially Columbia :).
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

shindig wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:42 am So if the Big12 collapses and we get an invite to join the B1G, I'm guessing the B1G would "demand" we upgrade our football stadium immediately or within a time period, say 5 years. What's the word on the Memorial Stadium upgrade? Isn't it around $250M? Getting an invite to the B1G would have to kick start this project fast I would think.
I don't think they'll care THAT much. Northwestern and Indiana both have subpar football stadiums. Doesn't mean they won't ask, but maybe won't be a make or break deal.

The only question that's not really known, do the other conferences want to expand? You would think so to keep up with SEC. Lots of these conferences have new commissioners. Are they as aggressive? Time will tell..

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Have read the same from multiple people. They will likely announce by end of next week their intention to move.

KU HAS to move quickly. Been on the phone 2 days ago with ACC, BIG and Pac. The Big 12 can not survive by adding 2 AAC schools like Houston and UCF or whatever. Have to get to a different conference.

It's time.

Deleted User 863

LVCHawk wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:36 am

The big money in SEC is in football. Texas is more attractive to the SEC than KU and it's probably not even close.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.