Solstice

Coffee talk.
Cascadia

Re: Solstice

Post by Cascadia »

What’s the peyote situation in the empire?
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

Bro the peyote situation is the empire.

You think any part of this thread is real?
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Papa, is that you?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

40 years before Brown vs Board of Education.

https://www.rmpbs.org/blogs/rocky-mount ... -colorado/
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Beginning this year, Solstice is going to have a poet laureate and there will be a poetry speaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7WH_pxtWPU
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

At the 11:05 mark you will see the work of Hyeyoung Shin from Kansas City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbSJQKpv93g
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

For those of you interested in architecture/construction/engineering/technology you will be able to see Ron Rael use a 3D printing robot to build an adobe structure this summer during Solstice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBFpV_1pewI&t=
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I haven't met these folks yet but there are definitely beers on the patio in the Springs in our future. It turns out that The Yard is on the next street over from our house in the Springs. I have issued an invite to Solstice to them as well.

https://video.rmpbs.org/video/whats-yard-ie12zu/
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Yes, I know, the civilization as we know it may be coming to an end soon but the party must go on.

This morning's big news......there will be a movie at the Frontier Drive In for the first time in about 40 years on the evening of Solstice!

That afternoon a food event called The Dish will be held at the Frontier which will be a valley wide chili cook off featuring cash prizes for best red and for green chili dishes. We might not need the fish fry truck now.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Well this is something I didn't see coming. But there it is.

I don't know the dude in the Chiefs hat. I was drinking beer with friends last weekend out in the Empire and was told there is "real KC BBQ out here now". This is from someone who lives in Saguache now, but who grew up in KC and is a Bryants addict. He gave samples of the BBQ to his two sons who were as skeptical as I was but they both said, "actually this is the real deal". My buddy is trying to convince the owners they should sell BBQ on a more regular basis. Currently they only do it once a week.

The ball just started rolling down hill faster.

https://coloradosun.com/2022/03/04/seve ... b6c4446c10
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i always think it would be cool to do a food truck or hole-in-the-wall bbq joint…right up to the point that i go to the effort to do something substantial

fuck that. i couldn’t imagine trying to do that as my day job, all day every day, and do it well with variety
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:43 pm i always think it would be cool to do a food truck or hole-in-the-wall bbq joint…right up to the point that i go to the effort to do something substantial

fuck that. i couldn’t imagine trying to do that as my day job, all day every day, and do it well with variety
Some friends of mine recently successfully went from trying their hand on the BBQ circuit to opening up two restaurants within the past couple of years in KC.

A ton of work, time, and money invested. Not sure if they are turning profit yet--none of my business. The reward for this success: being part of a volatile restaurant industry where most places fail. And then add on that BBQ is unique in that you are basically up all night working on the meat.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Most of the small towns in Saguache County have no places to get food in town. Whether that be a restaurant or a grocery. There is only one actual legitimate grocery in the whole County that I have seen. And we moved in across the street from it. Places like the Villa Grove Trade act as a restaurant/coffee shop/limited grocery/dry goods....they usually sell a little bit of everything just to scrape by. So the restaurant is only one of many side gigs. And probably more work than the rest of them combined. They will have a tough go since they are in the least populated end of the valley. They probably make a living on the drive thru traffic on 285 going somewhere else. This music festival will be a massive influx of customers for those folks. I will buy BBQ next time I pass thru if they are selling BBQ that day.

My buddy in Saguache just told me they are expecting 15,000-20,000 people showing up for the event but they are making preparations for 30,000. That is 5X the population of the entire County. We will see what this does to the Empire. This will be the largest event in regards to visitors and influx of cash they have ever seen. In the least populated part of the valley. They were talking 1,500 -2,000 part time employees to run this thing.

If you are going to go, fill your tank with gas and grab groceries in Salida before you head over the pass. After that you will have to drive all the way down to Alamosa to get the stuff you need.

The valley may be a different place by the end of this summer.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

japhy wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:30 pm Well this is something I didn't see coming. But there it is.

I don't know the dude in the Chiefs hat. I was drinking beer with friends last weekend out in the Empire and was told there is "real KC BBQ out here now". This is from someone who lives in Saguache now, but who grew up in KC and is a Bryants addict. He gave samples of the BBQ to his two sons who were as skeptical as I was but they both said, "actually this is the real deal". My buddy is trying to convince the owners they should sell BBQ on a more regular basis. Currently they only do it once a week.

The ball just started rolling down hill faster.

https://coloradosun.com/2022/03/04/seve ... b6c4446c10
Food truck time.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Another project getting funding in the Empire. This near the southern end of the valley. In the photo of the SPMDTU Building you can see Chavez Southwest Market. If you drive down to Antonito to see the Chip Thomas' mural install and Canno's Towers, be sure to stop in and look around Chavez Market. If you like chili this is a great place to stock up. I usually buy Chimayo chili in one pound bags from them and bring it back to KC and distribute it to friends. It is about time to go back down there and replenish my supply.

https://www.alamosacitizen.com/spmdtu-a ... wQcXKDYo-k

https://spmdtu.org
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I won't deny that I am full of shit. But I am not completely full of shit, there is usually a kernel or two of reality in my wildest of stories. Brian and Keith are good dudes, Defix and Overlander can vouch for that.

https://www.alamosacitizen.com/podcast/ ... ian-lujan/
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Yep
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I just spoke to the director of marching bands for the Empire. The opening "parade" will start with us all doing the Rock Chalk chant this year, and we will end by "waving the wheat".
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

The schedule for Solstice 2022 is set.

June 24 : 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Ron Rael 3D printing of adobe "pods" ( Frontier Drive In )
8:00 PM - Midnight Pre-party at the Spud Lounge

June 25 : 10:00 AM Marching band ( Espiritu del Sol ) parade down Worth Street
10:05 AM - 4:00 PM Solstice collage art event
4:00 PM- 7:00 PM The Dish - San Luis Valley Chili Cookoff (Frontier Drive In )
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM Musical performance (Frontier Drive In )
9:00 PM - 11:00 PM Movie (Frontier Drive In )
11:00 PM - 1:00 AM Afterparty at the Spud Lounge
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

1:00 AM til Plano gets arrested for jaywalking: After-afterparty at the speakeasy

also what's the Spanish word for "speakeasy?"