HAPPY HOLIDAYS, YOU DOUCHEBAGS

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Re: HAPPY HOLIDAYS, YOU DOUCHEBAGS

Post by japhy »

Overlander wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:04 pm Oh, I also wanted to see about making an offer on “Big Blue”

I simply HAVE to have it!
You know that ain't happenin.

We won't really have room for parking campers overnight behind Mor Valu and parking behind the Walker will belong to the Young People for Vulture Capitalism group. That parking area on west side of main street may be less private next year.

The back of Pizza No Mas will be an indoor/outdoor shitshow arena by then, and the Spud Lounge will be connected to it by an outdoor space. It will be less dusty over there and cooler in the afternoon if we want to move the afternoon/evening gatherings over there. We may need a grill, a kegerator and a great bartender of course.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

japhy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:17 am
Overlander wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:04 pm Oh, I also wanted to see about making an offer on “Big Blue”

We won't really have room for parking campers overnight behind Mor Valu and parking behind the Walker will belong to the Young People for Vulture Capitalism group. That parking area on west side of main street may be less private next year.

The back of Pizza No Mas will be an indoor/outdoor shitshow arena by then, and the Spud Lounge will be connected to it by an outdoor space. It will be less dusty over there and cooler in the afternoon if we want to move the afternoon/evening gatherings over there. We may need a grill, a kegerator and a great bartender of course.
I can tend bar, with a limited ability:
Dark Manhattan
Old Fashioned
Bloody Mary

Short list, but they will be epic.
Obviously, my Manhattan legacy rings out.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Will you work for free drinks? And by "free", I mean you supply the alcohol and the mixers and the ice.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

japhy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:55 am Will you work for free drinks? And by "free", I mean you supply the alcohol and the mixers and the ice.
For a very brief period of time
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

One day and two nights is about all we need.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Overlander wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:20 pm

Dark Manhattan
Old Fashioned
Bloody Mary

I tended bar at Benchwarmers back in the day, circa 1994, but 90% of it was filling plastic cups with crappy kegger beer. Bloody Mary's were popular for the early crowd, so got good at making those.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

shindig wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:55 pm

Dark Manhattan
Old Fashioned
Bloody Mary

I tended bar at Benchwarmers back in the day, circa 1994, but 90% of it was filling plastic cups with crappy kegger beer. Bloody Mary's were popular for the early crowd, so got good at making those.
That's a good lookin resume you got there. Overlander will probably need a back up this year due to the increase we expect in visitors.

Report to the Shitshow on 6/25 at 3:00 PM and Overlander will give you a bartender's apron. Follow his lead. We can move Ousdahl and I back to busboys which better suits our skillset.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Sounds like a good time. Might have to look into it. Great time to be in Colorado.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Benchwarmers?

More like, someone just got the starting spot!
shindig

Post by shindig »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:19 pm Benchwarmers?

More like, someone just got the starting spot!
You probably weren't even there when it was open, not sure when it closed, but man, when it opened in the early 1990's, it was the place to be, especially Thursday nights, 25 cent draws...line out the door waiting to get in....lol.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

japhy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:13 pm
shindig wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:55 pm

Dark Manhattan
Old Fashioned
Bloody Mary

That's a good lookin resume you got there. Overlander will probably need a back up this year due to the increase we expect in visitors.

Report to the Shitshow on 6/25 at 3:00 PM and Overlander will give you a bartender's apron. Follow his lead. We can move Ousdahl and I back to busboys which better suits our skillset.
I brought a gallon of Manhattan’s to Solstice 21. Ran out just as the crowd dispersed. Word spread pretty fast, Japhy is a master promoter.

There was a constant flow of folks coming back to our hidden compound saying “I hear you make a really good Manhattan”

Happy to share with good folks. Anyone here that chooses to mingle would really enjoy Solstice 22
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"can tend bar, with a limited ability:
Dark Manhattan
Old Fashioned
Bloody Mary"

I'll take all three but depending on the time of day, in different order.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

pdub wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:55 pm "can tend bar, with a limited ability:
Dark Manhattan
Old Fashioned
Bloody Mary"

I'll take all three but depending on the time of day, in different order.
Our days start at about 4:00 in the afternoon out there . . .
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Then 2, 2, 2, 1, 1 and then 3.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Happy Festivus you guys!

Figure we’ll set this up here:

Should we have the airing of the grievances here, or just include that with the feats of strength in the QT thread?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Grievances; I’ll start since I have a recent one.

So the founder of our firm retired a couple of years ago and our firm turned 40 this year. The folks in charge of social media decided they should ask the “old man” 40 questions including what was the most favoritest greatest engineering accomplishment of his career. He mentions a project he had no meaningful contact with and didn’t want us to pursue. Our social media folks put this on our facebook page again this morning as “our bestest social media story of the year” and one of my partners reminded me it was back up with a big grin.

A party of four partners went to Santa Monica in 1997, the architect wanted to vet me as this was the biggest project any of our firms had undertaken. Since it was proposed that a 37 year old kid was going to be in responsible charge of it, the “old man” was there to add his senior gravitas to our contingent. As we were standing in the architect’s office looking at the giant model of the project the “old man” leaned over to me and the other partners and said, “I wouldn’t touch this with a 10 foot pole”. I took him at his word and applied for registration in Washington State the next morning and he never saw anything more of the project again until it was completed.

Last month the “old man” told his greatest career accomplishment story; about meeting Frank Gehry (true) and the technical challenges he conquered on the project (not true) and about personally naming a portion of the building (absolutely not true).

Right before our first meeting to look at the project in Santa Monica, the “old man” was regaling myself and the two other partners with a story of a recent trip to Chicago. At a certain time of the day, the sun reflects off a building and made a bright cross on a side walk on Michigan Avenue (probably in front of Gutter’s apartment). There were people there placing candles near the cross shaped reflection and saying prayers and calling it a miracle. As we were looking at the project model in Santa Monica I said to the “old man” and the other two partners, “there’s your next urban miracle, the Madonna of the Monorail”. After the “old man” retold the story of how he named the Madonna Wall in his social media memoir, both of the other partners who were there texted me, “that’s not exactly how I member that morning”.

This is the second time he has done something like this over the years. After the project opened, the local newspaper where our headquarters are located called our home office and asked to interview someone about the project. The “old man” volunteered to do the interview. Someone asked if maybe the press should talk to Japhy. The “old man” waved them off, he would take care of this. I heard nothing about it until one of my partners sent me a link to the article in the newspaper a week later and asked jokingly if anything the “old man” said was true.

Well; he did correctly name the architect.

When the project was completed I was going out to Seattle for the grand opening. We don’t normally go to openings but this project was a big deal for the firm and was getting national press. I told my partners I was taking the project engineer along, since he put 4 years of his life into making this happened and he deserved as much if not more credit than me. The “old man” chimes in, “if we send people out there for that we will eat up every penny we got paid on this, we lost a lot of money on this project.” The CFO chimed in, “we made 20% profit on this project, the most profit we have ever made, by hundreds of thousands of dollars, on a single project.” The “old man” replied, “oh, I didn’t know that”. Um, you just said you “knew” we lost money on it dickhead. We all agreed we could afford to reward my right hand guy for his work and booked his flight to Seattle.

The “old man” immediately booked a flight to Seattle for the opening as well.

When we got to the opening there was a VIP group that got to enter an hour or so before the common people. My name was on the VIP list and so was the project engineer’s ( and chiknbut who held the front door open for Noel Redding while he pushed Al Hendrix’s wheelchair in). But the “old man” didn’t make the cut. No one on the project knew who he was.

And the OCEA award we won for the project, the only one in our firm’s history, sits on my desk.

But as my partner sneered at me this morning, “you are still a little bitter”.

There; grievance aired.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

A grievance to some, a refreshing anecdote to others. Thank you!
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

The Madonna of the Monorail.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

japhy wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:15 pm Grievances; I’ll start since I have a recent one.

So the founder of our firm retired a couple of years ago and our firm turned 40 this year. The folks in charge of social media decided they should ask the “old man” 40 questions including what was the most favoritest greatest engineering accomplishment of his career. He mentions a project he had no meaningful contact with and didn’t want us to pursue. Our social media folks put this on our facebook page again this morning as “our bestest social media story of the year” and one of my partners reminded me it was back up with a big grin.

A party of four partners went to Santa Monica in 1997, the architect wanted to vet me as this was the biggest project any of our firms had undertaken. Since it was proposed that a 37 year old kid was going to be in responsible charge of it, the “old man” was there to add his senior gravitas to our contingent. As we were standing in the architect’s office looking at the giant model of the project the “old man” leaned over to me and the other partners and said, “I wouldn’t touch this with a 10 foot pole”. I took him at his word and applied for registration in Washington State the next morning and he never saw anything more of the project again until it was completed.

Last month the “old man” told his greatest career accomplishment story; about meeting Frank Gehry (true) and the technical challenges he conquered on the project (not true) and about personally naming a portion of the building (absolutely not true).

Right before our first meeting to look at the project in Santa Monica, the “old man” was regaling myself and the two other partners with a story of a recent trip to Chicago. At a certain time of the day, the sun reflects off a building and made a bright cross on a side walk on Michigan Avenue (probably in front of Gutter’s apartment). There were people there placing candles near the cross shaped reflection and saying prayers and calling it a miracle. As we were looking at the project model in Santa Monica I said to the “old man” and the other two partners, “there’s your next urban miracle, the Madonna of the Monorail”. After the “old man” retold the story of how he named the Madonna Wall in his social media memoir, both of the other partners who were there texted me, “that’s not exactly how I member that morning”.

This is the second time he has done something like this over the years. After the project opened, the local newspaper where our headquarters are located called our home office and asked to interview someone about the project. The “old man” volunteered to do the interview. Someone asked if maybe the press should talk to Japhy. The “old man” waved them off, he would take care of this. I heard nothing about it until one of my partners sent me a link to the article in the newspaper a week later and asked jokingly if anything the “old man” said was true.

Well; he did correctly name the architect.

When the project was completed I was going out to Seattle for the grand opening. We don’t normally go to openings but this project was a big deal for the firm and was getting national press. I told my partners I was taking the project engineer along, since he put 4 years of his life into making this happened and he deserved as much if not more credit than me. The “old man” chimes in, “if we send people out there for that we will eat up every penny we got paid on this, we lost a lot of money on this project.” The CFO chimed in, “we made 20% profit on this project, the most profit we have ever made, by hundreds of thousands of dollars, on a single project.” The “old man” replied, “oh, I didn’t know that”. Um, you just said you “knew” we lost money on it dickhead. We all agreed we could afford to reward my right hand guy for his work and booked his flight to Seattle.

The “old man” immediately booked a flight to Seattle for the opening as well.

When we got to the opening there was a VIP group that got to enter an hour or so before the common people. My name was on the VIP list and so was the project engineer’s ( and chiknbut who held the front door open for Noel Redding while he pushed Al Hendrix’s wheelchair in). But the “old man” didn’t make the cut. No one on the project knew who he was.

And the OCEA award we won for the project, the only one in our firm’s history, sits on my desk.

But as my partner sneered at me this morning, “you are still a little bitter”.

There; grievance aired.
It's good you've gotten this off your chest, sir.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Merry xmas eve to all that celebrate it and good day to all who dont.

As mean as some of you are, I'm mostly still glad to spend time on this site and to hear what you have to say.

And we are mostly all Jayhawk fans so that should matter most.