Name brand or generic

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: Name brand or generic

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:48 am
jhawks99 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:41 am I'll buy the mid-range paper towel brand. I see no reason to fork over premium cash for top of the line stuff that will end up in the trash can.

Windex only for cleaning, the original is the only one. Nothing else gets it done.
409 for heavy duty cleaning.
Extra super-duper Cascade for dishwasher soap.
Dawn for hand and pots and pans.

I bought cheap butter once. Now I just stick with Land O Lakes. Stick, get it?
You absolutely need the good dishwasher detergent. The machines don't work like they should with the cheap stuff. Cascade Platinum Pacs are decently priced at Costco.

I pegged you as a Kerrygold guy--can't beat it.
I like Kerrygold on bread or things where you're eating in directly. But when it's in stuff, baking, mixed into mashed potatoes, etc., I like the American butter, I think my pallet just got used to it growing up.

But the first time I traveled to europe (Italy) I remember being blown away by how good the butter was (when I put it on bread).
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:55 am
jhawks99 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:41 am I'll buy the mid-range paper towel brand. I see no reason to fork over premium cash for top of the line stuff that will end up in the trash can.

Windex only for cleaning, the original is the only one. Nothing else gets it done.
409 for heavy duty cleaning.
Extra super-duper Cascade for dishwasher soap.
Dawn for hand and pots and pans.

I bought cheap butter once. Now I just stick with Land O Lakes. Stick, get it?
You absolutely need the good dishwasher detergent. The machines don't work like they should with the cheap stuff. Cascade Platinum Pacs are decently priced at Costco.

I like Kerrygold on bread or things where you're eating in directly. But when it's in stuff, baking, mixed into mashed potatoes, etc., I like the American butter, I think my pallet just got used to it growing up.

But the first time I traveled to europe (Italy) I remember being blown away by how good the butter was (when I put it on bread).
Pretty fair. Butter is one of the few things the euros do better.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Polo brand dress shirts - the authentic ones, not the knockoffs. They cost about twice what you would pay at a department store, but they last forever. I just threw away one where the fabric finally came away from the collar after wearing it weekly for almost twenty years. I have a closet full of them.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:53 am Kerrygold is good, I can't really tell the difference between that and LoL. Could be me.
A local butcher here sells a home made Amish butter at a crazy high price. Like 10 or 12 bucks a pound. I've been temped but never gone for it.
I went to St Louis a couple of weeks ago to cook dinner for my mom and her siblings, My sister and I went to the grocery and there it was; a 3 lb megablock of Amish butter. She pointed it out and laughed that she and her daughter joked about buy one of those some day and bake for an entire weekend. I tossed it in the cart, this is that weekend. We used it for everything. I won't pay extra for wagyu beef when there is a perfectly great ribeye setting next to it. But damn that butter was good.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

cheese

generic cheese is like flavored plastic
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:53 am This is an observation on fly rods but prob applies to plenty of other products too

so a few years back a bunch of boutique rod companies popped up, driven largely by slick social media campaigns. They ran in the $400 or so range as “custom” rods.

Then word got out they were all Chinese-manufactured rods that are otherwise the exact same product as some generic sounding brand that sells on Amazon for like $45 a pop.
I only own three rods, they are Winston and Sage. I have a 3wt, 5wt and 9wt. They are all over 30 years old and have been used and abused, worth every penny.

By the way, I think we have a project in Alta, WY. It is a new $10M residence with a view of the Tetons and there is a "smaller" guest house already on the property that might be used for construction site visits. After driving out there I might as well stay a week or so and see what the Greys River is like. I may need an assistant to hold the dumb end of a tape measure when I go up there. Do you have any experience checking rebar spacing?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:36 am
TDub wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:33 am tools, particularly power tools. thats a big no on things from harbor freight, and Chicago electric, hart, ryobi etc.
Harbor Freight gets a lot of hate. How is DeWalt? That's what I have, but don't really need anything more powerful than a drill.
All of my stuff is Dewalt except my miter saw.

With everything going cordless once you have 1 tool you're pretty much locked into a brand....the batteries are expensive and having different set ups is costly and a pain in the ass.

as a generalization...carpenters use Dewalt, plumbers and electricians use Milwaukee.

Dewalt is plenty good for 99% of what anyone ever uses it for, there some really nice tools out there for specialty work. Festool, for example, is a great and very precise brand...but extremely expensive and only needed when you know what you're doing snd need things to be custom and exemplary.

corded shop tools that don't get moved job to job (like bigger table saws) are more varied and all depends on preference.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

harbor freight is great for mule tools that you dont need to be precise, can get cheap, use hard, and trash when they break.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:36 am as a generalization...carpenters use Dewalt, plumbers and electricians use Milwaukee.
my pops has a corded Milwaukee power drill that could probably survive a nuclear bomb. i’ve never operated a drill with so much torque. had to get it for rough-sawn oak barn footers
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

japhy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:32 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:53 am This is an observation on fly rods but prob applies to plenty of other products too

so a few years back a bunch of boutique rod companies popped up, driven largely by slick social media campaigns. They ran in the $400 or so range as “custom” rods.

Then word got out they were all Chinese-manufactured rods that are otherwise the exact same product as some generic sounding brand that sells on Amazon for like $45 a pop.
I only own three rods, they are Winston and Sage. I have a 3wt, 5wt and 9wt. They are all over 30 years old and have been used and abused, worth every penny.

By the way, I think we have a project in Alta, WY. It is a new $10M residence with a view of the Tetons and there is a "smaller" guest house already on the property that might be used for construction site visits. After driving out there I might as well stay a week or so and see what the Greys River is like. I may need an assistant to hold the dumb end of a tape measure when I go up there. Do you have any experience checking rebar spacing?
Not really! I’d be more than willing to learn tho, especially if fishing is involved. I can double haul a fly line all the way into the backing, and I figure that’s pretty much the same thing as checking rebar spacing, right?

When do you plan to go?

Btw, if I recall your 3 weight is one of the original Trout LLs. Pretty sure those original ones have gone through the roof in collectible value ever since Sage released a new iteration of that same model name.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Yeah, have to pick a battery system and stick with it. I got a free 3 tool pack from a Milwaukee rep years ago so all of my stuff is their M18 system.

Regarding TP, get the good stuff but you also need a bidet seat.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:12 amRegarding TP, get the good stuff but you also need a bidet seat.
Of course. Been waiting to buy a good, expensive Asian one, but with COVID setting in, just went ahead and went with a Tushy.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:06 am

It’s probably as much the bread as it’s the butter. Euros (except maybe Scandinavia -too dense) do bread better than anything you get in North America, save for a few small bakeries. One thing I’ve noticed is that they don’t refrigerate the butter. It’s likely fresh and unpasteurized
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

zsn wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:50 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:06 am

It’s probably as much the bread as it’s the butter. Euros (except maybe Scandinavia -too dense) do bread better than anything you get in North America, save for a few small bakeries. One thing I’ve noticed is that they don’t refrigerate the butter. It’s likely fresh and unpasteurized
I have spent little time in Europe but just generally think the imported euro butters taste better. Wife lived in Europe for 5+ years and she thinks they do something different with the cream there.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:08 am
TDub wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:36 am as a generalization...carpenters use Dewalt, plumbers and electricians use Milwaukee.
my pops has a corded Milwaukee power drill that could probably survive a nuclear bomb. i’ve never operated a drill with so much torque. had to get it for rough-sawn oak barn footers
cordless is convenient and nice....but there are tasks they can't handle.
Just Ledoux it
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:19 am
Cascadia wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:12 amRegarding TP, get the good stuff but you also need a bidet seat.
Of course. Been waiting to buy a good, expensive Asian one, but with COVID setting in, just went ahead and went with a Tushy.
I have a Toto, best thing I’ve purchased in years
Deleted User 89

makes me miss the rain down in Africa
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:09 am
japhy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:32 am

Not really! I’d be more than willing to learn tho, especially if fishing is involved. I can double haul a fly line all the way into the backing, and I figure that’s pretty much the same thing as checking rebar spacing, right?

When do you plan to go?

Btw, if I recall your 3 weight is one of the original Trout LLs. Pretty sure those original ones have gone through the roof in collectible value ever since Sage released a new iteration of that same model name.
It is an old 389 LL - 2piece. It is the closest thing I have used to my old Winston rod in feel. I fish that even on rivers unless it is windy and then I grab the 5 wt. I once caught a 9 pound plus largemouth on the 3 wt throwing a hopper into cattails from a bellyboat. I have never seen a rod bent like that. It is on the list of things my daughter wants when I die.
shindig

Post by shindig »

I love my Milwaukee cordless drill. I paid roughly $200 for it 6 years ago and it always works flawlessly. Before that I had a cheap battery powered Skill drill. It quit working after 6 months. Also like DeWalt, have a electric hammer drill and orbit sander. I used to buy black and decker and most of those have been tossed over the years. Lithium batteries are so much better than the old Nicad batteries.
Deleted User 89

shindig wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:33 am
I love my Milwaukee cordless drill. I paid roughly $200 for it 6 years ago and it always works flawlessly. Before that I had a cheap battery powered Skill drill. It quit working after 6 months. Also like DeWalt, have a electric hammer drill and orbit sander. I used to buy black and decker and most of those have been tossed over the years. Lithium batteries are so much better than the old Nicad batteries.
i bought myself a cordless dewalt set more than a decade ago, and have loved it. the circular saw is the only thing that seems under-powered. my fil gets stuff “cheap” through his work, so i’ve gotten extra batteries, chargers and even tools themselves over the past few years…i’ve got quite the matching set now

my grandfather, years ago, had a ShopSmith. i think it had a lathe, mitre, and table saw all in one (plus i’m sure other goodies i don’t remember)…i think i’d have to go into work with TDub to justify such a purchase