Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
AlOerter
Contributor

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by AlOerter »

Makes winning a conference title right next to a national championship.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:21 pm so...the NBA, the NFL, the premier league?

You dont want college sports.
IT wAs InEViTABle THEreS NoTHINg yOU cOULd Do JuST aCCEpT iT youLL lOVe iT oR youRE OlD!
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

AlOerter wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:02 pm Makes winning a conference title right next to a national championship.

Fair point. Assuming I'm anything close to correct
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

It's all as fascinating AF
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ousdahl's roomie Beav either is giddy or pissed AF.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I know a few beaver fans

most are pissed, but jokingly excited that they now have a shot at a winning record.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... nt/674930/

The kickoff to the college-football season is a few weeks away, but fans are already seeing 2023’s biggest showdown—one that pits the long-term interests of schools and conferences against their own insatiable greed...
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

You guys are furious about the superconferences too. Is there a huge distinction, in your mind?

As for me, I’ve repeatedly said that the main thing I want out of this wave of change is for the number of games KU plays against high-level competition to be maximized, regardless of geography, while still maintaining a small set of historic rivalries. A system where KUBB (and other top programs) play more of their games against top 25 teams has always and will always sound like an upgrade to me.

Borrowing a different league/schedule structure has little to do with whether or not it’s “college sports.”
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ChicagoHawk wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:02 am

You guys are furious about the superconferences too. Is there a huge distinction, in your mind?

As for me, I’ve repeatedly said that the main thing I want out of this wave of change is for the number of games KU plays against high-level competition to be maximized, regardless of geography, while still maintaining a small set of historic rivalries. A system where KUBB (and other top programs) play more of their games against top 25 teams has always and will always sound like an upgrade to me.

Borrowing a different league/schedule structure has little to do with whether or not it’s “college sports.”
I like the things that have made college sports college sports over the last 125 years.

Regional conferences, traditional rivalries that have a centuries worth of historical relevance behind them. No free agency signing period, no shoe deals, I don't need the point guard selling cars, no million dollar off season signings. Student athletes that want to come to the school for more than the NIL money. Not having every aspect of the sport driven by TV contracts.

What you're asking for we already have and its the NBA and the NFL. I dont want that.
Just Ledoux it
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

pdub wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:29 pm IT wAs InEViTABle THEreS NoTHINg yOU cOULd Do JuST aCCEpT iT youLL lOVe iT oR youRE OlD!
I don’t think you need to love it or even accept it, whatever that means. But it’s pretty funny and bizarre how mad you guys get at the idea people might like some of the outcomes of these changes.
surly

Post by surly »

the ku/uofa basketball series will be an instant rivalry. it should be an annual home-and-home adding uu and byu football is a significant upgrade. the conference is now on sound footing with the four western additions. how people can be negative about this is beyond me. four pods make sense to protect rivalries, geography, demographics, finances, travel, etc.

ku, k-state, cu, isu
uofa, asu, uu, byu
txt, tcu, baylor, oSu
wvu, ucf, nati, uh

for football within pods, play one another each year. rotate between pods every three years. it's pretty simple and maintains rivalries which is important at least to the hateful 8.
Last edited by surly on Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

TDub wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:11 am I like the things that have made college sports college sports over the last 125 years.

Regional conferences, traditional rivalries that have a centuries worth of historical relevance behind them. No free agency signing period, no shoe deals, I don't need the point guard selling cars, no million dollar off season signings. Student athletes that want to come to the school for more than the NIL money. Not having every aspect of the sport driven by TV contracts.

What you're asking for we already have and its the NBA and the NFL. I dont want that.
Again, I think they should maintain some important historic rivalries, but I don’t care if KU plays Texas Tech every year because it’s “tradition” (for the past 25 years). I also don’t feel any great sense of loss because KU doesn’t play Nebraska anymore.

On the NIL and transfer stuff, I just think it’s better for the players to get paid for their labor and the value they create, and move freely. I don’t love every side effect of that system, but the principle that athletes capture some of the return on their value is more important than anything else to me. That system can definitely be improved, though I don’t think we’d agree about which direction improves it.

I do agree that TV deals have too much influence on the sport. They happen to be pushing conference structure in a direction I like currently, but I don’t like how captured the sport is by TV money generally. It creates all sorts of bad incentives and outcomes for the viewing experience and more. I’ve kind of just made my peace with the fact that there’s no viable alternative on the horizon.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:02 am
AlOerter wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:56 am Have to give Yormark some kudos here. Before he took Bowlsby's place, it was looking grim for preserving the Big 12. Bowlsby always seemed to be behind the curve. We were wondering where KU was going to land. Yormark got ahead of the curve and beat the Pac 12 for a TV contract and put them behind the eight-ball. Now, the Pac is sinking and the Big 12 is looking solid.
I agree. I would - like a lot of us - have preferred for things to stay the way they were when I was 11, forever.

But that wasn't happening.

And in three years' time, Yormark took the Big 12 from poached to poacher, and - geographically and in many other meaningful ways - positioned the Big 12 to be one of three or four (depending on what happens out east) survivors.

Until Yormark, the Big 12 was reactive. Yormark saw no benefit in that crap--the other leagues smell blood in the water. He was the right hire.

Kansas has thrived only when there isn't a murderer's row of Texas teams halting their chances to get better and recruit. I would have loved to have faced NW and Indiana, Minnesota, et al. But we were forced to play at a disadvantage weeks at a time with a smallish roster. So I celebrate a more open conference schedule. It favors us building a roster. K-State will have some trouble with more expanded options for recruiting--more competition for a small school. They had Snyder and a solid core at a lucky time to stay competitive through the round-robin era.
surly

Post by surly »

your k-state reference is odd given klieman is coming off a b12 championship and picked either first or second going into this season. he will win more championships than bill snyder. he will take the wizard's program to another level. better recruiting and a superior staff will be the primary reasons.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

surly wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:35 pm your k-state reference is odd given klieman is coming off a b12 championship and picked either first or second going into this season. he will win more championships than bill snyder. he will take the wizard's program to another level. better recruiting and a superior staff will be the primary reasons.
There are 15 better destinations in the same league.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

So Klieman > Snyder. Got it. Hooterville logic.
surly

Post by surly »

yet to be written. but yes, i expect coach klieman's record will surpass coach snyder's. and it won't be close judged by championships, nfl talent, and such. it will be a bit like self replacing roy, methinks.

klieman however did not have to turnaround a morbid program as bill did in relatively short order back then. i'm not sure anyone could have done what snyder did given k-state's circumstance in the late 80s. barry switzer said he was the coach of the century.

i remember when mas brought his #6 jayhawks to mhk and they got pistol whipped. that was pretty early in snyder's career and a turning point for mason.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1989/09/04/f ... pless-team
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ChicagoHawk wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:14 am
pdub wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:29 pm IT wAs InEViTABle THEreS NoTHINg yOU cOULd Do JuST aCCEpT iT youLL lOVe iT oR youRE OlD!
I don’t think you need to love it or even accept it, whatever that means. But it’s pretty funny and bizarre how mad you guys get at the idea people might like some of the outcomes of these changes.
I don't really have that much an issue if someone wants pro sports with a college sports halloween costume -- but it's more a problem for me, if we ( the people who don't like it ) complain, the crew that does like it saying stuff like, you're old, out of touch, get over it it was inevitable, you're racist.

I'm watching less and complaining more. Eventually i'll just keep watching less and complaining less. Hang on everyone.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Snyder family stadium will be bull-dozed and renamed the Klieman dome. Future super bowls will be played there. Alabama players will pee their jock straps when the name is mentioned.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"The old question of: How long would it take TV money to destroy college football? Maybe we're here," Dickert said. "We'll look back at college football in 20 years and say, 'What are we doing?'"

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... reventable