Kansas Football 2022 Season

Kansas Football.
Cascadia

Re: Kansas Football 2022 Season

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:46 am I recall an early linebacker transfer named Gabe Toomey that helped change the face of the defensive unit at Kansas Football.
Toomey was fucking awesome. One of my all time favorites
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Not going to bump the 2021 season thread for this. Seems like a fair assessment to me.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... eamer-more

Kansas Jayhawks
Coach: Lance Leipold
Team record in 2020: 0-8
Hiring grade: A-
2021 record: 2-10
First-year grade: B+

I debated between B+ and A- for Leipold, ultimately deciding that a two-win season cannot merit an A-grade. But Leipold did good work under extremely challenging circumstances, taking over at Kansas only in late April, after almost all of spring practice had been completed. He inherited an incredibly challenging roster situation and a team that failed to win a game in 2020, and had won just nine over the previous six seasons.

Kansas prevailed only twice under Leipold but began to form an identity, especially on offense, his specialty. A 31-point underdog at Texas, the Jayhawks outlasted the Longhorns in overtime to end their 56-game Big 12 road losing streak. They also outplayed Oklahoma for most of a 35-23 loss, and ended the season with single-digit defeats to TCU and West Virginia. Leipold has won everywhere he has been, and while Kansas' challenges aren't going away, more victories likely are on the way in Year 2.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Solid B is what I think. Did his best to make chicken salad out of chicken shit in a short amount of time.

Momentum gaining for Gilyard to KU. Me thinks we are getting him.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Yeah, I disagree. Two wins at Kansas, including a conference road win, and looking generally competent and like they belonged in the losses, is A+ to me.

Doesn't mean that's the bar for next year, but for this year? A+.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:47 am Solid B is what I think. Did his best to make chicken salad out of chicken shit in a short amount of time.

Momentum gaining for Gilyard to KU. Me thinks we are getting him.
Just announced on his Instagram, Gilyard to Kansas. That is huge. Huge.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

With the bar being so low a conference win, in general might get you an A, lol. So I retract my initial B and give him an A. Hell, his staff getting the offensive line to not look like a high school unit might get him an A alone.

Gilyard is a monster upgrade. MONSTER.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:46 am I recall an early linebacker transfer named Gabe Toomey that helped change the face of the defensive unit at Kansas Football.
A fucking mad man Toomey was.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Signing day today. Kirby over at Jayhawk Slant saying to expect a good number of signees today.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

UnholyLivingDead

Everyone that covers KU football has said they expect a smaller class of signees today just because of the massive amount of freshmen and sophomores we already have on the roster, but there are some talented high school kids signing today even though the real excitement for this year's class will be in the transfers we land.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Ok with transfers if they’re coming in with 2-3 seasons of eligibility left.

Need to hit high school hard next year. Recruiting still a question mark.
UnholyLivingDead

Give Les Miles credit for one thing: he loaded this team up with high school seniors in his recruiting classes. The roster is now so young that this staff can bring in some transfers with 2-3 years of eligibility to fill gaps with immediate impact players. That's a big help since the weird timing for the KU coaching change put this staff WAY behind in putting together the 2022 class. They have been working hard on 2023 high school kids though.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:34 am Everyone that covers KU football has said they expect a smaller class of signees today just because of the massive amount of freshmen and sophomores we already have on the roster, but there are some talented high school kids signing today even though the real excitement for this year's class will be in the transfers we land.
Yeah should have said a good number for the limit that they have. Like CnB said, fine with transfers if they can play 2-3 years. Gilyard will have 2 years but the other transfers all have 3+ I believe.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:55 am Give Les Miles credit for one thing: he loaded this team up with high school seniors in his recruiting classes. The roster is now so young that this staff can bring in some transfers with 2-3 years of eligibility to fill gaps with immediate impact players. That's a big help since the weird timing for the KU coaching change put this staff WAY behind in putting together the 2022 class. They have been working hard on 2023 high school kids though.
I think Newton and I were preaching from day 1 of Miles era that the #1 job was replenishing the roster. Seems the scholly numbers are better, but still a ways to go considering Miles had only two recruiting classes that were surrounded by staff job security questions.

The ending of Miles era was very ugly, but considering where he was in life/career, we may have gotten just about the best he could do for us at the time. The Long/Miles hiring and era could have sunk KU football to the lowest of the lows. I'm actually surprised it didn't. I can't believe Leipold took the job.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:35 am Need to hit high school hard next year. Recruiting still a question mark.
2023 is the perfect year to hit the state of Kansas hard. Probably the best talent to come out the state, potentially ever. And Kansas is in the mix for a few of the top guys.

John Randle Jr from Heights in Wichita (Feel old) and Dylan Edwards from Derby are both running backs that KU is going after hard and seem to be in a decent position.

A 4 star TE from Eudora just committed to Arkansas and Avery Johnson a 4 star QB from Maize just visited KU but seems to looking out of state.

But lots of talent in 2023 in Kansas to go after. If KU shows progress on the field again, they'll get a few of the top 10 guys from the state.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:01 am
UnholyLivingDead wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:55 am Give Les Miles credit for one thing: he loaded this team up with high school seniors in his recruiting classes. The roster is now so young that this staff can bring in some transfers with 2-3 years of eligibility to fill gaps with immediate impact players. That's a big help since the weird timing for the KU coaching change put this staff WAY behind in putting together the 2022 class. They have been working hard on 2023 high school kids though.
I think Newton and I were preaching from day 1 of Miles era that the #1 job was replenishing the roster. Seems the scholly numbers are better, but still a ways to go considering Miles had only two recruiting classes that were surrounded by staff job security questions.

The ending of Miles era was very ugly, but considering where he was in life/career, we may have gotten just about the best he could do for us at the time. The Long/Miles hiring and era could have sunk KU football to the lowest of the lows. I'm actually surprised it didn't. I can't believe Leipold took the job.
Absolutely correct. And he did just that. He loaded the roster with high school kids.

I think Leipold only took this job because of Goff, I truly mean that. He could have gotten a way better job in this year's cycle had he just been patient and waited. I personally think he would have gone to VaTech or Virginia and just absolutely killed it there.

UnholyLivingDead

So, Miles Kendrick is going to try to use his last year of eligibility...

https://twitter.com/RivalsPortal/status ... 7934039046
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Conrad Hawley is transferring out too, it seems. He was a developmental guy, but seemed to be a leader type, but apparently his throwing motion needs some serious work.

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

So it looks like Mason Ellis is going to greyshirt. I'm presuming that scholarship does not count towards 2022. Can anyone confirm that?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »