NBA 2021/2022

Kansas Basketball.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: NBA 2021/2022

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:10 am Apparently Calipari is one of the guys the Lakers are considering.

Not sure why. There is no recruiting in NBA.
I laughed. Plenty of recruiting in the NBA.
And.... Maybe because an NBA HC doesn't really do a whole lot, and he would be another puppet for Pelinka and ownership, and appease the guy who busted his ass as much if not more than anyone else in the NBA this season and is watching the playoffs from home (or the stands) - and A.D.?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

calipari will retire at kentucky.

HCBS is more likely to go pro than calipari.

i don't think either of those two are going to the nba.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Calipari has coached in the pros before and he is slightly in the hot seat.
I could see him listening to offers.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:52 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:53 am You pretty much called how this would work out. I was much more optimistic simply because of the versatility of Lebron and AD. But they couldn't stay healthy enough to ever find a rhythm, if there ever was even a rhythm to be found.

They started making roster mistakes when LeBron got there. Sold out for 1 title. Now their roster is decimated.

Although even with buddy and fournier this team wouldn't be a contender. No bench. This is kind of what happens when you try to build solely through free agent acquisition and keep almost none of the young prospects from the draft.
LeBron, Davis and Westbrook played a total of 21 games together, going 11-10. Neither James nor Davis can keep themselves healthy any more. Hard to get in a rhythm together when you barely play more than a game or two in a row together. It is a terribly constructed team and what's worse is that they might be stuck with it again next season. Any GM who would trade for Westbrook at this point should lose his job unless they are a team with zero stars that just needs some gate receipts.
I have heard Charlotte is a suitor. Swap Russ for Rozier. That might make charlotte worse initially but they are several years away from competing for anything meaningful. Then buyout Russ eventually or wait for his contract to expire. Then they have a huge amount of flexibility to build around LaMelo in the next few years.

LaMelo is a lot better than I expected him to be.
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:07 am calipari will retire at kentucky.

HCBS is more likely to go pro than calipari.

i don't think either of those two are going to the nba.
I still don't think the interest is there in the NBA for Self. Especially not in a place like LA.

Even our fans have complained about his hesitancy to move to a more modern style of offense. JJ Redick on his podcast the other day said guys like K and Self still run similar sets today as they did 10+ years ago, and that the college game is much slower to evolve.

I think Self would/could adjust his philosophies, but I am not sure he wants to. Self would even probably love to go back to playing 2 bigs at KU. He was trying as recently as a few years ago. At least he's getting more versatile guys like KJ and Clemence who even if they are considered 2 "bigs" have unqiue skill sets with either shooting (Clemence) or ability to guard all 5 spots when switching (KJ).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

is it just more or does the "Lakers interested in Cal" sound like a Cal camp talking point?

Maybe the Lakers really are tho, who knows.

But I dunno if Cal would wanna go from being the center of attention in Lexington to being just another face in LA.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

JJ Redick is an idiot then. What Self runs today is wildly different than what he ran with the twins and then Thomas Robinson.

If there is a big time college coach that hasn't adapted his offense well enough it's Cal. TyTy had no room to operate this season--pro scouts were all over that in-season.
Deleted User 863

I am guessing JJ Redick knows basketball better than either of us.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:50 am I am guessing JJ Redick knows basketball better than either of us.
And Cris Collinsworth knows a lot about football, but let's hear his opinion on the offensive scheme that Shawnee Mission East is prepped to use next season.
Deleted User 863

JJ Redick played at Duke and in the NBA. If he says Duke / K still run similar stuff as they did 10+ years ago I am inclined to believe him.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:56 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:50 am I am guessing JJ Redick knows basketball better than either of us.
And Cris Collinsworth knows a lot about football, but let's hear his opinion on the offensive scheme that Shawnee Mission East is prepped to use next season.
What is the over/under on minutes of college basketball JJ Redick watches every season?

I'll set it at 29.5
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

some gold here
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Or he hasn't actually watched much college hoops and was just commenting off the cuff. Charles Barkley knows more basketball than any of us and can't even get our freaking players names right.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:42 am
Or he hasn't actually watched much college hoops and was just commenting off the cuff. Charles Barkley knows more basketball than any of us and can't even get our freaking players names right.
You don't think he watches Duke games? I do.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

He was asked if he'd considered delving into the world of college basketball when contacted by ESPN, but Redick said that's not in the works. He's really always been more of an NBA guy.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/jj-redick ... /19957745/
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:44 am
Bill Self isn't running the same shit he did 10+ years ago. It's a ridiculous statement made in the "college coaches can't possibly adapt to the uber-modern NBA style" as if "sign an elite player and run ISOs for him on 40% of your plays" is some sort of coaching wizardry that only those with NBA experience can possibly dream up.
Deleted User 863

If you think NBA is all Iso offense then I can't help you.

And fwiw, even running iso offense where you force switches to get matchups you want IS offense. It's not exactly simple/easy.

And we absolutely run some similar stuff as we did 10+ years ago. Maybe with some wrinkles based on personnel, but I have never thought Self's offense was tricky or hard to scout for. We run what we run and we run it well.

None of JJs comments were knocks on the coaches themselves. It was simply a comment about why the college game is slow to evolve iirc. I think it was in regard to someone saying "if the NBA played defense as hard as college the games would be in the 70s and 80s too"....which is laughable.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:49 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:44 am

Bill Self isn't running the same shit he did 10+ years ago. It's a ridiculous statement made in the "college coaches can't possibly adapt to the uber-modern NBA style" as if "sign an elite player and run ISOs for him on 40% of your plays" is some sort of coaching wizardry that only those with NBA experience can possibly dream up.
The vast amount of PnR stuff that Self was running with Udoka would work great in the league.

This year's halfcourt with the 4-man dribble weave is not an NBA offense, but it is certainly way different than what Self was running 10 years ago.

Self would be the HC in the NBA as soon as the playoffs are over if he wanted it. He doesn't want it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:51 am If you think NBA is all Iso offense then I can't help you.

And fwiw, even running iso offense where you force switches to get matchups you want IS offense. It's not exactly simple/easy.
I even provided a specific 40% number so nop one would think I thought that was ALL it is but you still went for the drama queen response. Oh well, no shocker there.

This doesn't interest me enough to argue further. Redick's comment was dumb but that's just my opinion. I don't find the NBA interesting enough to watch on a remotely regular basis.
Deleted User 863

Self doesn't want the NBA. We know that for sure. Whether many NBA teams want Self is a big unknown. I am sure there are a few spots where he'd be considered, but I don't think he'd have his pick of the liter.