Metaverse

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Metaverse

Post by ousdahl »

Been increasingly curious about this.

What is it, exactly? Basically taking the user experience of a video game and applying it to every day tasks?

What’ll it take? A big hardware product, such as some VR headset or something? Plus all the software to make it tick?

Why does Zuck of all people think he’ll be the best architect for it? Besides the fact he’s got so much cash.
Deleted User 863

Re: Metaverse

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Bored Ape Yacht Club
ProudBoy

Post by ProudBoy »

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

The prescience of that movie in multiple ways is a bit... disturbing
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The thing is, Facebook isn’t that good at developing hardware. Maybe their plan is to just buy up who ever is?

They’re not that good at software either. Or if they are good at software, it’s software designed more than anything else to hoard personal data to then sell for ad revenue, rather than a favorable user experience.

Then there’s the whole reputation thing. Zuck and FB continue to find themselves the subject of criticism, in large part cuz of privacy and moderation issues. And they think the solution to those issues is a MORE intrusive user experience?

And the thought that such a network seems like it would have to be developed with the user experience in mind to succeed, while Zuck is prob developing it less in terms of user experience and more in terms of his own for-profit end game.

As more meta type products are offered, is he gonna work alongside them so different products are compatible with one another? Or work to acquire all the others so the metaverse can be monopolized? Do we really want a thing with this kind of scope to be controlled by just one dood? Especially just one dood who’s demonstrated himself to be a shithead

And even more generally, while apparently VR is popular for video games, I just dunno how many people are gonna wanna strap a device to their heads to be a cartoon version of themselves for everything from dating to grocery shopping or whatever. But I’m not exactly an early adopter for tech shit, so I’m not the best to ask.
ProudBoy

Post by ProudBoy »

Mjl wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:45 am The prescience of that movie in multiple ways is a bit... disturbing
Speaking of, I’ve seen a commercial several times for a “new” reality competition show (on TBS, I think) where the schtick if one of the contestants is literally just to hit themselves in the balls in as varied ways as possible. It seems straight out if Idiocracy (Ouch, my balls), which has a number of other predictive qualities as well.
ProudBoy

Post by ProudBoy »

Apple is better-positioned to “lead” on the Metaverse thing, despite Zuck’s efforts and ambition.

Check out their new goggles if you’re curious.

One of the best applications I’ve seen of whole Metaverse idea is in healthcare, where various components of the human body can be separated and manipulated in 3D space, among other things.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's very much a real thing.
More people are buying Quests than any other VR unit ( currently ) - affordability is a big reason - but Facebook doesn't care if they are loosing any money on the initial purchase - they want the market and the data.

Owneable virtual space is going to be common place.
People will spend more and more time in virtual worlds not only to escape/entertainment but for work purposes too.
I am deciding how much I want to be a part of it as there's good money in it's future ( but it's also kind of against how I want the world to be ).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So Quest is an Occulus product…as in, Facebook didn’t design it themselves so just as just acquire it through their own too-big-to-fail monopolistic stranglehold they’ve got on tech and social media?

And virtual space seems to have a lot of potential. I guess what freaks me out is that right now it seems destined for monopolistic control. I don’t think that’s a good thing.

Individual social media platforms are screwed up enough in large part cuz one greedy asshole controls them, but this almost seems like it’ll be one greedy asshole trying to control some new iteration of the entire Internet.

Isn’t much of the success of the Internet cuz of the fact it’s been some shared thing? Its end game is actually about connecting people, not just about profits for one guy or company.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:22 am Been increasingly curious about this.

What is it, exactly? Basically taking the user experience of a video game and applying it to every day tasks?

What’ll it take? A big hardware product, such as some VR headset or something? Plus all the software to make it tick?

Why does Zuck of all people think he’ll be the best architect for it? Besides the fact he’s got so much cash.
Welcome to Second Life from 14 years ago.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:18 pm So Quest is an Occulus product…as in, Facebook didn’t design it themselves so just as just acquire it through their own too-big-to-fail monopolistic stranglehold they’ve got on tech and social media?

And virtual space seems to have a lot of potential. I guess what freaks me out is that right now it seems destined for monopolistic control. I don’t think that’s a good thing.

Individual social media platforms are screwed up enough in large part cuz one greedy asshole controls them, but this almost seems like it’ll be one greedy asshole trying to control some new iteration of the entire Internet.

Isn’t much of the success of the Internet cuz of the fact it’s been some shared thing? Its end game is actually about connecting people, not just about profits for one guy or company.
Facebook is not too big to fail. You misunderstand that concept if you think it is.
Facebook is not bad at creating software (previous post).
Facebook is one of the top five domestic tech companies. And they're the only one that is a social media company. And they're the biggest social media company. It seems like they're better positioned to do this than anyone else.

Your problem with this is Mark Zuckerberg getting richer? Wtaf.

As opposed to, say, the dystopian future it seems to be shooting for.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What would cause Facebook to fail, despite its size then?

a big reason why they’re the biggest social media company is cuz they had a chance to grow and either smother or simply buy up competition in an era that has deferred to big corporations more so than be sticklers about antitrust law

But, hey. You got me! Yeah I have a problem with Zuck getting richer. Do you wanna defend the dood and how his career has gone? Wtaf, indeed.

The privacy issues, the misinformation issues, the psychological issues, the moderation and censorship issues, the user experience as an afterthought in favor of revenue…you really want that guy having even more power yet? There may be more metrics to measure career success than simply how money one’s made. Wtaf who am I kidding, this is Merica, no they ain’t!

But for real, his core competency is mostly algorithms to hoard personal data that drives ad sales. How does that translate to being best equipped for the metaverse?

And yeah, I think this all stands to be far more dystopian, if it’s less about virtually connecting communities, and more about just making one guy more powerful.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

The idea of "too big to fail" is that a company would be bailed out by the Government if it were to fail. That's not the case with Facebook. So I don't know why you're using that expression, other than just to be rhetorical as usual, facts be damned.

I have no problem with Zuckerberg. He has made some mistakes and built something that got so big that he couldn't control it. There's a real discussion to be had about what kind of regulation of social media is necessary. It's impossible to have when you paint the CEOs as facile cartoon villains.

And then there's this: "But for real, his core competency is mostly algorithms to hoard personal data that drives ad sales. How does that translate to being best equipped for the metaverse".

Rhetorical and almost comically illogical.

And this: "And yeah, I think this all stands to be far more dystopian, if it’s less about virtually connecting communities, and more about just making one guy more powerful."

I mean, same thing, just rhetorical and illogical. People can get rich AND other people can benefit at the same time. You seem to think that's not possible, based on everything you argue all the time. "Screw the rich, who cares about everyone else as long as the rich suffer!". If that's not it (which it really seems to be), your entire anti-capitalist attitude is all based on this false notion that someone getting rich means others suffer.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

You don't want to have a serious conversation about any of this. If you did you wouldn't have such wildly illogical arguments. If you really don't understand what makes them illogical I can break them down for you, but you don't want that. You just want to have your facile view of the world where rich people are these cartoon victims that we're fighting against, and that's all you ever fucking talk about. Fucking LARPing.
ProudBoy

Post by ProudBoy »

You don’t have a problem with Zuck knowing his platforms were “problematic” (to put it lightly), and yet did relatively little to address the issues?

(misinformation and self-image/social damage to teens)

They were literally about to unveil an Instagram for kids before, what I believe to be rightful outrage stopped them (at least temporarily).
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

First part - not really? I mean, that gets into the discussion of what "good" looks like. Is there a social media platform that is doing things the right way? They put in place algorithms and a huge staff to monitor things to an extent, but they can't have highly qualified people examining every post and account.

The efficiency of social media is what people have a problem with, right? Like, if people were using telephone or snail mail or even email to get their extremists views circulated, people wouldn't say we need to have people monitoring every piece of mail, right? So the thing that makes social media good is also what enables the bad. I don't know what is right in terms of what kind of brakes need to be put on.

I think there was good intent behind Instagram for kids in terms of isolating the environment to keep creepers out... I am not sure about the details of how they planned to execute that.
ProudBoy

Post by ProudBoy »

As the adage says, “With great power comes great responsibility”.

I think it’s fairly obvious that Zuck has shirked that responsibility on multiple fronts.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:44 pm You don't want to have a serious conversation about any of this. If you did you wouldn't have such wildly illogical arguments. If you really don't understand what makes them illogical I can break them down for you, but you don't want that. You just want to have your facile view of the world where rich people are these cartoon victims that we're fighting against, and that's all you ever fucking talk about. Fucking LARPing.
DC’s back!

Wait a sec.

Sorry mjl. I had you confused with another condescendingly coy poster.

And sorry if you don’t perceive me as wanting to have a serious conversation.

But dude, my criticism of Zuck is hardly unique. Dude’s been in a LOT of hot water lately, to say the least. Heck, many have suggested the whole Meta drop was just a PR stunt to distract from all the other bad press about the company.

Heck, even Zuck himself has basically gone from “let FB regulate themselves” to “lol even FB is bad at regulating FB lol”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:52 pm Is there a social media platform that is doing things the right way?
Craigslist