Kansas Football 2022 Season

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Kansas Football 2022 Season

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Absolutely believe Daniels will make at least a practice squad in the league.

Just wondering if it makes more sense to stick around given NIL environment.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Valid point. And his NIL with adidas doesn't hurt.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Duggan took an early payout. Probably operates as an Atlanta fund manager next year.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:48 am Correct. Quite a few teams had starting QBs get hurt during the year and had to turn to a backup. KU, kstate, Texas Tech, West Va, oSu, Baylor, Texas, OU and that was just in the Big 12. TCU was healthy at QB all year as was Iowa State. You need a solid backup QB.

This is probably Bean and Daniels last year here, if I had a guess. Think Daniels has a good year to where he gives the NFL a shot and Bean will be a Super Senior. Enjoy 2023 and then Vasko has the keys in 2024 and for the next couple of years after that.
Duggan did not start the year as the starter he came in when he got hurt. We need JD to run to get full potential out of this offense so Bean is huge. Two years from now the CFP expands to 12 teams and the Big12 is watered down with no OU and UT so if somehow someway we find any kind of defense we in for sure.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Leipold and Co once again doing some work in the portal.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Ar ... 202910702/
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:16 am Leipold and Co once again doing some work in the portal.

"His 247Sports Composite grade of 0.9231 would make him KU’s highest-rated commit ever if he had signed with KU out of high school."
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Fabulous news.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:57 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:16 am Leipold and Co once again doing some work in the portal.

"His 247Sports Composite grade of 0.9231 would make him KU’s highest-rated commit ever if he had signed with KU out of high school."
Nope this guy would have been the highest-rated commit ever.

https://247sports.com/Player/Logan-Brown-45572566/
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

A good article by McDowell at The Star..

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... stage_card

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We made the top 5.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... 022-season

"5. Arkansas 55, Kansas 53 (Dec. 28)
With 1:23 remaining in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl, Kansas was down 15 and faced a second-and-29 from the Arkansas 40. Arkansas' win probability at this moment: 99.9%, per ESPN Analytics. Arkansas had built a 31-7 lead in the second quarter, and Kansas had done all it could to crawl back in. But we had no idea what was coming.

* KU's Jalon Daniels completed passes of 30 yards to Kevin Terry and 10 to Douglas Emilien to not only convert the second-and-29 but also score with 1:05 left.

* The Jayhawks recovered the ensuing onside kick and scored in just four plays, with Luke Grimm scoring on a 21-yard catch and Lawrence Arnold catching a 2-point conversion to tie the game.

* Kansas started OT by scoring on fourth-and-2, and Arkansas quickly responded.

* In the second overtime, Arkansas again scored quickly and converted the 2-pointer. Kansas responded with a Daniels score and, after a controversial targeting penalty on the first 2-point attempt, converted to send the game to another OT.

* In the third OT possession, KJ Jefferson completed a scoring pass to Rashod Dubinion, but Kansas backup QB Jason Bean overshot an open receiver on a trick play."
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Probably number one really. So entertaining.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Waiting for Newton's take on the new signings. Especially DL and DB. I gather they are in class now.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Like McDuffie signing. 1,300 yards or so in 2021 at Buffalo. Not sure about others.

Getting the LSU CB is a big get.

Help on DL is always a plus.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... lege-teams

71. Kansas Jayhawks
ESPN 300 commits: 0 | Previous ranking: 71

Big 12 rank: 10 of 10
Top offensive commit: TE Jaden Hamm (four stars)
Top defensive commit: CB Jacoby Davis (three stars)

The Jayhawks made a big jump on the field in 2022 and continue to add pieces on the recruiting trail. The wide receiver position has plenty of talent on the way in sure-handed Surahz Buncom out of California and Keaton Kubecka out of Texas power Austin Westlake. Another Lone Star State WR in the class is Jarred Sample out of the Houston area. The top in-state prospect in the class is three-star OT Calvin Clements from down the road at Lawrence Free State High. Three-star CB Jameel Croft and three-star defensive tackle Marcus Calvin have impact ability. DEs Tony Terry and Blake Herold have strong hands and playing strength with frames to develop.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Definitely a reverse from like 6 years ago where Beaty was trying to recruit top of the top and then didn't develop.

Leipold kind of the other way. He finds guys in the measurements and qualities that they want, and then they develop the crap out of them.

They'll never be top in the recruiting rankings. That goes off of quantity and quality of recruits more than anything. KU with the transfer portal is taking advantage of that and will probably only have 12-15 recruits from the HS ranks and then about 10 or so transfers in each class.

I think I saw that KU, while low in the HS recruiting ranks was something in the 70s, but their transfer ranking was somewhere in the 20s. That's probably what it's going to be in the future.

hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

I have no idea where you are seeing we are ranked 20's in the portal, probably closer to 40.

I found this which is huge.

https://www.rockchalktalk.com/2023/1/25 ... ship-limit

So we losing from what I can see 8 of the two deep on defense. Five on the DL and 3 lb's.
Nothing on the back end. We have four transfer DL's and one Hs early enroller. One transfer lb. although we are not losing any of the starters just the three back-ups.

The CB's are looking good. We had really good HS recruit LY and got another this year plus a transfer from LSU. We need a plethora of these guys for nickel and dime packages.

After spring ball there is another transfer window to add some depth on D. It will be basically one transfer out for one transfer in.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

I didn't focus on the offense cause we loaded. I can not stress how much Bean coming back will impact this team. We need JD to run to optimize this offense which would put QB #1 at risk. We need Bean to play QB #2 and to play him from the get go. We got two monster transfer OL to add to an already good OL. There are three HS WR's. one HS TE, one transfer and one HS Rb that will add to depth.

We are deep all the way across the board. This offense is going to be good.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

hartjack8 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:37 am I have no idea where you are seeing we are ranked 20's in the portal, probably closer to 40.

I found this which is huge.

https://www.rockchalktalk.com/2023/1/25 ... ship-limit

So we losing from what I can see 8 of the two deep on defense. Five on the DL and 3 lb's.
Nothing on the back end. We have four transfer DL's and one Hs early enroller. One transfer lb. although we are not losing any of the starters just the three back-ups.

The CB's are looking good. We had really good HS recruit LY and got another this year plus a transfer from LSU. We need a plethora of these guys for nickel and dime packages.

After spring ball there is another transfer window to add some depth on D. It will be basically one transfer out for one transfer in.
Good point. At one time it was in the 20s. Now high 30s. But yeah I think we're finding a good mix of HS and transfer guys. We won't be a Deion at Colorado who wants under 10 HS players, at least 10 transfer portal guys and then a handful of 1 year grad transfers. But I think this staff is finding a good balance of getting guys who project to be on campus for 2-3 years at minimum.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

hartjack8 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:52 am I didn't focus on the offense cause we loaded. I can not stress how much Bean coming back will impact this team. We need JD to run to optimize this offense which would put QB #1 at risk. We need Bean to play QB #2 and to play him from the get go. We got two monster transfer OL to add to an already good OL. There are three HS WR's. one HS TE, one transfer and one HS Rb that will add to depth.

We are deep all the way across the board. This offense is going to be good.
The offense is going to be loaded again. And it's going to be fun to watch.