4 day work week!

Ugh.
Mjl

Re: 4 day work week!

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:08 pm Wait, why should it?

Why would it?

That’s like saying a raise in the minimum wage should easily pass in a bipartisan way.

Since when have lawmakers been kind to the working class?
Because it's a lot easier to get votes when your constituents agree with your principles.

I think your viewpoint there seems consistent with the "why do people vote against their self interests" mindset. And the answer to that is they vote based on principle, not on self interest. I do the same.

Hard work is seen as a virtue to a heck of a lot of working class people in the US, it's part of the culture. There are a TON of Miches and psychs out there that will see this proposal as people wanting to be lazy, and that goes against their principles.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

Lawmakers aren’t kind to the working class cuz the working class ain’t kind to themselves.

It’s taken quite the propaganda or whatever to convince workers they should just be grateful to be employed, rather than realize their own labor value.

But I guess I’ll take that to the temporarily embarrassed millionaires thread.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Mjl wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:28 pm

Why would it?

That’s like saying a raise in the minimum wage should easily pass in a bipartisan way.

Because it's a lot easier to get votes when your constituents agree with your principles.

I think your viewpoint there seems consistent with the "why do people vote against their self interests" mindset. And the answer to that is they vote based on principle, not on self interest. I do the same.

Hard work is seen as a virtue to a heck of a lot of working class people in the US, it's part of the culture. There are a TON of Miches and psychs out there that will see this proposal as people wanting to be lazy, and that goes against their principles.
Well said.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:39 pm Hell yes I wanna work less.

Or should I say, “work” less. I’m glad to put more effort into things I actually care about, rather than into some sort of labor I don’t care about beyond economic survival.

With more things automated and with technology increasing productivity and all, why shouldn’t we be working less? Is there any good argument against, gasp, spending more time with loved ones or pursuing passions?

Think of it this way: if the current system didn’t already exist, and suddenly some folks told everyone “hey we expect you to work no fewer than 40 hours a week overwhelmingly for someone else who bosses you around then gets all the money about it,” we would kick those folks’s asses.
i know you've been eagerly awaiting my response.

1. I agree with you! but only kind of....
I dont think 4 day work weeks make sense for many industries but I have long been of the mindset of 4 day work weeks for construction specifically and other industries where there is extended time in getting set up/shutdown and the production occurs at a significantly more efficient rate in between those times. Note, I'm not advocating for 4 8s though, I think 4 10s is the most efficient schedule. One less set up and roll up, one less break, one less lunch, one less commute....more production per hour worked. Unfortunately, due the constant state of being behind schedule in construction (thanks PMs! who let the guy thats never done the work schedule it?)...our 4 10s always turn into 5 10s or more. Its also hard to sell to the client....they falsely associate no work on Friday as less work per week. Again, they are wrong in this assumption, but perception is hard to change.

Added bonus, when you get Friday off, you feel like you have an actual weekend and it gives the guys times to go to the doctor, run errands, do miscellaneous tasks that can only be completed on weekdays without missing time.

2. Of course you want to work less, though with your quantity of posts, I'm not sure how you could work less....

3. Posting here and on other platforms doesn't count as "putting more effort into things I care about".....

hope my response meets your expectations for ratio of serious response mixed with snark.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

I work 7 days a week some weeks. I don't work 8 straight hours on any of those days.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

the answer is gonna vary a ton based on industry.

my current situation I can work 4 day weeks...or 2....but not if I wanna be successful and make any sort of living.
Just Ledoux it
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

I’d be on board with it, but with the flexible work thing taking hold it doesn’t make much difference. I work from home now 2-3 days a week.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Mjl wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:28 pm

Why would it?

brainwashed idiots
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Most industries would benefit from switching their mindsets from time to task.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:39 am Most industries would benefit from switching their mindsets from time to task.
^^^^ Exactly. I have super busy times during the month where I might work 50-60 hours/week, but then there are times when I just feel like I have nothing to do, but I still have to put in the hours.
Deleted User 863

Cascadia wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:39 am Most industries would benefit from switching their mindsets from time to task.
Yup.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

My employer is already there. Half the reason I am still with them is due to their incredibly flexible nature on hours. They have zero problem with us lightening our hours in a slow period so long as we agree to boost our work hours in a heavy period. So long as the work gets done, we have never received any slack over how many hours we work. Sometimes my workload can get done in a 36 hour week; other weeks it takes 60+ hours.

As for 4 day work weeks, I'd personally rather work 5 than 4 as I don't see my employer being OK with less work getting done and my wife's work schedule makes it difficult for me to work four 10+ hour days every single week. She works before school hours every morning and after school hours multiple days per week plus most Saturday mornings. Less days available = less flexibility. Less flexibility means that I would be less available to go pick up/drop off my kids or take them to their activities. I'd rather work an extra day and get done earlier each day so I can spend more time with my family. We do unlimited PTO now so if I want a three day weekend I can just take it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Or should I say, “work” less. I’m glad to put more effort into things I actually care about, rather than into some sort of labor I don’t care about beyond economic survival.

With more things automated and with technology increasing productivity and all, why shouldn’t we be working less? Is there any good argument against, gasp, spending more time with loved ones or pursuing passions?

Think of it this way: if the current system didn’t already exist, and suddenly some folks told everyone “hey we expect you to work no fewer than 40 hours a week overwhelmingly for someone else who bosses you around then gets all the money about it,” we would kick those folks’s asses.
Work 4 10s vs working 5 8s means to me that I would have LESS time with my family than more. My kid is in school so having an extra day off doesn't give me an extra day with my kid. It means that I would work two extra hours into the evening four days a week when my kid is home than I would have prior. The vast majority of that extra day off I would be home by myself or just with my wife, who would be working. Me in the house not working while my wife is working is also not "more family time". Working 4 longer days vs 5 shorter days COSTS me 8 hours a week with my family.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:15 am

Work 4 10s vs working 5 8s means to me that I would have LESS time with my family than more. My kid is in school so having an extra day off doesn't give me an extra day with my kid. It means that I would work two extra hours into the evening four days a week when my kid is home than I would have prior. That COSTS me 8 hours a week with my family.
Well, since the public education system is government subsidized day care, the school schedule would also changed to 4 10s
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

my support for the idea is rooted in increased productivity due to three-day weekend

if i can get just as much done working 32 hrs/wk rather than 40, just from being better “recharged” because of a longer weekend, then why not?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:17 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:15 am

Work 4 10s vs working 5 8s means to me that I would have LESS time with my family than more. My kid is in school so having an extra day off doesn't give me an extra day with my kid. It means that I would work two extra hours into the evening four days a week when my kid is home than I would have prior. That COSTS me 8 hours a week with my family.
Well, since the public education system is government subsidized day care, the school schedule would also changed to 4 10s
Maybe, maybe not. And that would just likely result in after-school activities being run later or spread thinner on 4 days, requiring many to push out to additional days per week. The reality is different than the theoretical. People love the sound of "an extra day off" but it's likely not anything close to that.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:19 am my support for the idea is rooted in increased productivity due to three-day weekend

if i can get just as much done working 32 hrs/wk rather than 40, just from being better “recharged” because of a longer weekend, then why not?
That's a purely theoretical statement. There are many people who will also end up being much less productive in a 10 hour day that an 8 hour day due to losing focus over such an extended period of time.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

this entire discussion is theoretical
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:29 am this entire discussion is theoretical
Yeah, but twocoach still needs to shit all over it. It's his thing
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

thats twocoach's thing?

self awareness check to aisle 4
Just Ledoux it