Re: 4 day work week!

Post by Deleted User 89 »

sign me up
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I knew who started this thread as soon as I saw the title
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And I knew who would be among the first to post snarky reactions
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

damn dude, you're sensitive, my post wasn't "snarky"

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wasn't 1st cuz he's workin.
Defense. Rebounds.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

12-08-2021 is the day of the obvious.

big pharma declares we need more

progressives want to work less

12-08-2021 is the day of the obvious.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

12-08-2021 is the day of redundancy.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Hell yes I wanna work less.

Or should I say, “work” less. I’m glad to put more effort into things I actually care about, rather than into some sort of labor I don’t care about beyond economic survival.

With more things automated and with technology increasing productivity and all, why shouldn’t we be working less? Is there any good argument against, gasp, spending more time with loved ones or pursuing passions?

Think of it this way: if the current system didn’t already exist, and suddenly some folks told everyone “hey we expect you to work no fewer than 40 hours a week overwhelmingly for someone else who bosses you around then gets all the money about it,” we would kick those folks’s asses.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:39 pm Hell yes I wanna work less.

Or should I say, “work” less. I’m glad to put more effort into things I actually care about, rather than into some sort of labor I don’t care about beyond economic survival.

With more things automated and with technology increasing productivity and all, why shouldn’t we be working less? Is there any good argument against, gasp, spending more time with loved ones or pursuing passions?

Think of it this way: if the current system didn’t already exist, and suddenly some folks told everyone “hey we expect you to work no fewer than 40 hours a week overwhelmingly for someone else who bosses you around then gets all the money about it,” we would kick those folks’s asses.
Global competition.
Domestic demand.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Politically, if there was a time and way to actually try to get this done, this is very much not it.

It's just empty red meat for the base
Deleted User 89

from the evidence i’ve seen where this has been tried, it actually increases overall productivity as well as employee morale
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:09 pm from the evidence i’ve seen where this has been tried, it actually increases overall productivity as well as employee morale
That's the way to get it done - partner with some businesses to officially pilot it, and show the results to try to get the buy-in of businesses, to help get the buy-in of constituents.

I have heard good results as well... But they were all at white-collar businesses. I am skeptical that manufacturing and retail will buy in or benefit. Especially with businesses having such a hard time hiring right now.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:35 pm 12-08-2021 is the day of redundancy.
POTD
POTD

Deleted User 89

Mjl wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:19 pm I have heard good results as well... But they were all at white-collar businesses. I am skeptical that manufacturing and retail will buy in or benefit. Especially with businesses having such a hard time hiring right now.
very good point
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:19 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:09 pm from the evidence i’ve seen where this has been tried, it actually increases overall productivity as well as employee morale
That's the way to get it done - partner with some businesses to officially pilot it, and show the results to try to get the buy-in of businesses, to help get the buy-in of constituents.

I have heard good results as well... But they were all at white-collar businesses. I am skeptical that manufacturing and retail will buy in or benefit. Especially with businesses having such a hard time hiring right now.
I still think the biggest reason bidnesses are having a hard time hiring is they simply aren’t offering competitive enough wages. It’s basic supply and demand, really. That’s a whole different can of worms tho.

But - you bring up a good point, about jobs that require an in-person presence, like retail and manufacturing and stuff.
Of course the employers won’t buy in, but if it was up to those employers, work weeks would still be a hell of a lot longer than 40 hours over 5 days.

This isn’t about the employers, though. It’s about the workers, and allowing them to have more of a life outside of work, like white collar types are apparently already affording themselves.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

why would the workers be in favor of a 32 hour work week. when so many of them are currently working a 0 hour work week.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 89

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:32 pm why would the workers be in favor of a 32 hour work week. when so many of them are currently working a 0 hour work week.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:26 pm This isn’t about the employers, though. It’s about the workers, and allowing them to have more of a life outside of work, like white collar types are apparently already affording themselves.
If that's the case this should easily pass in a bipartisan way, right? Do you think that will happen?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wait, why should it?

Why would it?

That’s like saying a raise in the minimum wage should easily pass in a bipartisan way.

Since when have lawmakers been kind to the working class?