Manchin

Ugh.
Deleted User 89

Re: Manchin

Post by Deleted User 89 »

dolomite wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:02 pm Racism, being a social construct shouldn’t be in a school curriculum. Rather broad studies re the “human race” would be more effective.
way to not answer the questions
Deleted User 89

i don’t know if it’s still part of JH/HS curricula, but i’d really like to see how a course in American History or Civics is taught without any mention of slavery, racism or civil rights

“racism” is no more a human construct than “human race” is
Deleted User 89

and i guess we probably shouldn’t be teaching kids about sexism and sexual harassment either...since, ya know, we’re all humans
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

dolomite wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:02 pm Racism, being a social construct shouldn’t be in a school curriculum. Rather broad studies re the “human race” would be more effective.
Of course we teach non-purely-academic stuff in schools. That's part of what makes America America.

I argue this with my Soviet mother in law. She says the education in the USSR was better because they only focus on academics (like memorizing Pushkin poems). I respond that makes sense as to why that country produces so many unethical and racist adults (if you think racism is bad with Americans, you should get to know Russians).
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Mjl wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:17 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:04 pm
Mjl wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:50 am

No, that's my point, it's not Mancini and Synema, there are 50 other Senators with them. The country is more to the right than you think. Compromise, or get nothing and let the Republican crazies take over. It seems the Progressive caucus prefers the latter.
i guess i don’t follow

is it not those two that are holding up major legislation? there has already been much compromise just to get those two closer to support. no amount of compromise is going to bring republicans to the table.

i don’t think the country is more to the right, necessarily...i think it’s more independent/moderate than most realize. but, there is still overwhelming general support for the “build back better” plan. as of mid sept. 66% of the country, including 61% of independents supported it (only 39% of pubs).

manchin won’t support doing away with fossil fuel subsidies or other “incentives” designed to move us away from fossil fuels. he just won’t. and getting rid of that part of the legislation should be a non-starter...it’s key to starting down the path necessary to tackle both biodiversity loss and climate change.

so, i’m not sure what kind of compromising you think is worthwhile and justified
Correct, it is not just those two, to think of it in those terms is to just throw out representation of half the country.

I would say that the bipartisan infrastructure bill that the Progressive caucus is blocking is the compromise.

I think the detachment here is they are thinking of compromise in terms of compromising between the progressives and moderates. That's not how compromise works. When you have a 50/50 Senate and one of your 50 is from one of the reddest states, you don't have a majority. So yes, compromise needs to involve the other side of the aisle.
First of all I think that the US Senate is an anachronistic governing body. It gives outsized representation to land area at the cost of lowering representation of people. The modern Republican Party has pushed this fallacious premise to its extreme, and hiding behind “tradition”, while not offering anything constructive. Essentially they have disengaged from governing and somehow “folks” are ok with that. Unfortunately sticking it to the other party (whatever that it is) seems to be more important than having a better life and standard of living.

When 52% of the Senate represents 30% of the population whose nihilistic attitude seems to mirror Mich’s (“I have mine and everyone else can f-k off”) the Manchins and Sinemas and McConnells of the world will dominate the political landscape.
Deleted User 89

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:12 pm hey mich, how’s that clean and sparkling michigan water treating you?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/michigan-i ... 1635686526

:lol:
more lulz at mich

https://www.newsweek.com/michigan-city- ... es-1646071

Michigan City Advised By EPA to Forfeit Ownership of Water Facility Due to Lead Pipes
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Maybe drinking too much water out of lead pipes in mich's problem.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Was this where we were discussing critical race theory?

Cuz I saw an interesting question:

Where’s the line drawn between teaching critical race theory, and teaching to preserve yall’s heritage?”
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:26 am Was this where we were discussing critical race theory?

Cuz I saw an interesting question:

Where’s the line drawn between teaching critical race theory, and teaching to preserve yall’s heritage?”
during trump’s presidency there was a video that surfaced of a man/father who was speaking at a town hall or school board meeting, and he was adamant that his children only be taught the exceptionalism of ‘murica

this was obviously before CRT was leveraged by the pubs for another culture war chapter, but it highlights the fact that there are plenty of ill-educated dipshits out there that think exactly like trump (e.g. mich), where america is the greatest country on earth and is beyond any sort of retrospective look at why/how we got here if it involves anything other than hard work and the “american dream”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Michigan City is in Indiana

Edit:. Ohhhhh, city was capitalized because it was a headline, not because it's referring to Michigan City (which is very close to the city they are actually talking about)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh come on bro, yeah right.

What next, you gonna try and tell me Kansas City is actually in missourah?
Deleted User 89

honest mistake

kind of amazing how unoriginal many “settlers” were when it came to naming cities
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

whaddya mean...New York is super creative.
Just Ledoux it
dolomite2

Post by dolomite2 »

So I guess teaching CRT will make a race feel guilty or bad about themselves. I know I feel bad about the native Americans. Is it too late to do anything about it, or slavery which still exists in some places?

The Global Slavery Index (2018) estimated that roughly 40.3 million individuals are currently caught in modern slavery, with 71% of those being female, and 1 in 4 being children. ... Its estimated a total of 40 million people are trapped within modern slavery, with 1 in 4 of them being children.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

dolomite2 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:02 pm So I guess teaching CRT will make a race feel guilty or bad about themselves. I know I feel bad about the native Americans. Is it too late to do anything about it, or slavery which still exists in some places?

The Global Slavery Index (2018) estimated that roughly 40.3 million individuals are currently caught in modern slavery, with 71% of those being female, and 1 in 4 being children. ... Its estimated a total of 40 million people are trapped within modern slavery, with 1 in 4 of them being children.
What is CRT?
What schools have it in their curriculum?
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

I figure you’re pulling my leg. But any way, CRT (critical race theory). Illegal in Idaho, not sure about other states.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Infrastructure Bill:

Passed
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

dolomite wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:37 pm I figure you’re pulling my leg. But any way, CRT (critical race theory). Illegal in Idaho, not sure about other states.
Exactly. It's basically taught nowhere. Enjoy being scared of the Boogeyman. Toddler.