Kansas Football 2021 Season

Kansas Football.
Cascadia

Re: Kansas Football 2021 Season

Post by Cascadia »

Maybe this should go in a new 2022 season thread, but I think I figured out the scholarship situation for next season. If everyone who played in 4 or less games takes a redshirt and all players who are eligible for a Super Senior season actually return, I think this is where we sit. 77 Scholarships

15 - Freshman (all redshirt)
25 - Sophomores (19 redshirt)
17 - Juniors (8 redshirt)
20 - Seniors (7 redshirt, 9 super senior)

Right now KU has 6 hard commits for the class of 2022.

I'm not sure all 9 super seniors return and we'll definitely lose players in the transfer portal. But this roster breakdown might help explain why the recruiting class is on the small side right now. There are also 5-6 players who were walk-ons who were later given scholarships. Not sure if the staff will rescind those or not. Also have to think Casey might be given a scholarship.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:37 pm I'm definitely encouraged. Won 2 games and was competitive in 3 others (OU, TCU and WVU). Also had a halftime lead at Duke.
I give KU football an A+ for 2021. Genuine improvement both year-over-year and during the season. Leipold and company really do have things on the right track.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

B+ for me.
You need to win more than 2 games to get an A of any sort.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I'm probably in the middle with an A/A-

They were one play away from sweeping OU and UT. That one play was one of the flukiest I've ever seen and I'm still not 100% convinced it was legal.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Remember when Gutter/Grandma/Unicorns basically called me an idiot for saying early on that I saw progress?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Overlander wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:09 pm Remember when Gutter/Grandma/Unicorns basically called me an idiot for saying early on that I saw progress?
Well, to be fair, he's certifiably nuts. And an asshole.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Overlander wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:09 pm Remember when Gutter/Grandma/Unicorns basically called me an idiot for saying early on that I saw progress?
No, I don't remember when Gutter/Grandma/Unicorns basically called you an idiot.
I actually said I agreed with you - that we made progress after a game and I gave the coaches and players credit for it. Did I not?

But hey, if it makes you feel better - you're an idiot. :P
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Cascadia wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:14 pm
Well, to be fair, he's certifiably nuts. And an asshole.
Well, to be fair, you're an asshole and a pussy who hides behind anonymity on message board.
I know you would never have the balls to say any of the shit you say about me to my face.
Hey, have a nice rest of your Sunday!
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

A- for me. From the first game blah game against South Dakota to being a damn competitive team for the last 5-6 games of the season, I’ll take that improvement any day.

They didn’t have their full install of plays u til probably week 3 or 4. Spring ball is going to help so much.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

B- from me.
I can and will somewhat break it down but I expected this team to win at least one if not two games.
This was a team that gave up 371 points in 8 consecutive games games. An average of 46+ points a game. That's HORRIBLE no matter who they played and how you slice it.
Oklahoma game was great effort despite the loss - and giving up 35 2nd half points.
Texas was a nice win but..... Texas is a sub .500 team that won 3 and lost 6 in conference.
TCU and WVU games were tough losses (closer than I would have figured they would be before the season started) but they helped to give me some hope for next season.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:18 pm
No, I don't remember when Gutter/Grandma/Unicorns basically called you an idiot.
I actually said I agreed with you - that we made progress after a game and I gave the coaches and players credit for it. Did I not?

It wasn’t that long ago.

Like, 3 of your screen names ago
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

From page 53 of the KU football thread, after I agreed with Newton that the team was indeed making progress

“ Let's be real here. He's the coach of a shit team that is 1-6.
A team that gave up 49, 45, 52, 59, and 41 points in consecutive games.
A team that gave up 35 2nd half points today.
If that's "the guy", I would hate to know what it would take to not be "the guy".”
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Overlander wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:51 pm

It wasn’t that long ago.

Like, 3 of your screen names ago
I asked you a question that you didn't answer. Why not?
How golden that you choose to ridicule me for choosing to step away from people who are assholes towards me. Especially when YOU are someone who told/suggested to me to step away.
"JFC".
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

What question?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Overlander wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:03 pm

From page 53 of the KU football thread, after I agreed with Newton that the team was indeed making progress

“ Let's be real here. He's the coach of a shit team that is 1-6.
A team that gave up 49, 45, 52, 59, and 41 points in consecutive games.
A team that gave up 35 2nd half points today.
If that's "the guy", I would hate to know what it would take to not be "the guy".”
Where did I say or even imply you are an idiot in that quoted post?
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:45 pm
Cascadia wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:37 pm I'm definitely encouraged. Won 2 games and was competitive in 3 others (OU, TCU and WVU). Also had a halftime lead at Duke.
I give KU football an A+ for 2021. Genuine improvement both year-over-year and during the season. Leipold and company really do have things on the right track.
WTF?!?!?!

DUDE we won 2 games. A+?!?!?!?

Look the problem is your perspective. Sure the past predicated the A+ BUT it does not work like that. We are 2-10 and we won one Big 12 game and you give the highest score possible. WTF are going to give when say we go 6-6 or heaven forbid a year of 8-4. The last five coaches gave you nothing but F's and now we A+ cause??????? The dynamics of this whole season changed when Bean got hurt and Jalon took over. We now actually have something to work with. This was the best we have looked in a long time and the future looks even better. Save the A+ for a year we actually play some good football.
That defense for sure not A+
Last edited by hartjack8 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Overlander wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:07 pm What question?
You're not a moron. Why are you behaving like one?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:06 pm A- for me. From the first game blah game against South Dakota to being a damn competitive team for the last 5-6 games of the season, I’ll take that improvement any day.

They didn’t have their full install of plays u til probably week 3 or 4. Spring ball is going to help so much.
This lowered the bar for expectations this season.

But seeing the in-season improvement, having a full offseason raises my expectations quite a bit for next year.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

I liked what I saw. I think the coaching staff started laying the groundwork. I think they coached up some players. I think there is a lot to be optimistic about. I think the players bought into what the coaches are telling them.

Now it is time to get out on the road and recruit. Eager to see what new players come in. Hopeful, they find some key players that can come in and play defense. Get the players healthy and bigger/faster for next season.

I am curious about some of the play calls in certain situations. I hope the staff makes some adjustments there also.

I give the team and staff a B+.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Of course, my B+ is graded on a steep Kansas football curve.
With no curve, a 2 win season has to be, at best, a D-.