Landlords

Coffee talk.
Overlander
Contributor

Re: Landlords

Post by Overlander »

dolomite wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:47 pm My tenant who has been renting from me for the last ten years will get notice that his rent will be going up for the first time.
I just had to have an hvac unit installed for $8,000. No choice but to raise the rent.
Sounds like a really complex HVAC.
The last one I replaced was 16k
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

pdub wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:17 pm Younger bro has had a neighbors tree take out his fence and power three times in the last two years. The first time it happened he had an arborist come out and assess the tree would likely do damage to his property again. He sent a letter to the neighbor stating as such.

Weeks ago it happened again, he had the same tree company come out and they said the same thing. Before he could get the arborist to write something officially the tree broke off again.

My bro writes a letter asking to have the fence damages and tree removal costs covered mentioning he had almost two years to do something about it.

Anyways guy who owns the house ( neighbor rents ) is a lawyer who owns multiple properties and the renter told my bro he’s just gonna ignore everything. My bro will likely have no chance in small claims court bc this douchenozzle likely golfs with the judge but he’s gonna try anyways.

Anyone been to small claims court and won?
I am curious how this played out. My home owners insurance said to send it certified mail and cc my homeowners insurance company on it. Since I would be making a claim to my insurance company if something happened, my insurance company would be happy to go after my neighbor if the neighber was negligent and suitably notified.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Unfortunately, the first letter didn't include a certified statement from the arborist, and the letter wasn't certified and tracked, so it went to the neighbor and NOT the landlord, so the landlord could just simply say he never received it.

The landlord actually came over to the neighbors property and they had a heated convo with the landlord saying that it was an act of God and that the tree looked healthy to him.

So brother sent over official statement from arborist, certified mail, to landlord, saying that the tree was not healthy and a danger to the property -- in this case, very likely giving him more credibility in a future case. He didn't move forward b/c he didn't take ( eye fucking roll with the law ) the exact necessary steps to have a good shot in court.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

dolomite wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:47 pm My tenant who has been renting from me for the last ten years will get notice that his rent will be going up for the first time.
I just had to have an hvac unit installed for $8,000. No choice but to raise the rent.
You could always just sell the place
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I have resisted becoming a landlord because even tho (I think) I'm (much) handier than your average guy these days, unless I could perform much of the upkeep, repair, and maintenance on the structure and appliances myself, hiring someone else to do it would cut into the profit too much to be worth it.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I have resisted becoming a landlord because I think it takes a fucking sociopath to think something as essential to human survival as shelter should be something anyone seeks to profit off of.

I’m LOL it’s just cuz I’m so broke I can’t even afford my own house to own, let alone multiple houses.

Maybe I could afford one tho if there weren’t so many landlords seeking profit off the available housing inventory…
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:41 am I have resisted becoming a landlord because even tho (I think) I'm (much) handier than your average guy these days, unless I could perform much of the upkeep, repair, and maintenance on the structure and appliances myself, hiring someone else to do it would cut into the profit too much to be worth it.
This is why I have only done it in large condo complexes. Their is maintenance on site and pretty reasonably priced.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:39 am I have resisted becoming a landlord because I think it takes a fucking sociopath to think something as essential to human survival as shelter should be something anyone seeks to profit off of.

I’m LOL it’s just cuz I’m so broke I can’t even afford my own house to own, let alone multiple houses.

Maybe I could afford one tho if there weren’t so many landlords seeking profit off the available housing inventory…
^^^

When you consider what a joy it is to deal with thoughtful, responsible, considerate tenants these days, landlords who aren't willing to take out mortgages to buy and loans to furnish and maintain, as well as pay property taxes on their properties without the expectation of earning a profit, how can you not worry about the future of mankind?
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

mjl2 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:42 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:41 am I have resisted becoming a landlord because even tho (I think) I'm (much) handier than your average guy these days, unless I could perform much of the upkeep, repair, and maintenance on the structure and appliances myself, hiring someone else to do it would cut into the profit too much to be worth it.
This is why I have only done it in large condo complexes. Their is maintenance on site and pretty reasonably priced.
^^^

And a property manager to handle the day-to-day joys of dealing with tenants.
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Don’t get me wrong, I really was jk.

Landlord really is my dream career.

Just sit back and get profit off real estate investments, so I don’t have to actually be at a real job for 40+ hours a week any more, and can put my time toward the things and people I actually enjoy in life.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:47 am
mjl2 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:42 am
^^^

And a property manager to handle the day-to-day joys of dealing with tenants.
We handled the day to day - with three units max, it wasn't a big deal. But for getting renters we used people, had to pay them a full month of rent for a 12 month contract.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

it's like rinse and repeat. Despite experienced people with evidence to the contrary Q ignores all, knows all and continues to spout his meme justice.

complain and do nothing? Wonder if Q is interested in working on the youth soccer fields?
Just Ledoux it
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I highly recommend that anyone who has never lived in non-profit housing, sign up to live for a year in the "projects". Having lived for two years as a kid in low income subsidized housing I can say it was an important life experience. If the closest you have come is to live in the student ghetto in Lawrence, I will say it's not quite the same.

Expand your life experience and rent an apartment in the nearest low income non-profit housing project and see what all the hype is about!
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:56 pm I highly recommend that anyone who has never lived in non-profit housing, sign up to live for a year in the "projects". Having lived for two years as a kid in low income subsidized housing I can say it was an important life experience. If the closest you have come is to live in the student ghetto in Lawrence, I will say it's not quite the same.

Expand your life experience and rent an apartment in the nearest low income non-profit housing project and see what all the hype is about!
That was in NE KC, Mo, wasn't it?

BTW: I'm not buying your anecdotal evidence until it's confirmed by Gutter, because he lives in Cabrini–Green, doesn't he?
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Shirley wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:46 am
When you consider what a joy it is to deal with thoughtful, responsible, considerate tenants these days, landlords who aren't willing to take out mortgages to buy and loans to furnish and maintain, as well as pay property taxes on their properties without the expectation of earning a profit, how can you not worry about the future of mankind?
My experience with tenants has been mostly non-profit with regards to rent. We have typically charged enough to pay utilities/taxes/insurance, but not enough to cover maintenance. We rent (or just allow to squat ) to mostly artists.

There was the time we had to replace the sewer line in a bathroom in Pagosa Springs because "the plumbing is broken" to remove a large plug of plaster of Paris that had set up in the sewer line. I now know that the easiest away to get rid of any extra plaster of Paris is to just dump it down the shower drain. And if one bathroom is "broken" you just move on to the other bathroom and use that until it "breaks". Also if you jam up the garbage disposal, you can always just dismount it from the sink and fuck around with it until it unjams and runs again. And if you reinstall it under the sink and it doesn't seal, to the extent that every time you use it the thing it sprays food all over the inside of the sink cabinet, that's not your problem. Just wait a few months until the Owner shows up and tell them about it. The sink still drains (partially into the cabinet) and the disposal stills runs (although he cabinet below is coated in rotten food spray) so stay calm and carry on. The landlord will fix it when you finally tell them about it.

Our place in the Empire is currently out of order. The plumber has yet to determine if the clog out in the alley is the dismembered body of the former lover of the artist who recently stayed there, or a ward of paint rags. Once we get that info we will know if we have to dig up the alley and replace the new sewer line or maybe the plumber can blast through it with a nuclear industrial snake device.

I have no idea why rents are so high. Being a landlord is the easiest money you will ever make.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Shirley wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:12 pm
That was in NE KC, Mo, wasn't it?

BTW: I'm not buying your anecdotal evidence until it's confirmed by Gutter, because he lives in Cabrini–Green, doesn't he?
And so did Mayor Jane Byrne.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

japhy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:17 pm
Shirley wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:46 am
My experience with tenants has been mostly non-profit with regards to rent. We have typically charged enough to pay utilities/taxes/insurance, but not enough to cover maintenance. We rent (or just allow to squat ) to mostly artists.

There was the time we had to replace the sewer line in a bathroom in Pagosa Springs because "the plumbing is broken" to remove a large plug of plaster of Paris that had set up in the sewer line. I now know that the easiest away to get rid of any extra plaster of Paris is to just dump it down the shower drain. And if one bathroom is "broken" you just move on to the other bathroom and use that until it "breaks". Also if you jam up the garbage disposal, you can always just dismount it from the sink and fuck around with it until it unjams and runs again. And if you reinstall it under the sink and it doesn't seal, to the extent that every time you use it the thing it sprays food all over the inside of the sink cabinet, that's not your problem. Just wait a few months until the Owner shows up and tell them about it. The sink still drains (partially into the cabinet) and the disposal stills runs (although he cabinet below is coated in rotten food spray) so stay calm and carry on. The landlord will fix it when you finally tell them about it.

Our place in the Empire is currently out of order. The plumber has yet to determine if the clog out in the alley is the dismembered body of the former lover of the artist who recently stayed there, or a ward of paint rags. Once we get that info we will know if we have to dig up the alley and replace the new sewer line or maybe the plumber can blast through it with a nuclear industrial snake device.

I have no idea why rents are so high. Being a landlord is the easiest money you will ever make.
Not landlord but another 99 kitchen story.

We cooked off rice 3 quarts at a time, raw. It basically tripled in size as it cooked. We browned it in oil before cooking with onions, tomatoes and chicken stock. Moran cook #1, burns 3 quarts of rice while toasting in oil. Moran dishwasher #2 dumps it down the disposal. Then continues to run hot water down the drain along with the hot water from the dishwasher for the next hour.

Not a pretty sight.
Defense. Rebounds.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Can you make popcorn that way?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so I'm at work today. Beav's at home taking a dump when he hears a commotion out in the living room.

He pokes his head out, and sees a...pit bull?

It's the landlord's. He just went ahead and let himself in, again, with his dog too this time.

oh, go figure. Beav offers a "hey heads up, the landlord doesn't allow pets in here."

"Very funny. Ha ha. I came by to talk about the lease."

"Dangit...well, can I at least wipe first?"

"well, I'm in a hurry. Just wanted to let you know I'm raising rent. Again."

Again? For the 3rd time in 3 years?

"yea, but this time I'm raising it more than I've ever raised it before."

dangit. Do you have to?

"no. But the thing is, I could raise it way more if I felt like it."

dangit. how much?

"Another $800."

dangit!

"you should just thank me I'm not raising it two grand!"

you realize we're gonna be at twice what we were paying 3 years ago.

"you guys have lived here 3 years!?"

yea. And in that time, not one other expense has gone up this quickly.

"yea, well my taxes have gone up too."

have they gone up $800 a month since last year?

"just be glad I'm not raising it two grand. So are you gonna renew?"

I dunno! lemme talk to my roomie, and look around at our other options...

"well there's hardly any other options right now. Ski season's about to start!"

yea, we know...btw, thanks for not mentioning this to us until the month the lease is up. Kinda putting us in a pickle here.

"well just let me know ASAP. Can you get back to me by tomorrow?"

I dunno! We have to discuss this, and weigh our options, and might just end up moving.

"wait, you guys are gonna move?!?!?!!"

maybe? this is a big unexpected expense, you know.

"well if you do then can you help me find some new tenants? BTW if it's new tenants, I'm definitely raising it two grand."

well it's gonna be real hard to find tenants for that price!

"well finding new tenants sounds hard! Can you guys just stay? Tell you what, I'll just raise it another $200."

Jesus Christ dude. Well now we're gonna take some time to think about this either way. We also wanted to ask about going month-to-month, like it mentions in the lease, and it sure would be nice to not have to plan our whole lives around an apartment lease after being good tenants for seven years.

"You guys have lived here for seven years?!"

yea, in case you never noticed. BTW, your dog is scratching at the door, you better not take that shit outta our deposit.

"well no-go on month-to-month, that would just be too inconvenient for me. OK I gotta go, but let me know ASAP, ideally by tomorrow."

...without commenting on landlords at large, ours is...among thee most ridiculous, right?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it