friends

Coffee talk.
shindig

Re: friends

Post by shindig »

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:16 pmBreak up with her.
lol. She’s not into sports at all and didn’t even know Mizzou was in a different conference than KU until I made her watch the game. She actually likes KU and loves Lawrence.

Quoting her during the game, “God, does Mizzou suck or what?” Lol
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Wiff wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:28 pm I don't have a single friend. Because I am a cold-hard son of a bitch with a black heart filled with rage and resentment.
I KNEW IT!
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

motherfucker, I had a feeling it would end this way.....

It wasn't unusual for Leawood to not answer my text messages every time, or not hear from him for a month or two. His health had taken a turn for the worse earlier this year and he retired and was preparing to move to South Dakota. WTF? He wouldn't say it, but I think he had a secret fantasy that he might meet Kristin Noem and get to see her neked. He had pretty much given up hope of seeing Sarah Palin neked so this would be a logical progression.

I sent him a photo from Colorado back around Solstice. It was of a huge Lauren Boebert sign on the edge of the Empire and told him that Defix and I were going to sneak up there at night and deface it. He really wanted to see a nude photo of the Congresstwat also. We didn't make that happen then, but it could still happen. Not long after that his text messages faded away. I knew his heart issues were really bad and he didn't like to talk about it. My "are you still alive?" messages were starting to feel like they were in poor taste. After a couple of months of no response I went through the somber work of looking through the obituaries this morning and found out he passed away in late July. This is how it goes sometimes with imaginary internet friends. Their real friends and family don't know we even exist and so when they pass, they are just another message board character that doesn't post any more. Unless someone knows your real name and looks for your obituary, you just fade into the ether.

Bob was a proud father, a smart lawyer, a funny drunk, and a good dude and friend with a bigger heart than he let on most of the time. I will miss his dry caustic wit.

I have already regaled you with my story of our crusade for justice in Windsor MO. But I do have a couple of other Leawood stories. At one point I was a recently divorced single guy and was invited to a friend's 50th birthday party. I knew I was going to be one of a very small number of straight males there and the only person I would know was the birthday girl, so I invited Leawood to go with me so I would have someone to talk to. He lived nearby the party house and he obliged. Now as the moniker "Leawood" might suggest, Bob was sort of a Johnson County country club preppy guy at least in appearance. But I had no clue he was going to show up to the party in his tennis whites, polo shirt and matching shorts with a god damn white tennis sweater thrown over his shoulders and tied around his neck and topsiders on. He was a muthafuckin vision of country club splendor in his "take me, I'm your ballboy" outfit. Other partygoers were "dressed up" as well because it was a gay woman's birthday party, but nobody drew the admiring looks that he did. Not only were we the only straight people in the room but we were also the only men. Not long after that my friend Stephanie put the song "It's Raining Men" on the stereo and the girls demanded we dance because they put "our song" on for us. I think we declined the girl's request and left shortly after to get a drink elsewhere. Unless you have video to prove otherwise, I am sticking with that.

After I met Annie Oakley and started growed up dating, Bob kept a close eye on the proceedings. In theory he thought the concept of having a mate was good, but in practice he never really warmed up to domestication. He really liked Annie; every now and then he would ask me if she had any friends? Annie declined making any introductions, "seriously, I couldn't do that to one of my friends." I never told him that but I am pretty sure he it would have made him laugh. Not everyone can laugh at themselves. I always take it as a real indicator of character if you can laugh at yourself, and Bob was good at self deprecation.

Another imaginary friend is gone. He will be missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5aZJBLAu1E
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

damn.

RIP Leawood.

Also, how exactly does one get "dressed up" for a gay woman's birthday party? Like do they iron their Carhartts or what?
shindig

Post by shindig »

That sucks, my condolences. RIP leawood.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Damn, RIP Leawood. Always liked his style.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Well fuck.

Leawood will be missed.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

That's a big bag of sucks. Sorry to hear/read it.
DC alluded to it in my medical issue thread but I didn't realize he passed away.
May he rest in peace.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
kubowler99

Post by kubowler99 »

FUUUUUUUK. RIP, buddy. Bob was always gracious and kind to me and my family. He'll be missed.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Fly high jayhawk
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Crap. You could tell from his posts that he was a good guy.

RIP Leawood.
Defense. Rebounds.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

This thoroughly sucks
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Bob was a straight-up guy and the biggest Jayhawk fan. I really enjoyed all of my interactions with him and all of his tailgate parties my son and I used to attend.

After a lot of texting and coercion, I talked him into going to the November KU vs MU football game at Arrowhead. He really put up a fight because he did not want to see Kansas beaten by Missouri at Arrowhead. A friend and I picked him up at his condo on the Plaza and were somewhat taken aback at his attire, considering it was freezing out and light snow was falling: He was wearing brown, tasseled loafers, with sharply pressed navy blue slacks, a pink cotton button-down shirt with a Jayhawk emblem sewn on the breast pocket, a light scarf and a navy blue cashmere coat that hit him mid shin.

He said very little all day--even during the game--but you could tell that his jaw was cleansed and his stomach was in a knot from the play on the field. His only emotion was a smile and a high five after Kerry Meiers caught the infamous Reesing/Meiers pass with a minute and a half left in the game.

On the way home we listened to the post game show on the Jayhawk Network and talked about some of the really fantastic plays we had seen. When he got out of the car he had a huge smile on his face and thanked me profusely for "forcing" him to go to the game.

RIP, Bob, you certainly will be missed.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

No one wanted to go to that KU vs MU game except you. The rest of us didn't think the miracle was gonna happen.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

defixione wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:21 pm Bob was a straight-up guy and the biggest Jayhawk fan. I really enjoyed all of my interactions with him and all of his tailgate parties my son and I used to attend.

After a lot of texting and coercion, I talked him into going to the November KU vs MU football game at Arrowhead. He really put up a fight because he did not want to see Kansas beaten by Missouri at Arrowhead. A friend and I picked him up at his condo on the Plaza and were somewhat taken aback at his attire, considering it was freezing out and light snow was falling: He was wearing brown, tasseled loafers, with sharply pressed navy blue slacks, a pink cotton button-down shirt with a Jayhawk emblem sewn on the breast pocket, a light scarf and a navy blue cashmere coat that hit him mid shin.

He said very little all day--even during the game--but you could tell that his jaw was cleansed and his stomach was in a knot from the play on the field. His only emotion was a smile and a high five after Kerry Meiers caught the infamous Reesing/Meiers pass with a minute and a half left in the game.

On the way home we listened to the post game show on the Jayhawk Network and talked about some of the really fantastic plays we had seen. When he got out of the car he had a huge smile on his face and thanked me profusely for "forcing" him to go to the game.

RIP, Bob, you certainly will be missed.
That's a nice story. Thanks for sharing.

I went back and re-read many of his posts.
He gave me some good advice. Sad and somewhat shameful I appreciate him more now that he's gone.

If anyone wants to see his posts.....
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author=Leawood
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Thanks japhy.
Thanks Leawood.

I’m glad he got to see KU win a title on his last year here.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I loved Bob.

I left the board in part because he and I were getting to where we would grump at one another (less playfully than usual), and I couldn't stand it.

I knew he wasn't well, but after I mentioned it on the medical issues thread, it occurred to me that it wasn't my story to share. (Sorry to leave you hangin', '99.) I hoped I'd see that thread bumped someday, along with a "Fuck you, DC. I'm fine."

Dammit.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

No worries, DC. Hope you stick around.

For someone I never met, I'm really bummed.
Defense. Rebounds.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

One of my best friends just passed from ALS.
Sucks
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

japhy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:47 pm No one wanted to go to that KU vs MU game except you. The rest of us didn't think the miracle was gonna happen.
In the end, those memories are what life is all about.

❤️