The Reading Thread

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: The Reading Thread

Post by ousdahl »

Illy what’s your favorite Harry Potter book?

Cuz the best is clearly the prisoner of Azkaban
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:02 am Illy what’s your favorite Harry Potter book?
none of them?

I haven't even seen hardly any of the movies.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dangit bro I thought you were a millennial.

Cuz the correct answer is the Prisoner of Azkaban.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the harry potter franchise is the best of all the franchise's.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:59 am the harry potter franchise is the best of all the franchise's.
Oof, this is so telling…..
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This movement that continues to censor books ( both sides actually DO do it! ) by removing certain books from libraries or removing certain words and phrases from books and republishing sucks it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

yes its absolutely fucking dumb. and it helps no one.

It's very Fahrenheit 451

is that one banned yet?
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

probably
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the banning of Toni Morrison did it for me
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I know what books line the caged bird's cage
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Editing Robert Dahl and Ian Flemming is also disappointing.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

editing and/or banning any of them is fucking stupid.

If you dont like them, don't read them. Its all so ridiculous.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

We are always only one degree of separation from Salem. The adherents of superstition and fear never die out without passing down their worldview.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'm surprised Mark Twain hasn't been edited. Maybe he's next.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Is there a line somewhere where certain books shouldn't be in, say, elementary schools?

I ask this because of my latest Parent Teacher conference for my third-grader, who goes to a K-4 elementary school. Her teacher said she's very mature for her age, and that she reads at at least a fourth grade level.

Her concern though was that she was starting to read books that she isn't ready for yet. I then found out she was getting these books from the school library.

I really didn't like that. If she's mature enough to be the maximum grade for her school... Why would the school provide books and then tell the parents the student shouldn't read them?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yea, that’s tough.
There are definitely some books that shouldn’t be in elementary libraries.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

might have to find a copy of Civilized to Death

“When documentary filmmaker Jonnie Hughes was living with the "Insect Tribe" in a remote part of Papua New Guinea, a few of the tribesmen who had been hosting him asked Jonnie if they could visit him back in the United Kingdom. A few months later, when Jonnie pitched the idea of flying a few foragers to Lon-don, his bosses saw the documentary value and agreed to fund their trip. But Hughes was worried the visit might "pollute their culture with modern ideas, or perhaps make them terminally envious of a world beyond their reach.? After all, these were people who were living in very primitive conditions, with no refrigeration, modern medicine, television, or other marvels of modernity. By the end of the visit, however, Hughes saw things very differently:

‘With every whispered observation, they left us powerless to explain the madness of our own social norms, and when they boarded the plane back to PNG, we were the ones racked with envy-envious of their joyously interdependent community, their clear understanding of what mattered in life, their rock-solid roles, simple pleasures and ample leisure time, their lack of mortgages and debts, their indisputable "goodness." Our work appeared an obscene and dysfunctional manifestation of human existence in comparison.’

If Hughes sounds a bit like one of those silly romantics we're always being warned about, just do the numbers. Hughes says the tribesmen “were fascinated about our work/life balance, because over there, in a week, they'll spend maybe twenty hours in total collecting food, going hunting, ete.-just doing the things they need to do. The rest of their time they spend with their family, social lives . .. leisure time."

No wonder they were confused that Mark, the father in the family they were staying with, left early every morning and didn't return until evening. "Why are you doing this?" Hughes recalls them asking. "Why are you going out every day, not seeing the people that you really care about? It doesn't make any sense at all!" Mark explained that he had to work to pay for the house they were living in. "How long will you be doing this, to pay for your house?" they asked. When Mark told them about his twenty-five year mortgage, they looked at him in astonished pity, explaining that when one of them needed a house, they got together with the other men of the village and built a house in a couple of weeks.

At the end of their visit, the Insect People took just one innovation back to Papa New Guinea: the notion of putting feathers on arrows to stabilize their flight. Apparently, that was the only thing that impressed them very much about the modern world.”
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yea but can they read kcrim?