Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
Arjhawk

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by Arjhawk »

And the shot at the Apple+ deal being like selling candy bars.

I saw somewhere (wish I could attribute) that in the Pac-10 ASU's average road trip - playing all other 9 teams - was 919 miles (ish). In the Big 12+4 it would be like 1,140 if playing all teams, but if just WVU and UCF taken out - which is possible given divisions - it would be 990ish. Not that big a difference really.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

and obviously, it’s unlikely the west schools are going to be making a ton of trips to wv or fla
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

pdub wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:00 pm I don't really have that much an issue if someone wants pro sports with a college sports halloween costume -- but it's more a problem for me, if we ( the people who don't like it ) complain, the crew that does like it saying stuff like, you're old, out of touch, get over it it was inevitable, you're racist.

I'm watching less and complaining more. Eventually i'll just keep watching less and complaining less. Hang on everyone.
I don't think I've called you old or racist. Probably out of touch or curmudgeonly. I've certainly felt it was inevitable for a long time. You got me there.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

PDub: the seasons will be more entertaining, so I expect you will actually watch more. I am excited to break out of the SWC syndrome +OU.
surly

Post by surly »

Arjhawk wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:11 am And the shot at the Apple+ deal being like selling candy bars.

I saw somewhere (wish I could attribute) that in the Pac-10 ASU's average road trip - playing all other 9 teams - was 919 miles (ish). In the Big 12+4 it would be like 1,140 if playing all teams, but if just WVU and UCF taken out - which is possible given divisions - it would be 990ish. Not that big a difference really.
Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
Brett McMurphy
@Brett_McMurphy
Here’s the distances & air travel times for Arizona State in Big 12 compared w/Pac-12. Arizona’s would be similar & there’s not that much difference

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sparko wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:00 pm PDub: the seasons will be more entertaining, so I expect you will actually watch more. I am excited to break out of the SWC syndrome +OU.
I watched more football last year for sure -- but I think there's a good reason why.
I watched less basketball than I have in 15 or so years, skipping multiple games ( unheard of ).
Arjhawk

Post by Arjhawk »

Whoa!, my memory was almost spot on (from this morning). I'm taking a win!
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

InfiniteJ wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:42 am The more I read about Arizona State...the more I wish they would have been stranded along with Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, and Wazzu.

Kinda how I'm feeling, too. Seems pretty trailer-parky. I think we shoulda snatched one of the others, though.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I think they routinely rank pretty high on the hottest coeds lists.

that counts for something.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

yea I know the Pac decently well the last 25 years.

Arizona st is a trash school. But it sounds like the Zona board of regents wasn't liking the idea of splitting the schools and it may have been a necessity to get Zona. Considering the current situation it was probably the right move.
Just Ledoux it
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

ASU is a big time party school, always has been. I was a season ticket holder for football before the NFL moved into Phx. Great tailgate parties.
Arjhawk

Post by Arjhawk »

I think I read they actually were AAU now, so not as trashy as, say, the entire SEC. Oh, and they have The Library, so things are good.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

"It's really, really sad to see," said Erickson from his home in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. "The thing that upsets me the most, besides the conference falling apart, the reasons for it. You got all these presidents that talk about academics and talk about loyalty and the bottom line is they move because of one thing … money.

"It had nothing to do with education. It had nothing to do with players. It had nothing to do with the school. It had to do with money."

per espn
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
surly

Post by surly »

at some point this will rationalize itself because, for example, the b10 is just woefully structured going forward. either we go back to regionalization or this becomes one big league with divisions. i'm not sure which, only that this model as currently configured is not sustainable on multiple levels: travel, revenue, cost, rivalries, and so on.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

This all started in 1984 with the court ruling and the idea of limiting top-tier schools to maximize money for those who remained in the top tier. Slow roll almost 40-years.
surly

Post by surly »

with OuT out, stadium capacities are all circling the 50k mark, a few above and below, byu being the largest at 63k, uh the smallest at 40k.

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

cool?
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I recall many a ksu game where they were sold out but there were thousands of empty seats
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

As far as I'm concerned the revamped/rebuilt Memorial needs to be 2 things - Nice & full regardless of final capacity.
surly

Post by surly »

pdub wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:36 pm I recall many a ksu game where they were sold out but there were thousands of empty seats
i was in "the bill" for every game and don't recall any with "thousands of empty seats." you may have confused k-state with your brother rival, missouri.