Site Admin

Re: Solstice

Post by pdub »

Chili cook off in late June?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I thought I was the only person who only wants chili when it's cold outside. Mrs 99 thinks I'm nuts for this.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

unless it’s sweltering out, i can eat chili year-round (but i don’t generally make it myself unless it’s cold out)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

pdub wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:50 am Chili cook off in late June?
It might be 80 deg mid day, but it will be about 45 when the sun comes up and when it goes down. It's a good time to stock up on dried chilis for the year. Drive down to Antonito and visit the Chavez Southwest Market. You can buy 1 pound bags of Chimayo chili. I use it in almost everything I cook. It is next door to the SPMDTU. The haunted Lafayette Head compound is just north of there on the old town square in Conejos. And just a few blocks NE of there is Cano's Towers.

https://www.rmpbs.org/blogs/rocky-mount ... -superior/

Ron Rael will be there and so will Mario Zoots.

http://mariozoots.com
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

nothing like legit Chimayo chili
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ah, 45 degrees is just fine for chili.
If it's above 70, i'd prefer other meals than chili personally.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90GxBkWShU8

This building is next door to Chavez Market in Antonito.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Looking back, think Ousy and I should have worn Lucha Libre masks when we infiltrated the local, illegal, Mexican watering hole at last years Solstice.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so I'm not gonna be able to make the solstice party after all this year. Sorry.

to make up for it, I'm willing to come down and visit any other couple days you guys might be willing to have me.

I'll bring Lucha Libre masks and everything!
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Yeah,
I am not going to make it this year either. Just too much going on here in CDA.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Who is going to live blog now?
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:15 am so I'm not gonna be able to make the solstice party after all this year. Sorry.

to make up for it, I'm willing to come down and visit any other couple days you guys might be willing to have me.

I'll bring Lucha Libre masks and everything!
We're going to try to be out there the 16th or 17th of June and return to Lawrence on the 3rd of July. You're more than welcome to come down--you have my #.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Thanks defixione!

Maybe late June/first couple days in July…Japhy you gonna be around too?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I will be out there from June 20-26. I will be back out the weekend of Sept 30 for an event. In between those dates is unclear. But it is likely that some time in July or august I will be back. That next trip after Solstice will just be for fun. Construction will be on hiatus and I will be going fishing. Let's stay in touch.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

The first public movie in about 50 years will be shown at the Frontier Drive In next Saturday night after our Solstice event in Center CO. Last night the Dish event committee chose The Wizard of Oz to be that film. There will be a sizable contingent of Jayhawks there. After driving through triple digit heat on the Plains to get to the San Luis Valley, I expect a cheer to rise up from the crowd when we hear this line.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPnfuczOWb8
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

The chili cook off was canceled due to a covid outbreak amongst the food vendors. The band was canceled as well.

But the party must go on. So we got another keg of beer.

The second night of the party, the projector at the Frontier gave out.

But we partied on. Reinforcements arrived from Denver with Willie Nelson prerolls.

We found another projector and showed "Dr Strangelove" in the old Ford garage. The garage is a new venue this year. 10,000 sf of lounge and dance hall. The service window of the garage is a bar and the showroom is a lounge/dining hall. The garage space at 7,000 sf with 20 foot ceilings is a great dance hall and screening room. A sculptor from Denver was looking at the big space and wants to know if she can come back and do something big inside. There is an old chain hoist in there that runs on a trolley beam almost 50 feet. I will bring an outdated fall protection harness next year and we can ride that bastard from one side of the garage to the other. It may be a Disney themed ride, we are thinking "The Tinkerbell Experience". You put on a tutu and hold a wand while you fly across the room.

I was walking down the street with someone Saturday night who was there years ago and he told me, "this reminds me of the early years of Marfa." During the collage art event someone who has made the list as one of the "top 200 art collectors in the world" was in the studio taking photos of work on the walls. An artist from Denver has asked to come back in July to spend the weekend in the studio, he is going to paint a mural on the back of the building and make more collages out of the old Mexican movie posters. Another artist who recently had a residency at the Momentary wants to live in the studio for the month of August and make some shit. Rocky Mountain PBS wants to visit and see what the fuck is going on over there.

The days of open invites are going to be gone soon.

Starting like Marfa is one thing, ending up like Marfa is another.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i just got images of a naked Julianne Moore swinging from the chains like a banshee and tossing paint
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Your not far off . . .
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

There were multiple birthdays over the course of the last few weeks so we commissioned the world's largest tres leches cake.

The "Service Window" bar.

The lounge.

The dance hall/screening room. Cerberus Brewing out of the Springs provided beer and cooked a smoked pork roast dinner.