Name brand or generic

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Name brand or generic

Post by ousdahl »

In this thread let’s discuss things that are worth ponying up for the big name stuff, and things you might as well buy the store brand

For instance, English muffins.

The Thomas ones in the orange box get all light and crunchy and are so much tastier than the store ones, which are half the price but comparatively taste like some processed spongey material
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Name brand or generic

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Toilet paper. /thread
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Opinions are like assholes
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Where does Kirkland brand fit in? It’s name brand on the inside and generic on the outside
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I only eat cheap sushi from a gas station.
Defense. Rebounds.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:56 am I only eat cheap sushi from a gas station.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IenaTS7H0JU
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Paper towels and TP I always buy name brand. I've bought off brand paper towels and they just suck, fall apart,
are super thin, etc. Pony up for Brawny or Bounty. TP same thing, Cottonelle or Charmin.

I'll buy off brand stuff for making chili like kidney beans, tomato sauce, etc. It all tastes the same.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

what, you guys don’t like single-ply tp?
shindig

Post by shindig »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:04 am what, you guys don’t like single-ply tp?
Lol. I have a bunch from last year when it was the only TP you could find...it's my backup.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

shindig wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:52 am Paper towels and TP I always buy name brand. I've bought off brand paper towels and they just suck, fall apart,
are super thin, etc. Pony up for Brawny or Bounty. TP same thing, Cottonelle or Charmin.

I'll buy off brand stuff for making chili like kidney beans, tomato sauce, etc. It all tastes the same.
I buy white-labeled OTC medications (ibuprofen, etc.). Definitely agree on staples that end up in recipes.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

shindig wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:52 am Paper towels and TP I always buy name brand. I've bought off brand paper towels and they just suck, fall apart,
This was me until I tried Kirkland paper towels--they work great.

Kirkland TP, like all generic TP, is awful, third world stuff.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:15 am

I buy white-labeled OTC medications (ibuprofen, etc.). Definitely agree on staples that end up in recipes.
You'd have to be an absolute sucker only buying name-brand OTC medication or any medication if a generic is available.

I have seen what goes into the sausage making for canned goods: vegetables, beans, etc. (it's all the same).

But gtfo out of here with your Cheese Nibs and Hydrox.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

tools, particularly power tools. thats a big no on things from harbor freight, and Chicago electric, hart, ryobi etc.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:33 am tools, particularly power tools. thats a big no on things from harbor freight, and Chicago electric, hart, ryobi etc.
Harbor Freight gets a lot of hate. How is DeWalt? That's what I have, but don't really need anything more powerful than a drill.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'll buy the mid-range paper towel brand. I see no reason to fork over premium cash for top of the line stuff that will end up in the trash can.

Windex only for cleaning, the original is the only one. Nothing else gets it done.
409 for heavy duty cleaning.
Extra super-duper Cascade for dishwasher soap.
Dawn for hand and pots and pans.

I bought cheap butter once. Now I just stick with Land O Lakes. Stick, get it?
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

all my power tools, or at least most of them, are Dewalt and i love em

i’ve got a big tool box from Harbor Freight and it works well enough

i just told the wife the other day that if she’s buying tools, even screwdrivers and the like, to just spend the extra money and get Stanley, Craftsman, etc. i’ve had screwdriver shafts come loose from handles too many times when buying cheap tools
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:19 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:15 am

You'd have to be an absolute sucker only buying name-brand OTC medication or any medication if a generic is available.

I have seen what goes into the sausage making for canned goods: vegetables, beans, etc. (it's all the same).

But gtfo out of here with your Cheese Nibs and Hydrox.
Right; anything where taste or texture is direct exposure is a hard no for me.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:41 am I'll buy the mid-range paper towel brand. I see no reason to fork over premium cash for top of the line stuff that will end up in the trash can.

Windex only for cleaning, the original is the only one. Nothing else gets it done.
409 for heavy duty cleaning.
Extra super-duper Cascade for dishwasher soap.
Dawn for hand and pots and pans.

I bought cheap butter once. Now I just stick with Land O Lakes. Stick, get it?
You absolutely need the good dishwasher detergent. The machines don't work like they should with the cheap stuff. Cascade Platinum Pacs are decently priced at Costco.

I pegged you as a Kerrygold guy--can't beat it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This is an observation on fly rods but prob applies to plenty of other products too

so a few years back a bunch of boutique rod companies popped up, driven largely by slick social media campaigns. They ran in the $400 or so range as “custom” rods.

Then word got out they were all Chinese-manufactured rods that are otherwise the exact same product as some generic sounding brand that sells on Amazon for like $45 a pop.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Kerrygold is good, I can't really tell the difference between that and LoL. Could be me.
A local butcher here sells a home made Amish butter at a crazy high price. Like 10 or 12 bucks a pound. I've been temped but never gone for it.
Defense. Rebounds.